RE: Abridged summary of osi2016-25@googlegroups.com - 30 updates in 8 topics

Susan Fitzpatrick

Apr 28, 2017, 10:10:56 AM4/28/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

I think it is also a problem that scientists typically are OK with “science” perhaps being reported in ways that are not always best practices if the end result is to support agendas that are popular among scientists (like soda is in general just bad) –

If the studies in the article had gone the other way – drinking soda decreases your chances of getting in grown toenails  ( I am sure a negative correlation with something could be found) – there would be all kinds of righteous indignation (spurious correlations, errors in population sampling, lack of agreement on what constitutes “ingrowness”, and so on).

Susan M. Fitzpatrick, Ph.D.

President, James S. McDonnell Foundation

Visit JSMF forum on academic issues: www.jsmf.org/clothing-the-emperor

SMF blog  www.scientificphilanthropy.com

From: scholcom...@lists.ala.org
[mailto:scholcom...@lists.ala.org] On Behalf Of Toby....@oecd.org
...more

"Susan Fitzpatrick" <su...@jsmf.org>: Apr 27 10:40AM -0500

Might be the best approach – sum up to big solutions.

Susan M. Fitzpatrick, Ph.D.

President, James S. McDonnell Foundation

Visit JSMF forum on academic issues:
...more

Glenn Hampson

Apr 28, 2017, 10:38:38 AM4/28/17
to Susan Fitzpatrick, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Ew, but yes---an interesting angle. Does this argue against scientists getting more politically involved? That is, if scientists aren’t perceived as neutral arbiters of truth but instead as smart folks with an axe to grind, does this hurt science or help? Or are we already there? Sorry---this might be a question for the Science of Science Policy listserv but it does seem apropos to the question of how journal articles are promoted to and received by the public.

Glenn Hampson

Executive Director

National Science Communication Institute (nSCI)

Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133

(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

image001.jpg

Susan Fitzpatrick

Apr 28, 2017, 11:04:50 AM4/28/17
to Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

I believe openness could help with the “eggs in ; eggs out” issue  – in the sense that people could easily look at the studies being quoted in the paper --- such access might also make both the scientist and the reporter a bit more careful about breathless claims and reporting tiny changes in the variance as some big deal.     The other issue – I think scientists should contribute information to all kinds of civic discussions.   But once you begin to act more like a lobbyist and cherry-pick data and findings – then I believe you lose your scientific authority and become one more ax-grinder.    There is a lot that needs to be fully explored about the “rightful place of science” and scientists in politics  - But this latter conversation is more approporiate to SciSIp I agree.

image001.jpg

Rick Anderson

Apr 28, 2017, 11:08:36 AM4/28/17
to Susan Fitzpatrick, Glenn Hampson, osi20...@googlegroups.com

It’s probably also worth noting that being a scientist does not make you less likely to have personal opinions, but being a scientist—especially a famous one—does makes it more likely that people will listen to your personal opinions, regardless of how well-informed they are and whether they have anything to do with areas in which you actually have expertise.

I call this the Noam Chomsky Phenomenon.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

rick.a...@utah.edu

Apr 28, 2017, 11:09:52 AM4/28/17
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
For some Friday fun, do check out the Spurious Correlations website if you haven't already (http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations). Cheese-lovers, I'm sorry to say that your consumption correlates to a higher chance of death from becoming entangled in your bedsheets.

Hillary

Joyce Ogburn

Apr 28, 2017, 11:11:38 AM4/28/17
to Hillary Corbett, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Oh dear, I guess one shouldn't eat nachos just before going to bed. Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

Danny Kingsley

Apr 28, 2017, 11:22:16 AM4/28/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com

Well the crumbs in the sheets are just annoying if nothing else.

Glenn Hampson

Apr 28, 2017, 12:13:28 PM4/28/17
to Rick Anderson, Susan Fitzpatrick, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Yes---the Noam Chomsky Phenomenon is incredibly important---yet another tangent (thanks Rick). I’m not sure what this means, though---that the public values scientists and the scientific method but not necessarily the science itself (or not as much)? Sorry---this is disappearing quickly down the rabbit hole but maybe following this trail might help out the Culture of Communication team….

Glenn Hampson

Executive Director

National Science Communication Institute (nSCI)

Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133