Specifications about OAI-12 recordings

Danny Kingsley

Jun 8, 2021, 9:03:35 PM6/8/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative, go...@scientificknowledgeservices.com
Hello,

I have some further questions about the recordings that have not been addressed by the specifications (I guess this is a learning process for all of us). Generally, resolving this question has taken up quite lot of our speakers’ valuable time, so can we note for next time that we need to make our instructions very clear about what we are asking them for?

For information, I have copied below some of the correspondence between our speakers, which indicates the level of confusion. I have advised them to record with Zoom, showing slides and themselves.

************************************
[The specification sheet] still doesn’t seem to give specification for presenting with slides. The normal way to record is to create a zoom session, and record it whilst doing one’s presentation. But the fact that they suggest 4:3 ratio and suggest recording with a phone camera makes me think that they might be consider a picture-in-picture set-up where they want the slides and the presenter as separate videos… (but it may also be that they haven’t expected us to present with slides).

Sorry to create more hassle - I just want to make sure I don’t have to do everything twice! (Everyone else is expecting to present with slides aren’t they?)
*************************************

Thanks so much for the email; would something like this be OK? (where I have both me and my slides in the shot)

************************************
I also plan to use Zoom as I do not have a professional setup. In the recording settings (https://zoom.us/profile/setting?tab=recording) there is an option to tick "Record active speaker, gallery view and shared screen separately" which should provide separate files. I would tick that along with:
  • Record active speaker with shared screen
  • Optimize the recording for 3rd party video editor (need to record to the cloud to enable this)
I highly recommend doing a short test to make sure everything comes out how you want before recording your full talk!
***********************************

Timings for Session 3 recordings

NOTE: Rachael Ainsworth is on annual leave until 9 July, so will be working on the recording on her return, and will submit her "materials by the end of July. Apologies for any inconvenience".

Danny

Dr Danny Kingsley
Scholarly Communication Consultant
Visiting Fellow, Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science, ANU
Member, Board of Directors, FORCE11
e: da...@dannykingsley.com
m: +61 (0)480 115 937
t:@dannykay68
o: 0000-0002-3636-5939

Danny Kingsley

Jun 9, 2021, 1:26:35 AM6/9/21
to The Open Scholarship Initiative, go...@scientificknowledgeservices.com
Hello all,

I apologise I sent an email about technical specifications to the wrong group email. A stupid mistake, and I’m sorry for clogging your inboxes!