FW: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued

Glenn Hampson

Feb 9, 2018, 5:41:15 PM2/9/18
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Of interest

From: HLIB-NW [mailto:hlib-nw...@mailman13.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Patricia J. Devine
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 1:31 PM
To: hli...@uw.edu
Subject: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued

FYI,

After a trial period of 4 years, NLM has decided to discontinue PubMed Commons, which was a project  allowing comments on articles indexed in PubMed. Commenters had to be authors themselves of an article in PubMed. Although the comments added value, more participation was hoped for. Since only 6,000 of the 28 million article indexed in PubMed had comments, the decision has been made to discontinue the project. Read more about it in the NCBI Insights blog.

Pat

Patricia J. Devine, MLS

Outreach & Communications Coordinator

National Network of Libraries of Medicine/Pacific Northwest Region

Health Sciences Library, Box 357155

University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195

Phone: (206)543-8275dev...@uw.edu | http://nnlm.gov/pnr

Bryan Alexander

Feb 12, 2018, 12:38:56 PM2/12/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Interesting.  I wonder why so many articles failed to elicit comments.
Did potential commentators just not know this was available?
Did the site make commenting difficult?

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Alexander Garcia Castro

Feb 12, 2018, 12:41:17 PM2/12/18
to Bryan Alexander, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Maryann Martone

Feb 12, 2018, 12:45:01 PM2/12/18
to Alexander Garcia Castro, Bryan Alexander, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hi Alex:

They’ve all been ported into Hypothesis:  https://web.hypothes.is/blog/archiving-pmc-comments/

Pub Med Commons covered them all under a CC-BY license, allowing for reuse.  Go FAIR!

Maryann

Fiore, Steve

Feb 12, 2018, 12:46:47 PM2/12/18
to Maryann Martone, Alexander Garcia Castro, Bryan Alexander, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative

To respond to Bryan's question, I suspect people did not participate for a number of reasons - from a lack of awareness to a lack of incentives to even concern about backlash.  They need to do an assessment of why it did not work as expected.  Even just a survey to all those who were "members" would be helpful.  This could help us understand who did and did not choose to comment and why they chose to comment or not.

Best,

Steve

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy (philosophy.cah.ucf.edu/staff.php?id=134)

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

Feb 12, 2018, 12:48:46 PM2/12/18
to Fiore, Steve, Maryann Martone, Alexander Garcia Castro, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Steve, could you say more about that anticipated backlash?

Fiore, Steve

to Fiore, Steve, Maryann Martone, Alexander Garcia Castro, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Ah, that's fascinating.
Thank you, Steve.  Much appreciated.