Journal Metrics

Fiore, Steve

Jun 8, 2018, 5:55:14 PM6/8/18
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone - A colleague in administration sent me this ad for Scopus' "CiteScore", noting that journals like Nature and Science are not doing well according to this journal metric calculator.  Has anyone seen much discussion/analysis of this?  I found a few, but I'd be curious to see what else has been written.  As an example, Phil Davis, writing for Scholarly Kitchen, wrote about it in late 2016.  He noted that "getting into the metrics business put Elsevier into a conflict of interest. Departing from idle speculation, Carl Bergstrom and Jevin West demonstrated in a series of scatterplots how Elsevier journals benefited generally from CiteScore over competitors’ journals."  Davis also pointed out:  "that many high Impact Factor journals performed very poorly in CiteScore, the result of including non-research material (news, editorials, letters, etc.) in its denominator. Based on their CiteScore rank, top medical journals, like The New England Journal of Medicine and The Lancet, and general multidisciplinary science journals, like Nature and Science, rank well below mid-tier competitors. This kind of head-scratching ranking creates bad optics for the validity of the CiteScore metric."  Links are below, but if anyone has seen any others, let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

CiteScore–Flawed But Still A Game Changer

https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2016/12/12/citescore-flawed-but-still-a-game-changer/

Comparing Impact Factor and Scopus CiteScore

Controversial impact factor gets a heavyweight rival
Elsevier’s CiteScore uses a larger database — and provides different results for the quality of journals.

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

David Wojick

Jun 8, 2018, 6:15:16 PM6/8/18
to Fiore, Steve, osi20...@googlegroups.com
IF and CiteScore are measuring different things so they get different results. For example, Science is more of a magazine than a journal, with hundreds of items (especially want ads) and just a few peer reviewed articles. The CiteScore reflects this dilution while the IF does not. Neither is wrong and both are useful.

David

David Wojick, Ph.D.

On Jun 8, 2018, at 5:55 PM, "Fiore, Steve" <sfi...@ist.ucf.edu> wrote:

[...]

<pastedImage.png>

--------

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Anthony Watkinson

Jun 9, 2018, 3:44:10 AM6/9/18
to Fiore, Steve, osi20...@googlegroups.com

I wonder how many researchers actually use or even look at CiteScore.  In the work I am doing on early career researchers a few mention SOPUS but none mention CiteScore though Impact Factors are always known and regarded though their defects for individual papers are known

Anthony

--

image001.png

David Wojick

Jun 9, 2018, 8:42:23 AM6/9/18
to Anthony Watkinson, Fiore, Steve, <osi2016-25@googlegroups.com>
They may have good reason, Anthony, as CiteScore may be little used. Simple Google Scholar searches from 2014 on give roughly the following hit counts:
IF 1,800,000
Impact Factor 180,000
CiteScore 18,000 or two orders of magnitude less than IF.

Just one journal accounts for a lot of the CiteScore hits -- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics -- which is big and lists a CiteScore for each article.

At this point CiteScore does not count (pun intended).

David

On Jun 9, 2018, at 3:44 AM, "'Anthony Watkinson' via The Open Scholarship Initiative" <osi20...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

<image001.png>

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/osi2016-25.

Anthony Watkinson

Jun 9, 2018, 8:51:03 AM6/9/18
to David Wojick, Fiore, Steve, <osi2016-25@googlegroups.com>
Sounds plausible

David Wojick

Jun 9, 2018, 8:58:20 AM6/9/18
to Anthony Watkinson, Fiore, Steve, <osi2016-25@googlegroups.com>
Except I should have said with every article, not for every article. CiteScore, like IF, is a journal metric.

David