FW: Today on The Scholarly Kitchen

Schultz, Jack C.

Aug 16, 2017, 9:41:34 AM8/16/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
want to weigh in?

  JACK

From: The Scholarly Kitchen <in...@sspnet.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 7:50 AM
To: Me <schu...@missouri.edu>
Subject: Today on The Scholarly Kitchen

The Scholarly Kitchen
OFFICIAL BLOG OF:

New content is now available at
The Scholarly Kitchen

Revisiting: Is Access to the Research Paper the Same Thing as Access to the
 Research “Results”?
Aug 16, 2017  by  David Crotty

Revisiting: Is Access to the Research Paper the Same Thing as Access to the Research “Results”?

Is access to the research paper really the same thing as access to the research results themselves? What about patents on publicly funded research? Revisiting a 2013 post to re-examine these questions.

READ MORE

If you would prefer not to receive daily alerts from The Scholarly Kitchen, go here.

Informz

Dr D.A. Kingsley

Aug 17, 2017, 9:19:39 AM8/17/17
to Schultz, Jack C., osi20...@googlegroups.com
Alright Jack, I’ll bite.

Hmmm. From where I am standing this is another shadow box. Open access relates to the financial barrier to material that is already in the public domain (as long as you have enough money). It is not about preventing the ability for institutions or individuals to patent and profit from findings – the research outputs in that situation are not published until after the patent has been granted … But how convenient to raise that red flag and make institutions and individuals frightened by the OA bogeyman.

I do however agree with the philosophy expressed in the article: "A world where everyone must follow the rules tailored to one group of researchers is an imbalanced world.” With that in mind let’s turn our thoughts to 2013. When the RCUK announced that its OA policy would allow for green OA with a 6 month embargo for STEM and 12 month for HASS, guess what happened?

As predicted (1), and then pointed out by me (2), Springer (3) and Emerald (4) both lengthened their embargo periods. Worldwide. The UK produces 6% of the world’s research and RCUK funded research is a fraction of that.

Let’s reconsider that statement: “ A world where everyone must follow the rules tailored to one group of researchers is an imbalanced world.

Enough said.

Danny

(1) Kingsley, “Open Access Globally” 1 April 2013  https://aoasg.org.au/statements-on-oa-in-australia-the-world/
“ EXCERPT: In addition, if the journal has an embargo on making deposited publications available that is longer than the periods specified then the researcher is expected to pay article processing charges for gold open access (if funds are available). Clearly it is advantageous for journals to offer a hybrid option and to extend their embargo periods in response to this policy."

(2) Kingsley, "Walking in quicksand – keeping up with copyright agreements May 23, 2013 https://aoasg.org.au/2013/05/23/walking-in-quicksand-keeping-up-with-copyright-agreements/

(3) Poynder, “Open Access: Springer tightens rules on self archiving" 25 June 2013 http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/open-access-springer-tightens-rules-on.html

(4) Poynder, “Open Access: Emerald’s Green starts to fade” 17 June 2013 http://poynder.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/open-access-emeralds-green-starts-to.html

Dr Danny Kingsley

Head, Office of Scholarly Communication

Cambridge University

e: da...@cam.ac.uk

p: 01223 747 437

m: 07711 500 564

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Joyce Ogburn

Aug 17, 2017, 6:25:39 PM8/17/17
to Dr D.A. Kingsley, Schultz, Jack C., osi20...@googlegroups.com
The OSI group on Open IP dealt with patents (in fact patents were part of the original charge and title for our group).

Glenn, how soon are the reports going to be ready? Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/osi2016-25.

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

Glenn Hampson

Aug 18, 2017, 12:04:57 AM8/18/17
to Joyce Ogburn, Dr D.A. Kingsley, Schultz, Jack C., osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi Joyce,

The OSI2017 reports will be published soon on a rolling basis between around next week and mid-September. I’ll send everyone more details next week. In the meantime, I’ve been enjoying the conversation from afar---I’m on vacation at the moment.

Best,

Glenn