Tandem Racing at the Canadian Championships

peter.tregunno

Jul 5, 2016, 10:27:42 AM7/5/16
to Ottawa Bicycle Club Forum

For me, as one of the organizers of last week's Canadian Road Cycling Championships, a big highlight was watching the para cycling races.

We don't often get to see para cyclists out riding, let alone racing. I had the privilege of driving the lead car for the the handcycle race - these riders motor!!! Being so low to the ground, and so aero, any time the road pointed slightly down, they were moving at upwards of 60 km/h. Very impressive handling in the hairpin corners too.

The tandem race was amazing too. Imagine a pack of tandems racing hard. And then imagine being the stoker - the read rider - the visually impaired team member.

The trust and communication between the two team members... one missed weight shift in this hairpin turn spells disaster for the team...

Next up for a few of these teams - Rio!

Ron Stoneham

Jul 5, 2016, 11:50:10 AM7/5/16
to peter.tregunno, Ottawa Bicycle Club Forum

Peter, you can't help but be amazed by these racers.  I was at the turn around at Gatineau/Champlain junction and one of the para-cyclists had a cable disconnection as he was fighting his way up to us.  He was virtually in tears at the disappointment of the mechanical breakdown.  He had trained in Florida as well as here and had logged about 2,000 kms.

I was also in tears as we lifted him into the back of the support van.

I'll never complain about my sore knees again................well almost never.

Cheers, Ron

PS:  Thanx for being an integral part of such a successful event.

--
Visit us at http://www.ottawabicycleclub.ca
Forum help available at http://www.ottawabicycleclub.ca/discussion-forum-instructions

robert_ve3vpl

Jul 5, 2016, 11:55:19 AM7/5/16
to Ottawa Bicycle Club Forum
Hear, hear. As I was taking pics of them racing by lieing face-up in the noonday sun and heat, I kept thinking what a wimp I was.