attention soda drinkers

Glenn Hampson

Apr 27, 2017, 4:41:04 PM4/27/17
to osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Sorry---maybe it’s just me but I needed to share this funny image with you (see attached and below)---a screenshot from the side panel of the NYT. Article 3 says “Diet Sodas Tied to Dementia and Stroke.” Article 4 says “Sugary Drinks Tied to Accelerated Brain Aging.” Article 6 says “Beer Drinkers May Develop Irregular Heart Rhythms.” Nothing on water or milk---maybe in the next issue. For people who are concerned about the state of science communication, I’ve long complained that nutrition “science” reporting is a problem----that people are more inclined to think solid science is incompetent when nutritionists say it’s okay to eggs one week but not okay the next, or now, apparently, that both Coke and Diet Coke are bad (or that if you’re a soda drinker, you’ll need to choose whether you prefer dementia or accelerated again). Anyway---just thought the image was funny.

image001.png
NYT-panel.JPG

Rick Anderson

Apr 27, 2017, 4:46:37 PM4/27/17
to Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Without disagreeing with anything you just said, Glenn, in fairness to science, I feel the need to point out that people also come to think it’s incompetent when it’s misreported or oversimplified by journalists. The diet-soda-link-to-dementia-and-stroke study is a case in point. What I have yet to see included in the popular-press reporting on that study is this very important line from the Discussion section: “the observational nature of our study precludes us from inferring causal links between artificially sweetened beverage consumption and the risks of stroke and dementia.”

(Maybe it has been included in reports I haven’t yet seen.)

Rick “Diet Coke Forever” Anderson

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

rick.a...@utah.edu

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Angela Cochran

John W Warren

Jo De

Apr 27, 2017, 5:35:52 PM4/27/17
to Angela Cochran, Glenn Hampson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Indeed, and I'd rather die as a scientist who did what they could to clean up misrepresentations and worse for the benefit of my fellow citizens who don't know what to think! Joann

Hillary Corbett

Apr 27, 2017, 5:48:38 PM4/27/17
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
And this is why the work we're doing in OSI and elsewhere is essential - being able to click through to the original scholarly article in cases like this gives newspaper readers the opportunity to see what was missed or misrepresented by someone on deadline, who perhaps doesn't have a science background or just skimmed the original. For most of those readers, this isn't often possible, as the original research is behind a paywall. In the case of this particular article it seems that Stroke is making it available OA, as far as I can tell - there is no indication of such, but I was able to access the full text on my phone with the wifi turned off, which is my usual method of making sure I'm not benefiting from institutional access. But as you might expect, the article is also available in Sci-Hub, and for the majority of articles that aren't available as green or gold OA, that can't be the method that Diet Coke drinkers (or beer drinkers, or sugary drink drinkers) around the world turn to to figure out if they're actually at risk.

Hillary

PS - at least the cacti seem to be thriving?

-------

Hillary Corbett

Director, Scholarly Communication and Digital Publishing

University Copyright Officer

Northeastern University Libraries

360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115

617.373.2352h.co...@northeastern.edu

Glenn Hampson

Apr 27, 2017, 5:57:51 PM4/27/17
to John W Warren, Angela Cochran, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

Aw…party pooper. All right---I’ll stick with Gatorade then.

Joyce Ogburn

Apr 27, 2017, 6:03:26 PM4/27/17
to Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, Angela Cochran, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
I'll stick tea, water and wine. 🍷joyce

Sent from my iPad

Barrett, Kim

Apr 27, 2017, 9:10:14 PM4/27/17
to Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, Angela Cochran, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com
Gatorade is full of sugar, unfortunately.  Water is your best bet.

Kim E. Barrett, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor of Medicine
UC San Diego
Editor-in-Chief, The Journal of Physiology

Sent from my iPad

Laurie Goodman

Bryan Alexander

Apr 28, 2017, 7:20:18 AM4/28/17
to Laurie Goodman, Barrett, Kim, Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com, Angela Cochran
I'm with Hillary.  Cacti offer the only promise in that dire headline panorama.
http://twitter.com/BryanAlexander
Future Trends in Technology and Education, http://ftte.us/

Rita Scheman

Apr 28, 2017, 9:28:40 AM4/28/17
to Laurie Goodman, Kim Barrett, Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com, Angela Cochran

Yes, same here; thank you

Rita Scheman

Director of Publications and Executive Editor

The American Physiological Society

9650 Rockville Pike

Bethesda, MD 20814

T: 301 634-7071

www.the-aps.org

www.physiology.org

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, copy, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Angela Cochran

[...]

Joyce Ogburn

Apr 28, 2017, 9:34:59 AM4/28/17
to Rita Scheman, Laurie Goodman, Kim Barrett, Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com, Angela Cochran
Now if we could all agree on how the toilet paper roll should be facing - rolling inward or outward. Now that would be real progress toward world peace!

Happy Friday. Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

Angela Cochran

[...]

Siegel, Vivian

Apr 28, 2017, 9:53:41 AM4/28/17
to Joyce Ogburn, Rita Scheman, Laurie Goodman, Kim Barrett, Glenn Hampson, John W Warren, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com, Angela Cochran
I used to blame the journalists for this kind of thing - but then I prepared a lecture called "health, hype, and hysteria" for an undergrad course, and we looked at original research articles, press releases from the researcher's institution, and the news article. And quite often the hype originated at the institution - sometimes with the support of the researcher.

Vivian

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to osi2016-25+...@googlegroups.com.

David Wojick

Apr 28, 2017, 10:07:32 AM4/28/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is the cascade of hype that I describe in my F1000 essay. There is a fair amount of research into various forms of it, which I reference via Google Scholar searches.

David