Release 1.5 is coming

Victor Shcherb

Apr 16, 2013, 3:26:49 PM4/16/13
to osmand
I would like to get feedback what's need to be fixed in that release.
Continous build http://download.osmand.net/latest-night-build/OsmAnd-r1.5.apk - probably not working but will get it pretty soon.

Best Regards,
Victor

Nelson A. de Oliveira

Apr 16, 2013, 3:31:24 PM4/16/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Will an ARM version be available too?

Johan Fitié

Apr 16, 2013, 4:15:23 PM4/16/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
What's new in this version?

john whelan

Apr 16, 2013, 6:00:35 PM4/16/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
What is the idiot guide to installing the new version on a Nexus 7?

Thanks John

On 16 April 2013 16:15, Johan Fitié <jfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
What's new in this version?

Victor Shcherb

Apr 16, 2013, 6:04:05 PM4/16/13
to osmand
- This is for all version
 - I don't exactly what's new this is a testing version. We will need to prepare list of changes, but not too much.
- Just download and install it :)

S.by

Apr 16, 2013, 6:42:44 PM4/16/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
OsmAns r1.5 Installed on android 4.0.4 1024X600 tablet .

Issues as described in the link below  :

1. Lat lon bubble not showing and point is placed far away from point pressed .

2. profiles icon on map is not pressable .

This is maybe only on a screen beginning with 1024X600 and up .

Areg

Apr 17, 2013, 5:57:55 AM4/17/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor

I remember that a while ago you fixed the Gadgets positioning under the main top one.
Seems in the new arm and 1.5 releases there is a couple of pixels gap between the left and right gadgets and top one.

Please see the attached snapshots.

Regards,
Areg
New UI - Gadgets Position 01.PNG
New UI - Gadgets Position 02.png

Victor Shcherb

Apr 17, 2013, 6:09:20 AM4/17/13
to osmand
Thanks ;) This is in my plan already :)

S.by

Apr 17, 2013, 7:13:26 AM4/17/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hello victor ,

In addition to what i wrote above ... the _config.p of the hebrew recorded voice is still not being copied to it's folder .

This is suppose to be the first formal release of OsmAnd since the addition of this voice .

Thanks ...

Hardy

Apr 17, 2013, 6:38:44 PM4/17/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
- Issue 1791 needs fixing.  we broke it since last release, I think on March 30
- Favorite icons (greenish blends with map) and destination icon (mostly white)  too little visible for normal driving use. (Even waypoint is more visible that destination, though less used)
- Top-right "Where am I" widget does not indicate any more (used to be blue color) when GPS fix has been found, and you are not locked to position. We should likely re-introduce a blue version to re-establish this useful feature

- Questionable: Icons in the "Define View" context menu are in some cases totally different from the features / layer icons they refer to on the map screen. We miss our chance to be more "self explanatory" here. ("Configure screen" mostly ok now.)

- I think I collected most new features already in the english strings file, we can pick which ones we want to select (now called tip_recent_changes_1_2_t)

Other than that: I like our new, more straightforward stye!! Color selection may need a bit more tuning ... ;-)

Victor Shcherb

Apr 18, 2013, 3:50:47 AM4/18/13
to osmand
- Issue 1791 -  fixed.
- Margins - fixed (but not in desirable way still)

To Do :
- "Where am I" has that functionality but doesn't have color (there is a dot in the middle)
- Sometimes on a stable map view, I see a very short progress indicator (annoying)
- Favorite/Destination icon
- Something really wrong with xhdpi/hdpi tablets. (still?)
-.. Something from our big issue list :)

Question :
_config.P should be copied only if it is installed before.

S.by

Apr 18, 2013, 4:07:32 AM4/18/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
_config.p : bottom line is that when you download the "he" recorded voice within the app , the voice does not work because the _config.p is not where it should be.  (but it's in the downloaded zip folder before it's uncompressed)

About tablet with big screen issue : i have 1.1.2 version installed on the tablet and all is o.k (maybe 1.1.3 is also o.k) , after that version something went wrong .

Areg

Apr 18, 2013, 7:02:28 AM4/18/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I also noticed that the Navigation Configuration Button on top bar is almost invisible in night mode.
Seems the other button become white but not this one - see the attached screenshot.

Regards,
Areg
Screenshot_2013-04-17-22-38-43.png

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 19, 2013, 10:14:43 AM4/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Some technical details:
phone: Alcatel One-touch 993D, standard ICS 4.0.4 factory rom but rooted, 512MB memory. Dual-core qualcom cpu.

I've noticed that the application crashes quite often. I tested it today on a business trip of 2 time approx. 130 kilometers. The application has crashed at least 6 times. The previous 1.1.3 beta crashed only occasionally.

Another side effect is that for some reason the track logs are incomplete. On the way towards my destination it stopped after 100 meters, started again after about 25 kilomers but only for 5-10 kilomers.
On the way back it stopped after about 30 kilometers. I assume that when the application crashes, it needs to restart. In some crashes the log wil be kept, in other crashes the log will be lost. Note that I didn't restart the phone after the crashes. (I need to keep my attention to the traffic :) ).

The arrows on the left side giving the first and second navigation directive are displayed on a higly transparent "greyish-white" background, and equally for the data on the right side of the screen (see http://download.osmand.net/resource/android-osmand-routing.png)
It seems that this background is sometimes not displayed, OR the transparency is so high that it is simply not visible. Actually: I'm pretty convinced that the background is simply not visible in quite some cases..
I see the "background area" only on low-contrast background like urban environments and industry areas. When the map background is either high-contrast (yellow farmer land etc) or dark green (woods, etc,), the background for the arrows and the characters is simply not visible. And more strongly: I simply think this background is not drawn/displayed. This, as an effect, makes that the arrows and displayed distances on the left, and the displayed characters on the right are hardly visible.The characters on the right side are better viswible as they use a bigger (bold) font. I would really like to have the opacitiy increased of these "backgrounds", or that this bug get fixed that they are not displayed.

Or (feature request): Make this a setting for the user to choose the opacity of the background for these left and right side "data display".

However, I really do like the new menus and icons. I think all the screens have slightly improved and the "Configure screen" screens, started on top of the map, have improved greatly. At least on my device.

best,
Harry

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 19, 2013, 11:25:25 AM4/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. One very import detail: I have been using build #3006D of 18 April.

Harry

Éric Piel

Apr 20, 2013, 4:54:58 AM4/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've just tried version 3070D (that's from the 19th of April).

Overall, I really like the new clean and refreshing style. It's much more clear, getting out of the way. I also feel it fits better with the rest of the Android interface. I also like the icons for the favourites and destination are slightly above the point, instead of staying on top of it and hiding it.

There are still a few things I'd recommend to modify, in order of importance:
 * The application icon is absolutely ugly and unexpressful. A golden O in a square?! How is it suppose to represent an open worldwide map and navigation app? I think it should at least be some kind of map.
 * On my (small screen) device, the default background of the main screen has some aliasing problem which shows a weird pattern in the grey. That should be easily fixable. The background displayed when coming from the map screen is fine.
 * The icon to go back to the main screen from the map screen is not obvious at all. It's 3 vertical lines... and it brings you to a screen with 4 squares! The previous one was fine.
 * The zoom buttons on the map (+/- at the bottom right) are out of style (3D grey buttons). I'd recommend something much more simple, like in Google map, you could have just simple + / - signs in semi transparent squares.
 * The blue and red arrows to show the current position and direction to the destination are too much detailed and don't fit so much with the rest of the interface. I'd recommend flat arrows, similar to the previous style.

That was my 2 cents on the new interface...
Good luck with the overhaul, I'm sure Osmand will look better than ever :-)

Éric

Harry van der Wolf

Apr 20, 2013, 8:00:58 AM4/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

2013/4/20 Éric Piel <eric...@gmail.com>

Hi,
I've just tried version 3070D (that's from the 19th of April).

Overall, I really like the new clean and refreshing style. It's much more clear, getting out of the way. I also feel it fits better with the rest of the Android interface. I also like the icons for the favourites and destination are slightly above the point, instead of staying on top of it and hiding it.

There are still a few things I'd recommend to modify, in order of importance:
 * The application icon is absolutely ugly and unexpressful. A golden O in a square?! How is it suppose to represent an open worldwide map and navigation app? I think it should at least be some kind of map.

In order of importance??

I think that functionality is way more important than how an app icon looks like. A nicely looking app icon would be the very last item on my list.
Next to that: I do like the simple golden O far better then the previous icon. I'm more for simple, straightforward designs, so I'm very happy with the new one. And of course: that's personal taste, just like yours.

I don't want to start a flame about an app icon (as said: A nicely looking app icon would be the very last item on my list), but I would like to start a "poll" whether users do like the new app icon or not (and the new 1.1.4 has it also by the way).
 Designing a new icon would take time: time that could be better used for bugfixing and improving functionality (my point of view). So if the majority thinks the app icon is ugly, we need something else, otherwise we don't.

Please share your opinions.

Harry

rodolfo

Apr 20, 2013, 9:59:11 AM4/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I like the new retro style and agree with Éric that the app icon is no improvement.
The letter O clearly invites to associate it with a globe or at least there could be some association with a map.

But going back to the original question: "I would like to get feedback what's need to be fixed":
I would very much appreciate it if this long standing issue was solved:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=&hl=en#!searchin/osmand/compass$20icon/osmand/qwCneTlsL1A/-ilOzJx3LtcJ

And I would like to delete multiple GPX tracks without tumbling out of the menu each time.

For more GPX track management suggestions, see also:
http://code.google.com/p/osmand/issues/detail?id=1286&can=1&q=delete%20tracks&sort=-opened&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Summary%20Opened%20Milestone

But in general, I think Osmand is getting better each week.
Great work!

Rodolfo

Éric Piel

Apr 20, 2013, 5:54:18 PM4/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
On 20-04-13 14:00, Harry van der Wolf wrote:
> Hi,

> In order of importance??
>
> I think that functionality is way more important than how an app icon
> looks like. A nicely looking app icon would be the very last item on my
> list.
> Next to that: I do like the simple golden O far better then the previous
> icon. I'm more for simple, straightforward designs, so I'm very happy
> with the new one. And of course: that's personal taste, just like yours.
>
> I don't want to start a flame about an app icon (as said: A nicely
> looking app icon would be the very last item on my list), but I would
> like to start a "poll" whether users do like the new app icon or not
> (and the new 1.1.4 has it also by the way).
> Designing a new icon would take time: time that could be better used
> for bugfixing and improving functionality (my point of view). So if the
> majority thinks the app icon is ugly, we need something else, otherwise
> we don't.

Hi Harry,
In no way I want to start a flame either :-) In the daily life I'm just
a software developer, and not especially renown among my acquaintances
for my artistic side... to say the least ;-) So all my comments are to
be taken with a grain of salt, of course. Still, I believe, as a simple
user of Osmand that the icon is useful to convey some information. The
icon is where I press on the phone when I want to check the map or get
navigation instructions. Personally, I find this new icon one of the
changes that I like the less from the new theme.

I've just checked on the play store quickly, and from my own taste, I
feel almost all map/navigation apps have an icon conveying better the
goal of the application than the new icon (Navigon being the exception,
but they probably rely on having a famous brand).

Best,
Éric

Victor Shcherb

Apr 21, 2013, 7:48:22 AM4/21/13
to osmand
Hi All,

Among latest changes taken into account before release (I just tested navigation very seriously yesterday) :
- Compass issue in navigation (screen rotation to much) and compass not working again issue in some conditions
- Icon glitches (mentioned by Hardy) Back to location - 3 states needed (not visible some ), Destination point is not recognizable.
- UI glitches margins between panels.

- About icon : it is definitely not final! But most probably it will go in release without changes, it takes some time to make it good.
There are 2 main criteria to OsmAnd icon from my side :
1) The background should be map, not very shiny but clearly distinguishable
2) The foreground should be "O", preferably orange.
--- Everything else just to make it better and it is not very important.

Best Regards,
Victor

Fernando Castrillo

Apr 21, 2013, 1:13:06 PM4/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

This application has error in the calculation of the distance on the road working with phone iNew I200   with MTK 6589 Quard-Core microprocessor
With other phones it work well.
With this phone the measured distance to the rule is correct but the route is calculated in much larger than reality.

Sorry for my bad English.

Fernando.

Hola.

Esta aplicación tiene error en el calculo de la distancia en la ruta trabajando con uni telefono eNew con microprocesador MTK 6589 QC.
Con otros telefonos lo hace bien.
Con este telefono la distancia medida con la regla es correcta pero la calculada en la ruta es mucho mayor de la real.

Perdon por mi mal ingles.

Fernando.

Sebastian Spaeth

Apr 22, 2013, 3:14:29 AM4/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
One glitch in the latest nightly (so I assume also in the 1.5beta) is that if I "deactivate" a vector map, the current section closes and the list starts again out at the top. So if I want to deactivate several maps (as I won't be needing them), I need to scroll down to the right section and reopen it for every map.

Admittedly, it is a tiny glitch, but quite annoying :-).

Otherwise, I am surprised how nice things look after the change to QT. Well done.

Sebastian

Hardy

Apr 22, 2013, 4:45:19 AM4/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Sebastion, Have you noticed that there is also a multiple-selection "Menu" action "Deactivate" maps? May be helpful?

Hardy

Apr 22, 2013, 5:08:57 AM4/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
PS: Title of this thread:
Victor, I assume we are either talking
  - v1.1.5   or
  - v1.2,
right?

rodolfo

Apr 22, 2013, 9:14:23 AM4/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
In the "configure screen" menu, I noticed that the last 3 options:
"Alpine hiking view", "Hiking symbol overlay" and "Show cycle routes" are not localised, neither can I find those texts in strings.xml.
Is this to come yet or did I overlook something?

Rodolfo

Sebastian Spaeth

Apr 24, 2013, 8:48:00 AM4/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Am Montag, 22. April 2013 10:45:19 UTC+2 schrieb Hardy:
Sebastion, Have you noticed that there is also a multiple-selection "Menu" action "Deactivate" maps? May be helpful?

Uhh, that does sound useful. No, I had not noticed :-). Still, chosing an action should not reset the currently selected section. Thanks for the hint, anyway!

Sebastian

S.by

Apr 24, 2013, 7:36:50 PM4/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi victor ,

Hebrew download works on my galaxy s 2  !

Thanks :)
Message has been deleted

S.by

Apr 25, 2013, 11:37:26 AM4/25/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi victor

I am trying to keep track on the issue i reported here :

Now this guy ( link below) says version 1.2 is o.k on his note 2 while this version is still not o.k on my  1024X600 tablet .

If you are not working on this now ... maybe i better open an issue ?

Victor Shcherb

Apr 25, 2013, 2:09:10 PM4/25/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Not really. Now it is high priority bug, I will send an email when it will be testable.

S.by

Apr 25, 2013, 2:23:35 PM4/25/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
By the way , superb route drawing calculation on my galaxy s2 i9100 ... in the sense it can start and end a route anywhere and draw a straight line to the nearest path/trail/road .