Global Alliance of Open Access Scholarly Communication Platforms to democratize knowledge launched

jon.tennant.2

Apr 13, 2019, 7:32:55 AM4/13/19
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Anthony Watkinson

Apr 13, 2019, 10:57:33 AM4/13/19
to jon.tennant.2, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hi Jon

This looks really interesting. Do you know how it works? It is our (CIBER) picture that ECRs as authors are keen on outreach to the general public but feel that they are not able to do the “translation” and that someone else should do this. If someone else does there are costs. Funders?

Anthony

Apr 13, 2019, 11:02:50 AM4/13/19
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hey Anthony,

Sadly, I only know as much as you from reading the article! The most interesting part perhaps being that it is UNESCO driving this, apparently. Hopefully we can learn some more details soon, as this looks really exciting to me, with some brilliant people behind it.

Whew, good question too re ECRs and public engagement/outreach. I've been doing stuff in this space for many years now, and barely received a penny for most of my efforts, or spent much really either. And pretty happy with that. A bunch of us are writing a paper atm (near-complete) that is a sort of strategy for 'innovative dissemination' which will go into much more detail about these sorts of things and will be useful for ECRs. As for costs, depends on what the specifics are!

Jon

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:57:33 PM UTC+2, anthony.watkinson wrote:
Hi Jon

This looks really interesting. Do you know how it works? It is our (CIBER) picture that ECRs as authors are keen on outreach to the general public but feel that they are not able to do the “translation” and that someone else should do this. If someone else does there are costs. Funders?

Anthony

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

Anthony Watkinson

Apr 13, 2019, 11:04:55 AM4/13/19
to jon.tennant.2, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Looking forward to the paper. Thanks Jon

Anthony

Glenn Hampson

Apr 13, 2019, 11:09:47 AM4/13/19
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

I wish I knew more Jon, Anthony---I’ll try to find out. OSI is in the background on this---we recommended people for this panel (at WSIS 2019) and the original idea was for OSI to be represented as well. But it looks like Bhanu morphed this into a panel of just platforms, which makes sense. That thought process was all UNESCO---OSI didn’t have a hand in the idea but it seems like an intriguing one and we’re ready to help.

David Wojick

Apr 13, 2019, 1:10:13 PM4/13/19
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
I am unclear what a platform is (and seeing the term used a lot, including with Plan S). Is there a standard definition somewhere? Or perhaps some paradigm examples (which is how many concepts are defined).

My particular interest is https://worldwidescience.org/, which I helped develop. It provides access to over a hundred collections from over 70 countries around the globe - https://worldwidescience.org/indextext.html - and includes translated search for with multiple languages. But it has no content of its own, so is it a platform? I call it a portal.

David

At 11:09 AM 4/13/2019, Glenn Hampson wrote:
I wish I knew more Jon, Anthony---I’ll try to find out. OSI is in the background on this---we recommended people for this panel (at WSIS 2019) and the original idea was for OSI to be represented as well. But it looks like Bhanu morphed this into a panel of just platforms, which makes sense. That thought process was all UNESCO---OSI didn’t have a hand in the idea but it seems like an intriguing one and we’re ready to help.

Apr 13, 2019, 1:23:27 PM4/13/19
to David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

“Platform” can be variously defined David, but in this case it’s the infrastructure (the website and other bones) on which journal articles are submitted, edited, hosted and accessed. In some cases---SciELO, for instance---it’s much more since SciELO is also full-fledged network of editors, has rules of operation, permanent staff, etc. (it’s more of a robust publishing operation/model than a “platform”). So a “coalition of platforms” in this case, considering the groups in the room, might signal a broad collaboration between leading “independent” open access models/actors on standards, goals, and maybe even more (e.g., actual infrastructure operations). I don’t know the details, though. When Bhanu is ready he’ll let us know (or maybe Abel would be wiling to shed some light on this).

Bryan Alexander

Apr 13, 2019, 5:12:29 PM4/13/19
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I would definitely like to learn more about this.
It connects with several OSI themes, including our concern for north-south balance.

Abel L. Packer

Apr 13, 2019, 6:46:50 PM4/13/19
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Hi, Glenn, We are very happy with the launching of the Global Alliance of Open Access Scholarly Communication Platforms (GLOALL).

Here is a brief background:
1. GLOALL was idealized during the SciELO 20 Years Week, September 2018.  It was originally agreed by OpenEdition, Érudit and SciELO, respectively represented by Pierre Mounier, Tanja Niemann and myself.
2. After a meeting of Crossref Board in Madrid, 8-9 March, I went to Paris for various meetings including a meeting with Pierre and Bhanu, March 12th, when we had the opportunity to discuss the proposal of the GLOALL
3.  Bhanu bought the proposal of the GLOALL and made it the subject of the session on Access to Scientific Knowledge at the WSIS2019, Geneva, April 8th, with the participation of the six invited platforms.
4. The representatives of the platforms described their provenance, state of development and perspectives on the idea a Global Alliance. According the WSIS2019 the presentations will be available soon -
5. The GLOALL was consensually agreed by the representatives of the six platforms in the terms of the announcement by UNESCO.
6. Bhanu led the process of launching the GLOALL.

In my opinion, a key advance of the group on the establishment of the GLOALL was to cleared away the (in my opinion) stigmatizing concept of Global South.

Abel

Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz

Apr 13, 2019, 7:09:00 PM4/13/19
to Abel L. Packer, Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

https://en.unesco.org/news/launch-global-alliance-open-access-scholarly-communication-platforms-democratize-knowledge

Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz

Diretor Científico

FAPESP

Anthony Watkinson

Apr 14, 2019, 12:34:25 PM4/14/19
to Abel L. Packer, Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I am extremely interested in how Gloall clears away the stigmatising concept of the Global South.
Can Abel or someone else explain this.

Anthony

Apr 15, 2019, 2:22:15 PM4/15/19
to abel....@gmail.com, osi20...@googlegroups.com, dwo...@craigellachie.us, gham...@nationalscience.org
Hi Abel

I have lost track of the acronyms here. Apologies. This initiative is new to me. What is an SDG?

Anthony
Apr 15, 2019, 2:34:01 PM4/15/19
to Anthony Watkinson, osi2016-25-googlegroups.com, David Wojick, gham...@nationalscience.org
Anthony

SDG - Sustainable Development Goals

Best. Abel

Abel L Packer

David Wojick

Apr 15, 2019, 2:39:55 PM4/15/19
to anthony....@btinternet.com, abel....@gmail.com, osi20...@googlegroups.com
SDG = 17 Sustainable Development Goals under the UN Agenda 2030.
https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/?menu=1300

The connection is indirect.

David

At 02:22 PM 4/15/2019, 'ANTHONY WATKINSON' via The Open Scholarship Initiative wrote:
Hi Abel

I have lost track of the acronyms here. Apologies. This initiative is new to me. What is an SDG?

Anthony

I am unclear what a platform is (and seeing the term used a lot, including with Plan S). Is there a standard definition somewhere? Or perhaps some paradigm examples (which is how many concepts are defined).

My particular interest is https://worldwidescience.org/ , which I helped develop. It provides access to over a hundred collections from over 70 countries around the globe - https://worldwidescience.org/indextext.html - and includes translated search for with multiple languages. But it has no content of its own, so is it a platform? I call it a portal.

David

At 11:09 AM 4/13/2019, Glenn Hampson wrote:

I wish I knew more Jon, Anthony---I’ll try to find out. OSI is is in the background on this---we recommended people for this panel (at WSIS 2019) and the original idea was for OSI to be represented as well. But it looks like Bhanu morphed this into a panel of just platforms, which makes sense. That thought process was all UNESCO---OSI didn’t„¢t have a hand in the idea but it seems like an intriguing one and we’re ready to help.