Advocating for the legal rights of cyclists

Avery Burdett

Mar 1, 2018, 11:38:08 AM3/1/18
to Ottawa Bicycle Club Forum

Just following up on previous posts. The pursuit continues of organizations whose websites misrepresent the Highway Traffic Act as it applies to cyclists. The City of Ottawa and Cycling Toronto (an advocacy group) had already made changes to their websites. The City of Toronto is the latest to respond and has modified its page headed "Cycling & the Law". Removed are representations of cyclists riding two abreast one of which depicted a common situation but was inaccurately identified as illegal.
This is one more source that motorists can no longer cite when disputes over our legal right to occupy a whole lane arise. Issues remain with the Ministry of Transport (completely non-responsive) and the Canadian Automobile Association (under review). If anyone knows of other sites which need fixing, let me know and I'll be glad to go after those responsible.
Avery Burdett