Understanding Nautical maps (and the lack of marks/error occured while rendering)

Joris

May 9, 2015, 11:09:42 AM5/9/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I think it's wonderful my favourite navigation app now also has a nautical plugin. However, I run into some problems. I hope you fokes can ammend my understandings of how the functionality works, and if I indeed my phone has a problem with rendering the POIs.

How to configure Nautical maps
  • Install OsmAnd 2.0 or higher
  • Install OsmAnd Nautical Charts from Play Store as a plugin. It is automatically enabled upon starting OsmAnd
  • In Manage map files, under All downloads, download "World seamarks" along with your World overview map and local map
  • In Configure map, choose Map style: "Nautical"
  • Optionally: enable developer options plugin and enable "boat" application profile to configure a view specifically for boating.

My troubles after following these staps: Seamarks are not shown. I run into rendering problems. When switching to Nautical style, or zooming in/out, I receive a quickly disappearing toast message: "Error occurred while rendering selected area". Seamarks are shown when I select them as POI, however they are all yellow circles instead of logos.

NB: I might have a bigger problem with memory on my Galaxy S3 i9300 with 1GB as sometimes even the home screen restarts. Allocated memory is 121 MB (Android limit 138MB, Dalvik 20MB). "Total native memory allocated by app 0 MB". Proportional memory 0 MB.

P Wat

May 9, 2015, 3:44:40 PM5/9/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joris
Sorry I can't comment on the cause of your problem, but the attached pic showing seamarks in Osmand on my MotoG shows you what you should expect to see.
The area shown is just south of Hamble Point. IMHO it is a pretty accurate and useful representation of the reality (albeit without the detail of a nautical chart)
I configured the same as your first 4 stages but have not tried the 5th (Developer options & boat application).
Good luck
PW
==================
NauticalHamblePoint.png

Ulrich Hatto von Hatzfeld

May 9, 2015, 4:26:38 PM5/9/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joris!

When I first tried to use the nautical map style (after having installed World Seamarks) it did not work. After a reboot the seamarks appeared. Now the boat profile (cf. step 5 in your description) is very useful, and it should be enabled and activated before step 4.

Here is an example, the harbour of Amsterdam (Netherlands):

xmd5a

May 9, 2015, 4:48:16 PM5/9/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Boat profile for now does only one thing: stores some map settings.

P Wat

May 9, 2015, 4:57:14 PM5/9/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ulrich
Thanks for that input.
Where does the "Boat" profile come from?

(FWIW - When I look at Amsterdam I see the seamarks (red/white) "T,Y,V,W,X" etc, but the harbour outlines are not visible!  Maybe because I no longer have the Netherlands map installed.  UK seamarks and harbour features are all visible to me)
PW

Joris

May 26, 2015, 5:41:12 PM5/26/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your comments. I just tried the nautical view one more time with 2.0.5, while nautical map view plugin is disabled. I do however still get a nautical map... with the buoys and other seamarks rendered properly! 8-)

On Saturday, 9 May 2015 22:57:14 UTC+2, P Wat wrote:

Where does the "Boat" profile come from?

If I understand your question correctly, that application profile, along with airplane, hiking, motorbike and truck, can be enabled in the plugin 'OsmAnd development'.

(FWIW - When I look at Amsterdam I see the seamarks (red/white) "T,Y,V,W,X" etc, but the harbour outlines are not visible!  Maybe because I no longer have the Netherlands map installed.  UK seamarks and harbour features are all visible to me)
PW

I'm assuming the world seamarks mapfile does not contain contours of harbours?

To be honest, the nautical view wasn't too practical for my last sailing trip anyway - having a keel 1.5m under water makes you really appreciate accurate depth information ;)