summary paper

Glenn Hampson

Mar 30, 2020, 5:36:46 PM3/30/20
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi Folks,

I appreciate that your lives have been utterly reprioritized over these past few weeks. “Work” seems oddly irrelevant for now. Please ignore this email if your priorities are already filled for the week (and beyond).

If, however, you’re looking for something to do (?), I’m attaching a “finished” short version of the Common Ground paper (the long version will come later this week if you’re REALLY looking for something to do; a final version of the Plan A website will also be available for review/comment). My intent here is to publish both versions---the longer one will provide more of the philosophical foundation for this approach (which is largely missing from the short version). OSIers attending the last summit meeting recommended that we try to get this short version published in a journal or some other venue where it will be more widely read.

Your feedback is still welcome, on or off-list, via email or pdf markup. If you’re a publisher, offers to publish this paper (gratis) are also welcome 😊

Thank you and best regards,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

image002.jpg
OSI-policy-perspective-2-short.pdf

Rick Anderson

Mar 30, 2020, 6:09:58 PM3/30/20
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Glenn, I think for a great many of us “work” continues apace and is at least as relevant as it’s ever been. At least that’s true for pretty much everyone I know in the librarian world right now. All of the worries and disruptions and readjustments forced on us by the COVID-19 situation have been overlaid on top of, not displaced, our full-time jobs, and we’re now struggling mightily to continue to meet faculty and student needs while we (and they) are working remotely.

(And I fully recognize, of course, that we’re the fortunate ones. Struggling to accomplish one’s job in a suddenly and radically new environment is nowhere near as bad as suddenly not having a job.)

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

rick.a...@utah.edu

cid:image002.jpg@01D606A0.9F908170

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Glenn Hampson

Mar 30, 2020, 8:29:48 PM3/30/20
to Rick Anderson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

That’s good to hear Rick. Are libraries at/near the epicenter of the faculty and student information access challenge? (And are your challenges shedding any new light on the value of libraries to institutions and/or capacities that libraries need to develop for a more effective remote access future?) No rush/requirement to reply---just curious.

Best,

Glenn

image001.jpg

Lisa Hinchliffe

Mar 30, 2020, 8:54:55 PM3/30/20
to Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
FWIW, if anyone is interested in what academic libraries look like these days, I'll offer up that Christine Wolff-Eisenberg and I have gathered a pretty robust dataset (800+ of the 3000+ institutions of higher ed in the USA) with live dashboards and reports. We've also published 3 analyses of our data (24 hours, 48 hours, and 10-day change) plus a backstory piece on the project. And, had some nice media coverage as well. All linked from:

US Academic Library Response to COVID19 Survey
Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe and Christine Wolff-Eisenberg

Still collecting data should you be at an academic library that hasn't yet reported. Survey at same URL.

Lisa
___

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
lisali...@gmail.com

Rick Anderson

Mar 30, 2020, 8:54:57 PM3/30/20
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

> Are libraries at/near the epicenter of the faculty and student

> information access challenge?

Well.... yes. Always have been. One of the fundamental reasons that academic institutions set up libraries in the first place was to pool institutional funds and space in order to provide students and faculty access to content that they can’t afford to buy for themselves (and don’t have room to house even if they could afford it). That has never changed, and it won’t until all scholarly information becomes freely available and reliably hosted at no charge to end users.

> And are your challenges shedding any new light on the value of

>libraries to institutions and/or capacities that libraries need to

> develop for a more effective remote access future?

The current situation is shedding a more intense light on the issue of remote access, but I don’t know if it’s shedding _new_ light on it. The vast majority of access to library resources has been either remote (i.e. from outside the library) or “remote” (i.e. from inside the library, but online) for a good couple of decades now.

I think the current situation is shedding new light on remote access to other kinds of services, though, notably research consultation and bibliographic instruction. These have long been available remotely to some degree, but now they’re suddenly having to be provided entirely remotely, and that’s creating some new stresses and increasing some longstanding ones.

Jo De

Mar 31, 2020, 7:44:43 AM3/31/20
to Rick Anderson, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com
A new best example of multinational, interdisciplinary, open access research (and author commentary) riding on the support of the publishing industry. Joann

Experimental AI tool predicts which COVID-19 patients develop respiratory disease

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200330152135.htm

An artificial intelligence tool accurately predicted which patients newly infected with the COVID-19 virus would go on to develop severe respiratory disease, a new study found.