OStatus + OInvite?

David Fuelling

Mar 24, 2010, 4:39:52 PM3/24/10
to ostatus
Hey Guys,

I saw your project a few weeks ago on the Diso list--very cool work
you're doing!

So, I've been tinkering with the idea of a standard mechanism to allow
a user in one social network to ask a user in different social network
to be "friends". This is more common in a Facebook-like environment
where everything is private until one user invites another user to
"become friends". However, in the micro-blogging world this idea of
"will you communicate with me" still occurs. For example, on Twitter
when you want to view a private feed you must first request access by
inviting the user to give it to you. The result is a communications
relationship whereby one user listens to another user's private
tweets.

With that said, I notice that "accessing private feeds" is currenlty
out-of-scope in OStatus, and I'm wondering if this is something you'd
be open to re-considering, possibly as an OStatus Extension or maybe
as part of the main spec?

The reason I'm interested in all of this is I drafted a spec called
OInvite, which might have some bearing on the whole "accessing private
feeds" problem. OInvite is aimed at allowing two services to
communicate their user's intentions surrounding communications
permissions. The idea is that if user A wants to access user B's
private feed (or other protected resource) on a different system
(read: different social network) then there needs to be some sort of
standardized protocol dealing with permission requests (not
necessarily the permission itself, but the request to give
permission).

After reading about OStatus, I started wondering if OInvite might be
used in some capacity with OStatus to help solve the "protected feed"
problem, likely along with OAuth/XRD and the rest. After all, it
seems like in order to do private messaging in the micro-blogging
context, we first need an invitation protocol to allow the
communicating to happen in the first place (even if the communicating
is merely me reading your private feed, and commenting on it).

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on using OStatus to access
private feeds, as well as whether or not OInvite might play some kind
of role here with OStatus.

Thanks!

david

Project Page: http://www.oinvite.net
Discussion Group: http://groups.google.com/group/oinvite

tyler gillies

Mar 24, 2010, 8:33:14 PM3/24/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
With Ostatus, there is no "social network" besides *the* social network [internet]

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ostatus-discuss+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

--
Everyone Loves Tea
http://www.everyonelovestea.com

Jon Phillips

Mar 24, 2010, 8:45:53 PM3/24/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
That is great branding. We should use that!

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/

David Fuelling

Mar 26, 2010, 10:19:36 AM3/26/10
to ostatus
That's one way to look at it, but is only half the equation. The
[Internet] can be conceived as a single network, but it can also (at
the same) be conceived as a "network of networks" that need
coordinating.

Social Networking at the OStatus level will involve coordination
between users who are likely operating across different domains and
networks.

david

tyler gillies

Mar 26, 2010, 12:09:40 PM3/26/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
whats awesome about ostatus is that different software can talk to the statusnet. im developing a rails app right now that interops using all 4 of the ostatus suite protocols.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to ostatus-discuss+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Jon Phillips

Mar 26, 2010, 1:13:16 PM3/26/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
That's great! Who else is developing projects using OStatus. I want to
collect them together and keep blogging about them at ostatus.org and
when we have interoperability, status.net

Cool!
Jon