Fw: Film Screening - Paywall: The Business of Scholarship

Fiore, Steve

Feb 13, 2019, 3:34:31 PM2/13/19
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone -- I'm hosting a screening of Paywall next week and Jason Schmitt is coming down for a discussion (see below/attached).  Because many of my faculty are not aware of all that is happening in the OA movement, I'm interested in some thoughts for additional issues/arguments to bring up.  For example, I have Richard Poynder's very helpful review of Paywall and I'll bring up the points he makes.  But if anyone else has recommendations for additional comments/concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,

Steve

Feb 13, 2019, 3:53:54 PM2/13/19
to Fiore, Steve, osi20...@googlegroups.com

I do! As Jason will tell you, OSI was part of Jason’s filmmaking effort. A lot of his interviews were done on-site at George Washington University during OSI2017. Our hope, and Jason’s as well, was that he would eventually be able to arrive at a balanced piece that gave viewers a broad perspective on this issue, including publisher points of view. Through no fault of his own, his full suite of interviews didn’t materialize---maybe these will be in Paywall 2: Revenge of the Publishers.

So, while this film is a good introduction to this topic for the uninitiated, it’s also not what Jason originally set out to create or what OSI (through its support and connections) originally set out to facilitate. I think it’s critical for new audiences to understand that there is more to this issue than meets the eye---but knowing this issue exists is an important first step to getting them involved in the conversation.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

image003.jpg
image004.png

T Scott Plutchak

Feb 13, 2019, 6:07:38 PM2/13/19
to Glenn Hampson, Fiore, Steve, osi20...@googlegroups.com
I’m curious if Jason would agree that the film is not what he “originally set out to create.”  I don’t mean this as a criticism, but my impression was that he brought a particular point of view to the work and the finished film reflected that.

Scott

On Feb 13, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

[...]

<image004.png>

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/osi2016-25.

Jason Schmitt

Feb 13, 2019, 6:36:27 PM2/13/19
to T Scott Plutchak, Glenn Hampson, Fiore, Steve, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott, Glenn and all:

Yes, I am satisfied with the film I created--but, yes, I had hoped for more balance with Elsevier, specifically, but was not able to obtain that footage (for reasons I completely understand).  I've been pleased with the roll out of the film, the 140,000 views it has obtained online to date on Vimeo, YouTube, Internet Archive and Amazon Prime as well as the 340 public screenings at universities and institutions worldwide.  I'd like to think this film gets at and activates a different audience than many of our cumulative efforts have been able to capture.  From day one I've been clear in saying my goal was a film for the uninitiated on why Open Access is important in scholarly publishing and not a film for those who think about OA on a regular basis.  In the end, I hope this broader awareness makes what OSI and others do that much more wide reaching.

Thank you the support,

Jason

Jason Schmitt, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Communication, Media & Design
Clarkson University

a: Box 5760, 8 Clarkson Avenue, Potsdam, New York  13699

Bryan Alexander

Feb 13, 2019, 7:26:34 PM2/13/19
to Jason Schmitt, T Scott Plutchak, Glenn Hampson, Fiore, Steve, The Open Scholarship Initiative
If you'd like to ask Jason more questions, or hear what other people demand of him, he'll appear as a Future Trends Forum guest March 14th, 2-3 pm ET.

Abel L. Packer

Feb 13, 2019, 8:53:01 PM2/13/19
to Jason Schmitt, T Scott Plutchak, Glenn Hampson, Fiore, Steve, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Considering the earth is not flat, was there any special reason why the film ignored SciELO? Abel

Glenn Hampson

Feb 13, 2019, 9:40:20 PM2/13/19
to Abel L. Packer, Jason Schmitt, T Scott Plutchak, Fiore, Steve, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Wait what? The earth is NOT flat? I was just reading this article about why we don’t fall off the edge… https://www.livescience.com/62454-flat-earthers-explain-pac-man-effect.html

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:36 PM Jason Schmitt <jsch...@clarkson.edu> wrote:

[...]

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1MWEYwidmje-smeq-o5fuQyaCPH5M3LXJ&revid=0B9g8hNfb7PFPc0dUSlF0R2twVnRzeDJUZXQ0Z25PaEppQUxJPQ

Fiore, Steve

Feb 14, 2019, 1:30:09 AM2/14/19
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Glenn, but you never provided an answer.  You just said you do have one (or more).  I'm familiar with the history of the project.  I'm now seeking some tangible issues that I can bring up during the discussion; that is, I'd like to provide some kind of constructive criticisms rather than vague comments.

For example, Richard Poynder's review in Nature laid out a number of insights to illuminate the publisher perspective. And the article from Inside Higher Ed also provided some important points (e.g., they quote John Warren at GW who described some of what was not discussed in the film).  So if anyone has seen any other reviews or online discussions of the film, please share.

Thanks,

Steve

Feb 14, 2019, 2:02:15 AM2/14/19
to Fiore, Steve, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
image001.jpg
image002.png

Glenn Hampson

Feb 14, 2019, 5:40:03 PM2/14/19
to Fiore, Steve, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Got it. Here are some specific observations, then, for what it’s worth. I haven’t read any other reviews---my comments here aren’t meant to be hurtful, but if you’re asking for constructive criticisms about this film, which tries to deal honestly with this very complicated subject we’ve all been working on for so long, then I’m afraid I can’t be too charitable:

  1. The first 14 minutes of the film focuses on Elsevier’s profit margin. This is often rolled out to goad audiences into being appalled about publishers----profit margins equals bad, nonprofits equals good---without any critical analysis (e.g., Elsevier is a small part of RELX, so a lot of its balance sheet is covered elsewhere, are they accusing publishers of price gouging and if so let’s see the evidence, etc.). What makes this angle painful to me is that it is interspersed with scenes of school closings and dire illness---due to Elsevier’s profit margin the imagery would suggest. Okay, I get it---the audience needs to be hooked in caring about this issue. But why not mention the cost of tuition and books while you’re at it? Or underfunding by states? Or declining library funding? Or declining student aid, rising family debt or record numbers of kids trying to cram into colleges? It cost me $30,000/year to attend grad school at AU, a debt that I’m still paying on. This wasn’t because of Elsevier’s journal prices.
  2. Rick Anderson’s comment about open being a religion is totally misinterpreted---he is immediately shouted down by John Wilbanks, who says that open does have a kind of power to reveal. What Rick was trying to get at is that open can be an orthodoxy used to bludgeon heretics into silence. If you don’t agree that “no embargo CC-BY gold” is the best publishing solution in the universe, then you must be banished to the “pro-Elsevier” kingdom. And this leads to the broader point which is totally missed in this film: What on earth do people mean by open anyway? Ask your audience Steve: What do you need? To read an article for free? Okay. Would they consider that kind of access to be open? About 50% of recently published material falls into this category. Is this open enough though? For most of the people in this film, probably yes. Ask any of these people if they also need the article to be free to reuse and immediate. For most the answer would probably be no---there weren’t any medical researchers here clamoring to have access to the latest datasets. I’m not saying this isn’t important though---I’m trying to make Rick’s ignored point, which is that a lot of this argument today is about the orthodoxy----about different camps arguing over what we mean by “open.”
  3. The rest of this film treads on anecdotes and hyperbole and not enough facts. Yes Elsevier lobbies but so what? Everyone major company and interest group lobbies. Yes impact factors are misused but they’re misused throughout scholarly publishing by open journals and subscription journals alike. Yes there is an access gap, but what are the dimensions of this? And is “open” writ-large the only solution (how does this compare with the subscription subsidies approach?; how does the risk of creating APC “play-walls” figure into our thinking?; what areas need the most urgent access and what options are we exploring to provide that access today?). We need more information and more work to find real answers, not continue to point fingers at villains and simplistically suggest that there’s only one problem here---that evil, lobbying, profit-making, download-charging Elsevier, propped up by heartless defenders of the status quo (played by Rick and Kim), who are vastly outnumbered by an army of caring visionaries. It’s this kind of narrative that has turned this community against itself for so many years when in fact we’re all on the same side. So, yes, while this film helps open eyes to an important problem, it also might, unfortunately, perpetuate stereotypes that OSI is trying to break down.
  4. And finally, OSI isn’t thanked in the credits---we went out of our way to set a dozen-plus interviews (providing meeting space, coordinating interviews, recruiting interviewees, etc.). This is the real reason my review is so cranky.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

Glenn Hampson

Feb 15, 2019, 10:21:36 AM2/15/19
to David Wojick, Fiore, Steve, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Yep---good point David

image001.jpg

Anthony Watkinson

Feb 15, 2019, 10:34:36 AM2/15/19
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, Fiore, Steve, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Om 2018 I and two other members of this list have spent a lot of our time doing a new edition of the STM Report which is widely used by librarians as a reference. We tried very hard to stick to facts. Obviously what we included was selected on the basis of publisher preoccupations. – to  large extent. I put in a few sentences on OSI because I think the Open Science movement is important for example. Only two of us have ever been publishers and none of us are currently publishers.

So far to my knowledge only one person has written in to complain about a factual error. This has been corrected. Is it not about time for Open Access to be presented carefully as generally accepted as to be strived for but with the problems of implementation carefully explained?  It does not have to be boring. I was bowled over by ROMA – the film. The director had an agenda that he has talked about he worked hard to recreate his childhood experiences without distortion. He managed to produce a superb film

Anthony

image001.jpg

David Wojick

Feb 15, 2019, 11:24:42 AM2/15/19
to Anthony Watkinson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Reading the plot of ROMA at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_(2018_film) it seems more biographical than expository. The issues with OA are complex and technical, so while a relatively balanced presentation is certainly possible, it will also be technical. (Nor does everyone agree that OA is to be strived for.)

Also, given the tree structure of these issues, there is in an important sense no such thing as a complete and balanced presentation. Each line of argument has to stop somewhere and this means the next rejoinders are not included. Defining balance on an issue tree is an interesting challenge in its own right.

David

At 10:34 AM 2/15/2019, Anthony Watkinson wrote:
[...]

Rick Anderson’s comment about open being a religion is totally misinterpreted---he is immediately shouted down by John Wilbanks, who says that open does have a kind of power to reveal. What Rick was trying to get at is that open can be an orthodoxy used to bludgeon heretics into silence. If you don’t agree that “no embargo CC-BY gold†is the best publishing solution in the universe, then you must be banished to the “pro-Elsevier†kingdom. And this leads to the broader point which is totally missed in this film: What on earth do people mean by open anyway? Ask your audience Steve: What do you need? To read an article for free? Okay. Would they consider that kind of access to be open? About 50% of recently published material falls into this category. Is this open enough though? For most of the people in this film, probably yes. Ask any of these people if they also need the article to be free to reuse and immediate. For most the answer would probably be no---there weren’t any medical researchers here clamoring to have access to the latest datasets. I’m not saying this isn’t important though---I’m trying to make Rick’s ignored point, which is that a lot of this argument today is about the orthodoxy----about different camps arguing over what we mean by “open.â€
[...]

<image006.jpg>

Hi Everyone -- I'm hosting a screening of Paywall next week and Jason Schmitt is coming down for a discussion (see below/attached).  Because many of my faculty are not aware of all that is happening in the OA movement, I'm interested in some thoughts for additional issues/arguments to bring up.  For example, I have Richard Poynder's very helpful review of Paywall and I'll bring up the points he makes.  But if anyone else has recommendations for additional comments/concerns, please let me know.

Thank you,

Steve

Anthony Watkinson

Feb 15, 2019, 6:32:10 PM2/15/19
to David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
The message behind ROMA according to the director is exploitation BUT it was not a good comparison. Please ignore. I do not agree that OA issues are technical. My view is that we have moved beyond advocacy is that the problem now is implementation in such a way that good bits of the current scholarly communication ecosystem are not destroyed. I think this is what researchers want though I cannot say that our research looked at it in exactly that way.

Anthony

David Wojick

Feb 16, 2019, 6:24:22 AM2/16/19
to Anthony Watkinson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
I suspect that what you call implementation is what I call technical. By technical I mean that the issues involve many specialized concepts that the general public does not have. Thus any balanced exposition will have to present them.

For example, one of the most fundamental unresolved issues is how OA will be paid for? In fact this issue may explain why pure OA (immediate, unrestricted, etc.) is not feasible. (The broad spectrum of degrees of OA is another fundamental issue.) Thus we have the manifold technical distinctions between the forms of gold, green, bronze, platinum, diamond, etc., OA. (I personally do not yet completely understand all of these variations, which makes them very technical indeed.)

A good issue tree of OA will find the "how funded?" Issue close to the top, meaning that a great deal of the discussion falls under it. Put another way, a movie purporting to explain OA should present this issue very early on.

I do not think OA has moved beyond advocacy, given that the pure goal is still very far off and may well be unreachable. The fact that most people will agree that the abstract and vague concept of OA is desirable is not the end of advocacy; it is the beginning.

David

Anthony Watkinson

Feb 16, 2019, 7:00:26 AM2/16/19
to David Wojick, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

I do not think I agree with you David BUT the way you have set this out is very helpful.