Using Openrailwaymap overlay or underlay.

Krist van Besien

Nov 22, 2015, 6:24:04 AM11/22/15
to Osmand
Hello,

I want to use openrailwaymap together with OsmAnd. This should be possible according to this:

However I'm stuck already in the first step of the instructions. The wiki article tells me that I should enable the "on line maps" plugin. I do not find this plugin in list of plugins I can install, but I have the impression that maybe for the version I am using (latest available on iOS) this is not needed?
Then I am supposed to click the "layer" icon in the top left. I do not have a layer icon, but do have a "globe" icon in the top left. When I click that I can indeed choose an overlay and underlay, but I cannot install more overlays or underlays.

So the instrucitons on the openstreetmap wiki appear outdated (even though they're only a few months old). With the current version of OmsAnd how do I get the openrailwaymap overlay?

Thanks in advance,

Krist

Max Erickson

Nov 22, 2015, 10:14:51 AM11/22/15
to Osmand
I think it's more a case of written for the Android version than outdated.

If the option to install more overlays is not present at the selection point, I would think that it is not yet supported on IOS. I guess there might be some option somewhere to add a tile provider which might result in having that tile layer available as an overlay.

Max

fredf

Nov 22, 2015, 3:05:56 PM11/22/15
to Osmand
This pertains to the Android version which I have but maybe will be useful to you:
To get to the online map plugin click on the square box with 4 dots in it in lower left corner of map page > takes you to a map page with a gear icon in upper right corner > click on gear > Plugins > activate Online Maps. Now back to map page > layers icon upper left corner Configure map > scroll down to Overlay or Underlay map and check one.> opens dialog box with your installed maps > check install more ...  >  opens list Select (tile) maps to install or update > scroll way down to OpenRailwayMap > Apply. That should result in the railroad layer displayed on your map page.

Krist van Besien

Nov 23, 2015, 1:12:59 AM11/23/15
to Osmand
This is what it looks like on iOS:

- Click on the "menu" button on the bottom left (square with three dashes). A menu slides in from the left. There I have several options.
Under the "gear" menu I have settings, with only trhee options, none of which helped me.

There is however in this menu a "maps and resources" option that I can select and from there I get to a screen with three tabs at the bottom:  maps, plugins and purchases. When I click on "plugins" I get a list of plugins I can install or buy. The "online map plugin" is not on this list. I see no option I can check to display more in this list.

However I think that I don't need an "online map plugin", and here is why:

Again under the menu I can select "Map" adn there under "Map Type" i can select both on line and off line maps. I also have the "overlay" and "underlay" options where again I can select an overlay or an underlay. However I do not have the option there to "install more".

So, this appears as if the iOS version of OsmAnd is a very different applicaitons, only sharing a name...