when scholarship's supply chains snap

Bryan Alexander

Mar 30, 2020, 4:00:04 PM3/30/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

JJE Esposito

Mar 30, 2020, 5:41:51 PM3/30/20
to Bryan Alexander, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Not quite accurate to say "paused production." My understanding of the Cambridge announcement is that it applies only to print editions of journals, which are largely consumed digitally. Perhaps you have seen something I did not. We arranged for a client to work with CUP recently, and that collaboration is going swimmingly (fingers crossed). In our world, conferences excepted, people are hard at work. Yes, it's a privileged world (highly educated information workers with remote connections in place). The biggest problem people are having is wrestling with the kids when on a Zoom call. This won't last without problems, perhaps huge ones, but this tiny corner of the world still works (for now).

Joe Esposito

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

--
Joseph J. Esposito
espo...@gmail.com

Bryan Alexander

Mar 30, 2020, 5:48:59 PM3/30/20
to JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I was referring solely to print production, as per the announcement.

Some of the presses I've asked about this said they're ok for now, but are gearing up for slowdowns down the road.

Glenn Hampson

Mar 30, 2020, 5:53:28 PM3/30/20
to JJE Esposito, Bryan Alexander, The Open Scholarship Initiative

I wonder, though, if the pipeline of publishable lab-based research is going to start thinning out soon (hopefully just a temporary dip)? Some parts of the research world are still hard at work, with plenty of numbers to crunch from completed studies, but in other parts, lab work has stopped or slowed down (closed campuses are one reason, of course, but even in critical ongoing research, research facilities are cutting back on the number of personnel allowed inside at any one time).

Bryan Alexander

Mar 30, 2020, 5:54:55 PM3/30/20
to Glenn Hampson, JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I think that's likely.  Saw some studies showing campus computer usage dropping to weekend levels - including off-site usage.

Glenn Hampson

Mar 30, 2020, 6:06:50 PM3/30/20
to Bryan Alexander, JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hmm. So trick question then: Given that the top journals have standards to uphold but also bills to pay, do you think we’re going to see the same number of articles published during this coming slowdown, but of lesser quality (or at least of a different sort that might otherwise make the cut), or just thinner journals?

JJE Esposito

Mar 30, 2020, 6:44:52 PM3/30/20
to Glenn Hampson, Bryan Alexander, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Anecdotal evidence that people who can't get into the lab are staying home and working on papers. I don't think we know enough to speculate how this will play out. It goes without saying that the submission rate is among the most closely watched metrics among publishers.

Joe

David Wojick

Mar 30, 2020, 6:59:53 PM3/30/20
to JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Indeed, we may see more papers, with deeper thinking, as people actually have time to think and write (for a change).

David

Lisa Hinchliffe

Mar 30, 2020, 7:17:02 PM3/30/20
to David Wojick, JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Here's a piece talking about what some journal editors/publishers are thinking about -  https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/journals-prepare-for-changes-as-coronavirus-interrupts-research/

LIsa

___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

Bryan Alexander

Mar 30, 2020, 7:22:23 PM3/30/20
to Lisa Hinchliffe, David Wojick, JJE Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Good catch, Lisa.  It includes notes on both of your comments, Joe and David:
"Some editors expect an initial ‘boom’ in papers as scientists newly blocked from entering their labs find themselves with more time to write, edit and respond to reviews — followed by a longer-term slowdown in work.

At the same time, many scientists who serve as editors and reviewers are managing their own affected labs while tackling changing demands at home, including childcare and remote working."

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

Joe Esposito

Mar 30, 2020, 8:09:01 PM3/30/20
to Bryan Alexander, Lisa Hinchliffe, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
This was what I had read. I had forgotten where I had seen it.

Sent from my iPhone

David Wojick

Mar 30, 2020, 8:22:56 PM3/30/20
to Joe Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
The real slowdown is likely to be big cuts in research funding in a long term depressed economy. But then a lot of journals may go under as well, so it might balance out. Less of everything. Very sad.

David

Lisa Hinchliffe

Mar 30, 2020, 8:40:42 PM3/30/20
to David Wojick, Joe Esposito, The Open Scholarship Initiative
"Less of everything" is probably both true in so many ways and, sadly, an understatement of the impact as well.