Two abreast cycling a public issue again

Avery Burdett

Oct 20, 2016, 11:16:05 AM10/20/16
to Ottawa Bicycle Club Forum
A letter to The Citizen Oct 14 from a motorist described an incident last September that involved four cyclists riding two abreast. Unbeknownst to the writer, the cyclists were very experienced members of the OBC. Since the four were clearly riding legally and in such a manner as to preserve their own safety I was impelled to submit a response (Oct 17).

This is the second time this year that two abreast cycling has been a public issue (see my post on this forum Jun 29). This latest incident has caused a significant reaction on Facebook among the sportif cycling community. As a result, I initiated a poll on Facebook asking OBC members as to whether the Club should be taking a public stand against such attacks. As of today over 120 have indicated that OBC should be acting publicly in respect of a practice that is core to OBC's activities.