BLOG: Book Review: Scholarly Communication – what everyone needs to know®

Danny Kingsley

Dec 18, 2018, 4:21:07 AM12/18/18
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

<Apologies for cross posting>

Dear all,

As we wind down towards the last days of 2018, thoughts go to gifts for family and friends. As my last minute gift idea to you, is a book that should be under the tree of every scholarly communication aficionado.

My book review of Scholarly Communication – what everyone needs to know®, by Rick Anderson has been published on the Unlocking Research blog. https://unlockingresearch-blog.lib.cam.ac.uk/?p=2317

Happy reading and compliments of the season to you all.

Danny

Dr Danny Kingsley

Deputy Director - Scholarly Communication & Research Services

Head, Office of Scholarly Communication

Cambridge University Library

West Road, CB3 9DR

e: da...@cam.ac.uk

p: 01223 747 437

m: 07711 500 564

t: @dannykay68

w: www.osc.cam.ac.uk

b: https://unlockingresearch.blog.lib.cam.ac.uk

o: orcid.org/0000-0002-3636-5939

IMG_BannerNorthernLightsREFlogo_V10_20180417

Glenn Hampson

Dec 18, 2018, 10:00:36 PM12/18/18
to Danny Kingsley, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Danny! I just ordered my copy! Here’s the link: https://amzn.to/2PNOTZ1. Congrats Rick!

This is at least the third book OSIers have published in the last few years, right? Caroline’s book (“The Collaborative Era in Science”-- https://amzn.to/2R6u7s9 ) came out two months ago, and Bryan’s (“The New Digital Storytelling”--- https://amzn.to/2S6zipe ) was published last year. Sorry if I’m overlooking someone’s (please chime in with a link).

While you’re collecting books, Jean-Claude also recommended “The Scientific Journal” by Alex Csiszar (Harvard historian) describing the history of journals--- https://amzn.to/2SWqD8V .

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit
http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.

image001.png
image003.jpg

Lenny Teytelman

Dec 18, 2018, 10:58:42 PM12/18/18
to Glenn Hampson, Danny Kingsley, The Open Scholarship Initiative
"SUPPORTING RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS: A GUIDE" https://www.supporters.guide

This recommendation is not exactly a gift idea as this book is free (download the PDF from the website above). But, this book is a gift to us all in scholarly communications.

This book is for funders, institutions, publishers, community infrastructure providers, commercial infrastructure providers, institutional libraries, and researchers. It is by John Chodacki, Patricia Cruse, Jennifer Lin, Cameron Neylon, Damian Pattinson, and Carly Strasser. It is brilliant.

Best,

Lenny

--
Lenny Teytelman, Ph.D.