Organization to possibly help increase OSI's Global South representation

9 zobrazení
Preskočiť na prvú neprečítanú správu

margaretwinker

neprečítané,
21. 5. 2018, 15:59:5121. 5. 2018
komu: The Open Scholarship Initiative

We've discussed how to increase representation in the Global South, including the diversity of countries and voices that represents. The organization Open and Collaborative Science in Development Network appears to be an organization that could increase that voice within OSI, if they're willing. (I learned of it through the Healthcare Information for All (HIFA) listserve.)

From the website http://ocsdnet.org :

" OSCDNet Goal: Nurture an interactive community of Open Science practitioners and leaders in the Global South to learn together and contribute towards a pool of open knowledge on how networked collaboration could address local and global development challenges. We take a critical approach to examining the embedded assumptions behind various models of open collaboration and theories of change.​"

Does anyone know this organization and/or team members (https://ocsdnet.org/about-ocsdnet/the-team/ )? Cameron Neylon is part of the team; we were both at PLOS at the same time so I know him and I'm sure many others in OSI do as well. The talk given by Leslie Chan, one of the team members, "Open access in the Global South: Perspectives from the Open and Collaborative Science in Development Network" ( https://www.coar-repositories.org/news-media/webinar-with-prof-leslie-chan-open-access-in-the-global-south-perspectives-from-the-open-and-collaborative-science-in-development-network/ ; slides here https://zenodo.org/record/1240505#.WvRPsa3Mw_U ) includes the following, which complements our discussions on several topics:

"As with science in general, the discussion around open access has generally been driven by the institutions and perspectives of western or global North countries. However, approaches to open access are far more diverse and there are alternative approaches that have not gained visibility, especially in historically marginalized communities. This presentation will present some key lessons of the OCSDNet http://ocsdnet.org. The OCSDNet is a research network that engaged in participatory research and consultation with scientists, development practitioners, community members and activists from 26 countries in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia to understand the values at the core of open science in development. What we learned is that there is not one right way to do open science, and “openness” requires constant negotiation and reflection, and the process will always differ by context due to historical and socio-political factors. The set of seven values and principles at the core of the OCSDNet manifesto will be discussed for a more inclusive open science in development. More important, we will discuss the implications of these values in relation to the aspirations and features of COAR’s Next Generation Repository...

  • ·       'Openness' is situated and is highly dependent on historical, political, social, and economic contexts
  • ·       Openness is about the right to participate in the knowledge production process, driven by issues that are of local relevance, rather than agendas imposed from the outside or from the top down
  • ·       Open Science not only calls for rethinking about the incentive and reward structure of research funding, but about who gets to set the “standards” for the tools and for the quality of research"

It seems worthwhile to reach out to them for possible involvement by the organization, or at least some of their members.

Margaret

Margaret Winker, MD

Trustee, World Association of Medical Editors

wame.org

-Views are my own.-

Odpovedať všetkým
Odpovedať autorovi