RE: [scisip] Journal Prestige and Reliability

Glenn Hampson

Feb 21, 2018, 12:05:06 AM2/21/18
to Fiore, Steve, SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov, rsc...@googlegroups.com, osi20...@googlegroups.com

Hi Steve,

Do you agree with the author’s conclusion (“there is no evidence that articles published in higher ranking journals are methodologically stronger”)? To me anyway, it isn’t supportable for two main reasons:

  1. His study is based on impact factors, which are a notoriously inept measure of who knows what exactly ---it’s not hard to find articles calling for the death of impact factors. This one is my favorite: https://www.peerageofscience.org/a-tale-of-two-distributions/. Stats nerds will appreciate this take. And,
  2. It generalizes from very specific examples in specific fields of study to broad conclusions about all journals from all fields of study. That is, the quality of computer models in papers about molecular structures are better in lower impact factor journals than higher, and the statistical power in psych studies is better in lower than higher, and experimental design is better in animal studies, etc. (assuming, of course, that the sampled journals didn’t lie about their impact factors, which is a problem seen with predatory journals). Ergo “(1) experiments reported in high-ranking journals are no more methodologically sound than those published in other journals; and (2) experiments reported in high-ranking journals are often less methodologically sound than those published in other journals.” I don’t see how this generalization is warranted, but then maybe I’m reading this all wrong.

So I don’t know---many don’t go publishing in the “Journal Nobody Reads” just yet?

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director