FW: [STS-L] July 2 Webinar - Open science and the reward system

Glenn Hampson

Jun 29, 2020, 2:00:52 PM6/29/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Of possible interest---aligning incentives is an approach this group been championing for some time

Sent: Monday, June 29, 2020 10:50 AM
To: scho...@lists.ala.org; ul...@lists.ala.org; st...@lists.ala.org
Subject: [STS-L] July 2 Webinar - Open science and the reward system

*** Please excuse cross posting ***

Dear List Members,

I would like to invite you to a webinar this Thursday on:

Open science and the reward system: how can they be aligned?

This webinar brings together a panel of experts on open science and career assessment to focus on the current reward system and the potential for its reform. This promises to be a lively exchange of ideas between representatives of Eurodoc, Young Academy of Europe, Marie Curie Alumni Association and Elsevier. The aim is to gain a deeper understanding of possible changes to how we consider academic value, retain mobility internationally and beyond academia, and create incentives for open science activities.

REGISTER: https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16651/414950/open-science-and-the-reward-system-how-can-they-be-aligned

Thursday, July 2

9-10:30 a.m. EDT

If you cannot attend live, please register to have the webinar host prompt you to come back and view on demand.

All the best,

Colleen

Colleen DeLory
Director of Librarian Community
Elsevier | 525 B Street, Suite 1650 | San Diego, CA 92101 USA
Tel: +1 619 699 6283 | Mobile +1 619 548 9835 | Fax: +1 619 699 6310
E-mail:
c.de...@elsevier.com | www.elsevier.com

Partnering with the Library Community: https://libraryconnect.elsevier.com

This communication is confidential and may be privileged. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message by mistake, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system.

ACRL Science & Technology Section Discussion List

Join, change your subscription, or unsubscribe:
http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/sts-l
Archives:
http://lists.ala.org/sympa/arc/sts-l

Fiore, Steve

Jun 29, 2020, 4:53:29 PM6/29/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
This is clearly an important topic and one that needs to be addressed.  But do we need to ask what are the ramifications of this being led by an organization like Elsevier?  (BrightTALK is advertised as Elsevier's Research Intelligence division.)  Elsevier has not earned a reputation as an organization that truly cares about "open" anything beyond that which will allow them to continue capitalizing off of the work of scholars.  Is there any reason we should trust them as the honest brokers of a dialogue around incentives and open science?  Just as a simple example, when going to register for this, there is a requirement for creating an account with BrightTALK and an associated user agreement.  I've cut-and-pasted just a small portion (see below).  Is this another attempt to monetize the interactions and information sharing of scholars by mining it and turning it into a product or service?  Or, if not that blatant, is it something they'll be mining for themselves to develop a business strategy allowing them to create new incentive-based products to sell to the academic community (e.g., if journal pubs are no longer the only incentives/rewards, what else can Elsevier make to ensure a continuing revenue stream)?  I know this is a bit cynical.  But that's what happened when I was excited to see this webinar topic announced, but then became disillusioned when I saw it was affiliated with Elsevier.

Best,
Steve

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

2.8 Licence to Content, Your Data and Your Performance

You hereby grant BrightTALK a non-transferable (except as provided herein), royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide licence to perform such acts in connection with Your Content as is necessary to provide the Services. The foregoing licence includes, without limitation, permission for BrightTALK to: (a) aggregate, publicly display, transmit, distribute, copy in its original form or in the form of an encoded work, store, archive, modify, create derivative works of, or reproduce Your Content and to perform such other acts with respect to Your Content as are necessary from time to time to provide the Services; (b) use Your Content and Your name, voice, likeness, persona and performance in connection with any webinars or other Content that You post, provide or participate in, in connection with the Service; (c) offer or provide open access to Your Content on or through the Site (or other website or service wholly-owned and/or operated by BrightTALK) and/or sub-domains thereof; (d) grant sublicences to Your Content to enable Your Content to be embedded and displayed on third party websites; (e) to distribute, transmit, and/or display Your Content on the Site or via such technologies as are or may in the future be supported by BrightTALK from time to time including without limitation, the internet and/or wireless transmission; (f) display advertisements in connection with or alongside any display of Your Content. For the avoidance of doubt, the parties expressly agree and acknowledge that the Services do not include any transfer of title to, or ownership of, any right or interest in Your Content. Such licence will survive termination of this Agreement.

Jun 29, 2020, 6:13:12 PM6/29/20
to Fiore, Steve, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Dear Steve and OSI friends,
I know a number of staff analysts at Elsevier who work hard on scholarly communications in ways that make me trust the larger company. IMHO, Elsevier has been unfairly vilified for being a private, money-making company. I know there are many who do not agree with me on that - but I would attend an Elsevier workshop without worry about a hidden profit motive.
Caroline

Jun 30, 2020, 8:36:52 AM6/30/20
to Wagner, Caroline, Fiore, Steve, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hi all - thanks to Glenn for adding me to the group and hello to folks I may not have e-met yet (looks like we won't be meeting in person for much until 2021!)

My two cents on this is if the speakers are good and the content is good, I'm not fussed about Elsevier's role in event. It doesn't take long to see when something is a sales pitch vs. substance. That said, looking at the speakers list...I'm not convinced on this specific one.

Stay healthy and well,

Sara

Sara Rouhi

Director, Strategic Partnerships

+1 202 505 0814

Tw: @RouhiRoo

Remote based in Washington, D.C.

PLOS

Empowering researchers to transform science

Interested in PLOS' new business models? Get more info.