FW: Meeting recap

Glenn Hampson

Dec 10, 2019, 6:53:49 PM12/10/19
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Folks,

A summary of yesterday’s summit meeting is below. Meeting attendees are currently kicking around a few follow-up ideas. Additional kicking is welcome, on- or off-list.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

Dec 10, 2019, 9:15:10 PM12/10/19
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Thank you for the summary, Glenn.  And thank you all for the reflections.

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Anthony Watkinson

Dec 11, 2019, 6:31:50 AM12/11/19
to Bryan Alexander, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative

I had intended to join this meeting but when the time came round I had deadlines to deal with. Apologies

Here are some comments inline. Well not comments but encouragement.

It seems to me that strategy 2 does not cut out strategy 1.

The difficulty of inserting speakers into conferences is that OSI is not well known particularly outside the USA. I have probably failed to get a presentation into a major publishing meeting where I have some leverage although I did succeed with a major US library meeting. Yesterday I had lunch with a very prominent UK librarian who chairs an important European library grouping committed to OA and OS (as he is). He had never heard of OSI. I corrected him and will follow up.

Anthony

Anthony Watkinson

Principal Consultant CIBER Research

Honorary Lecturer University College London

Director Charleston Library Conference

Hi Team,

Thanks again for your time today. Let me know what you think of this recap:

Attending: Richard Gedeye, Mel DeSart, Joann Delenick, Margaret Winker, Ilona Miko, Donald Samulack, Glenn Hampson

Introduction: As per the revised action plan circulated last week (see attached file, “OSI-new-2020-plan.docx"), OSI can pursue three courses of action at present:

1.       Stay the course: Keep looking for major funding so that OSI can pursue the original action plan (see attached file, “OSI 2020-25 action plan.docx”)---involving studies, tech projects, and education/outreach programs costing at least $150k/yr.

2.       Course correction: Do what we can for now---collaboration, “free” efforts, more writing, more outreach, more promotion, support the UN’s work, publish OSI’s “Plan A”, follow the funding for specific projects, etc.---while continuing to search for major funding YES

3.       Quit: Publish Plan A as this group’s final recommendation and then close shop

Discussion: Which course of action does this group prefer? The consensus was strategy #2---to correct our course. Some of the specific ideas we discussed in conjunction with this strategy were to:

1.       Do a better job of promoting OSI: YES

a.       Make more appearances at industry events (like SSP), write a piece about “Plan A” for TSK or as a Nature editorial, do a better job of promoting OSI briefs and reports (and write more briefs and reports), etc. YES

b.       Rewrite and rename Plan A?---make it more digestible and immediately recognizable---maybe something along the lines of a “Vision for Creating a Collaborate Community in Scholarly Communication” (not necessarily a roadmap since our plan is not very specific).YES

2.       Continue to pursue funding YES

a.       Including a more effectively promoted crowdsource funding (from individuals instead of corporations) YES

b.       Including funding for issues instead of OSI

image001.jpg
image002.jpg