GDPR

Glenn Hampson

May 25, 2018, 5:49:24 PM5/25/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Everyone,

As you know, GDPR begins today. Recognizing that many of you are concerned about how these new Internet privacy regulations will affect your businesses, I wanted to remind everyone of the basics of your OSI-related data:

  1. YOUR CURRENT MEMBERSHIP: If you are receiving this email, it’s because you elected to participate in OSI with full knowledge that there was a listserv involved, as well as conferences and reports. Other OSI-related types of communication (direct emails, conference calls, etc.) have also been voluntary and opt-in.
  2. YOUR FUTURE MEMBERSHIP: You have always been free to step away from OSI at any time, and/or to unsubscribe from the list and/or ask to have your listserv settings changed so you receive daily summaries instead (or just retain web-only access). Just send me an email if this is the case.
  3. YOUR PRIVACY: If you prefer to have your name removed from the OSI website, just email me. It’s currently there (under the “participants” tab on the OSI website) to comply with our transparency requirements---people need to know who’s participating in this effort since this is a public and publicly-funded effort. Under article 5 of GDPR, a listing like this which is “for archiving purposes in the public interest” is acceptable. But if you are concerned this use might be seen as marketing, we will honor your right to privacy over our requirement for transparency and your name will be removed from the site. Other than this web listing (and where your name may also appear in OSI reports, blog posts, issue briefs, listserv conversations and other content generated by OSI), OSI does not use your names for marketing purposes and will not do so without first getting your explicit permission.
  4. YOUR RIGHT TO BE DELETED: OSI cannot, for now, delete your name from reports generated by OSI or from OSI listserv posts you have authored. We can, however, as mentioned above, remove your name upon request from the OSI website. Under GDRP, you have a “right to be forgotten.” As explained in GDRP’s article 17, this right is not absolute and applies only in certain circumstances. OSI’s transparency obligation is sufficient to warrant maintaining any listserv posts, reports, or other content generated by OSI participants, at least until such time as these data are no longer needed.
  5. OTHER DATA COLLECTION AND USE: OSI retains no data on OSI participants other than name, email address(es), bylines, and in a few cases, telephone numbers and mailing addresses. No other record exists of other private information. In the past, lists containing OSI conference participant names, bylines and emails have been shared in print and electronically within the OSI community but never outside. If you have an electronic (pdf) version of the OSI2016 and/or OSI2017 report on your computer, you are in possession of such lists and need to decide what do with them based on our institution’s own data retention policies. Going forward, we will not release these or similar lists to the full OSI membership without first getting explicit opt-in permission to do so. With specific regard to the OSI website, this doesn’t contain any cookies or collect any information about users other than standard Google analytics data (and GDPR compliance with this tool is on the Google end). With specific regard to email marketing, OSI doesn’t engage in any such marketing using third-party email lists. We do reach out directly to people who may be interested in OSI, but we do this individually and not as part of any mass-marketing campaigns.

I believe that’s everything but I know many of you are much better versed on this new policy than I am. If I’m missing anything here, please let me know and I’ll add it.

Thanks everyone,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director