Osamnd usage of the maxspeed:conditional tag in OSM

Stephan Marx

Sep 15, 2014, 9:46:18 AM9/15/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Osmand Community,

I have seen previous posts with a related topic, but they were a bit old and with no final concusion.
In OSM I just tagged a road (in front of a school) with maxspeed:conditional=30 @ (07:00-17:00) AND the "normal"  maxspeed=50 tag.

My question is, if Osmand is already today able to give me a Warning, when I drive this road with 50 at 8 am, or if it is planned to support this tag-set in the future?

Best Regards
Stephan

Pee Wee

Sep 15, 2014, 1:29:30 PM9/15/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Osmand does support this in the way that if I configure Osmand to show maxspeed on the mapscreen it wil show the correct maxspeed depending on the time of day you are driving there. In NL we have these conditional speed tags on some motorways. As a law abiding citizen I never go faster then the max speed on motorways so I don't know if Osmand will warn me.   I guess it it will because it does when I pass (lower) speed limits when riding my bike ;-)

Pere Pujal i Carabantes

Sep 15, 2014, 2:14:06 PM9/15/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
El dl 15 de 09 de 2014 a les 10:29 -0700, en/na Pee Wee va escriure:
Is that configurable?, I mean in the sense that maybe somebody may
prefer to be warned at maxspeed - 5% to always be in the safe side.

Pee Wee

Sep 15, 2014, 2:41:54 PM9/15/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Is that configurable?, I mean in the sense that maybe somebody may
prefer to be warned at maxspeed - 5% to always be in the safe side.

I don't think so. I meant that you can configure the map screen to show/hide certain information. Maximum speed is one of them..

Cheers
PeeWee32

Stephan Marx

Sep 16, 2014, 3:38:54 AM9/16/14
to osm...@googlegroups.com
ok, thanks for the confirmation I had maxspeed also configured in my screen, but there are not so many conditional Speed limits around here.. esp. the part of "show the correct maxspeed depending on the time of day you are driving there" was of interest to me ...

Osmand does support this in the way that if I configure Osmand to show maxspeed on the mapscreen it wil show the correct maxspeed depending on the time of day you are driving there. In NL we have these conditional speed tags on some motorways. As a law abiding citizen I never go faster then the max speed on motorways so I don't know if Osmand will warn me.   I guess it it will because it does when I pass (lower) speed limits when riding my bike ;-)

Gazer75

Apr 15, 2015, 12:59:03 PM4/15/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Another question is how complex is the supported syntax?

I just added some speed limits with maxspeed:conditional=110 @ (easter +8 days- Oct 31)

Hope this is supported as well. It is listed in the wiki here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/specification

sympa

Apr 16, 2015, 1:31:23 AM4/16/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
That is going to be rather difficult, as Osmand is a program used worldwide (do you know the date of ramadan, holi, newroz etc correctly). And then there is orthodox easter: in some countries easter is off by a few weeks.

I see the maxspeed warning more as a comfort feature. There may always be an extra limit (road works, festivities) and you cannot fully cover that.

Op woensdag 15 april 2015 18:59:03 UTC+2 schreef Gazer75:
Message has been deleted

Gazer75

Apr 17, 2015, 4:07:52 PM4/17/15
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Well I guess the only option would be to use something like (Apr 26-Oct 31) as that would be the first Monday after latest date in Gregorian calender that Easter can be.
The date of the higher summer speed limit is not defined exactly, only the end date which match with the last day you should use summer tires.
This year this change will apply from Apr 22.

Already told them (Norwegian Public Roads Administration) it would be a stupid idea to have a fluctuating start date like this. Would be better to simply use May 1 or something to be safe.

Unless this work somehow the speed limit alert would simply be useless as it would whine about to high speed during summer.