Blockchain at FORCE11 Where is the blockchain for Open Science?

Alexander Garcia Castro

Sep 20, 2017, 8:51:42 AM9/20/17
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hi. this is for anyone who is interested in decentralised ledgers. We will have a blockchain workshop in Berlin at the FORCE11 meeting in October -see https://www.force11.org/event/force2017-berlin-oct-25-27

We will hava a hands on tutorial and a selected group of keynote speakers with experience in using this technology in business environments.

Tutorial. “Hyperledger and Fabric, building decentralized ledgers”. Our tutor, Tong Li,  is a senior software engineer at IBM, will be running this tutorial.

Keynote speaker. Oliver Ram, CEO www.chainvine.com

Keynote speaker. Lambert Heller, Head of Open Science Lab bei TIB Hannover

Keynote speaker. Julius Faber, Consensys

We will also have a challenge, to be announced later. We will accept short submissions for this challenge asking for disruptive ideas showcasing the use of this technology outside of the cryptocurrency domain -ideally focusing on scholarly communication, digital scholarship, e-science, etc.

The abstract describing the workshop:

Scientific practices in digital environments are intrinsically decentralized; researchers produce parts of the digital continuum and then assemble fragments of interest in order to build a coherent narrative in the form of a paper. The paper is, however, hardly the most viable vehicle to aggregate such continuum; most scholarly products are under represented, attribution is inaccurate, and much detail is excluded.  The digital continuum that is the experimental record, is lost for practical purposes.  Decentralised ledgers (DL), also referred to as distributed ledgers, are a set of decentralised and distributed data management technologies that are used to maintain data in the form of a growing list of interconnected records,  and to keep track of transactions between different parties in an efficient, verifiable, persistent way using Smart Contracts. Blockchain, the tamper-resistant digital ledger software underlying cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Hyperledger is one of the most prominent examples of technology in this space. This workshop will offer researchers and practitioners in data science and scholarly communication the opportunity to present their work, vision, and ideas around this set of technologies, and to explore the question How could DLs disrupt scholarly communication and open science?

This workshop will have an open call for ideas, demos, technology visions and ongoing projects. From the submissions we will have an open discussion and select the two best submissions. We will have Ton Li from IBM giving a tutorial as well as Oliver Ram, CEO www.chainvine.com and Jared Pereira, fathom.network  sharing their experiences using this technology in disruptive  start ups.