Fwd: NYTimes: Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream of Becoming a Science Superpower

Joyce Ogburn

Oct 14, 2017, 9:49:47 AM10/14/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
Good morning, y’all. I just read this article in The NY Times about China’s ambitions in research and the amount of fraud and retraction that is occurring. Relevant to discussions earlier on the list.

Joyce

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joyce Ogburn <jogbu...@gmail.com>
Date: October 14, 2017 at 9:42:15 AM EDT
To: joyce ogburn <ogbu...@appstate.edu>
Subject: NYTimes: Fraud Scandals Sap China’s Dream of Becoming a Science Superpower

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/world/asia/china-science-fraud-scandals.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Fraudulent research and faked peer reviews have led to a humiliating setback for China’s goal of becoming a global leader in scientific research.

Sent from my iPad

David Wojick

Oct 14, 2017, 11:38:21 AM10/14/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
This strikes me as the standard anti-Chinese rhetoric, of which there is a surprising amount. China is producing vast amounts of research, second only to the US. They are already a science superpower.

David
--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Jo De

Wagner, Caroline S.

Oct 14, 2017, 12:06:47 PM10/14/17
to Jo De, David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Dear OSI friends,
Does China have problems in its race to join the ranks of world science? Yes? Will it get there? Yes. Please look at the second figure in the article I just had with Koen Jonkers in Nature. You will see that China's share of the top 10% of most highly cited articles is growing rapidly. This article is "click bait" extreme headlining. Agree with David, China is already a global player.
Caroline Wagner

Oct 14, 2017, 12:10:31 PM10/14/17
to Jo De, David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com
I can't help but love the idea of counterfeit mice. Counterfeit genes can't be far behind. Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

Glenn Hampson

Oct 14, 2017, 12:16:34 PM10/14/17
to osi2016-25-googlegroups.com

I think it’s important here David---like with the rise of small publishers you’ve so often spoken about---to see this not as evidence of some national character flaw, but as evidence of what’s wrong with scholarly publishing in general. This article describes how Chinese researchers are pressured to produce quantity over quality and describes how they rely on impact factors---the same criticisms we make about research everywhere. But it also points out how their rapidly growing institutions haven’t caught up yet in ethical standards with regard to peer review and the falsification of data. According to this article, plagiarism is now on the decline in China thanks to growing awareness about the ethical guidelines regarding this practice.

So while I agree with you that we should be careful not to sound judgmental with these kinds of analyses, I do think the underlying issues need to be noted so we can help address them. To wit, to the extent that OSI and others can help raise standards in China with regard to the falsification of data and faking of peer review, then analyses like this can be helpful.

Best,

Glenn

Rick Anderson

Oct 14, 2017, 12:35:15 PM10/14/17
to Wagner, Caroline S., Jo De, David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com

It’s easy enough to characterize the NYT article as “standard anti-Chinese rhetoric” or as “click-bait” and “extreme headlining.” What would be more interesting, though, would be to demonstrate that there’s something wrong with the NYT’s reporting.

This ought to be easy enough to do, since the article in question makes some specific and falsifiable claims. Among them:

* Since 2012, China “has retracted more scientific papers because of faked peer reviews than all other countries and territories put together.”

* A “government investigation highlighted the existence of a thriving online black market that sells everything from positive peer reviews to entire research articles.”

* Although it is a problem in other countries as well (including the United States), “fraud appears to be especially widespread in Chinese academic institutions.”

* According to a Chinese professor, “in China, the cost of cheating is very low. They won’t fire you.”

Is this reporting wrong? (If so, how?) Is the reporting factually correct, but biased or misleading? (If so, what would be a more accurate way of portraying the findings?)

If, on the other hand, the reporting in this article is reasonably accurate and reliable, then this seems like exactly the kind of problem we ought to be worrying about – whether we find it in China or in the US or anywhere else.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

rick.a...@utah.edu

Anthony Watkinson

Oct 14, 2017, 12:42:58 PM10/14/17
to David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com

I agree with David. It is not now any longer about Chinese research getting accepted it is now getting more citations which may be a guide to quality.

Anthony