Summary of OSI Summit meeting in DC

T Scott Plutchak

Mar 22, 2018, 12:49:49 PM3/22/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Members of the OSI Summit Group met at American University in Washington DC on March 13-14.  Many thanks to our host, Nancy Davenport, University Librarian, and her team.

Attending:  Bryan Alexander, Rick Anderson, Kim Barrett, Nancy Davenport, Joann Delenick, Mel DeSart, Chris Erdman, Glenn Hampson, Patrick Herron, Gemma Hersh, Claudia Holland, Bhanu Neupane, Joyce Ogburn, Eric Olson, Abel Packer, T Scott Plutchak (interim Summit chair), Wim van der Steldt, John Warren.

The overall goal of the meeting was to develop action plans for the coming months, as OSI shifts from the information gathering / discussion phase to a more action oriented one.  Several items resulted from the day and a half of discussions:

  • OSI Briefs – a series of short (1200-1500 word) papers that distill the key findings from the OSI conferences and online discussions to date.  The Briefs would have a similar structure including a concise statement of the topic, previous work done, work that still needs to be done, organizations working on the topic, key stakeholders, policy makers who might be able to influence the topic and strategies for collaboration.  A “prospectus” including draft introduction, sample Brief, potential list of topics, and proposed timeline will be shared with the full OSI list for comment in mid-April.  It will be critical to develop a solid marketing and evaluation plan in order to gauge the impact of the Briefs.
  • OSI structure & governance – agreed to continue as is for the next year, with an informally organized Summit group of about 30, drawn from the various stakeholder groups.  The Summit group will develop the action plans and will report regularly to the full OSI list to solicit feedback, ideas and volunteers to work on projects.
  • Regional & local meetings – there is an opportunity to work with the SCIELO 20 program committee to develop a session during their conference in Brazil in the fall.  A possible OSI presence at the proposed UNESCO “International Congress On Knowledge Economy” in China this October or November is under development.  The group talked about returning to the “tiger teams” concept to look for opportunities to do OSI related sessions at various conferences and meetings during the course of the year.
  • RSComm website – agreed to temporarily put the RSComm website on hold and instead redesign the OSI website, turn it into more of an open resources portal and link to the Briefs as they are published.
  • Summit meetings and OSI discussions – Summit group will continue to hold monthly Zoom meetings.  We’ll schedule two meetings each month in order to maximize participation from non-US based members.  We need to have additional discussion on the mechanics of using the discussion list and other tools (e.g., Slack) to better facilitate discussion among all of the OSI participants.

Comments, questions and discussion are encouraged.

Scott

T Scott Plutchak
Librarian
Epistemologist
Birmingham, Alabama

David Wojick

Mar 22, 2018, 3:50:13 PM3/22/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
It sounds like the OSI Briefs do not take policy positions. Is that correct? Given the general lack of agreement in discussions it might make sense. Or you need a way to handle conflicting positions.

David

David Wojick
Epistemologist (Pitt)
http://insidepublicaccess.com/

At 12:49 PM 3/22/2018, T Scott Plutchak wrote:

Members of the OSI Summit Group met at American University in Washington DC on March 13-14.  Many thanks to our host, Nancy Davenport, University Librarian, and her team.

Attending:  Bryan Alexander, Rick Anderson, Kim Barrett, Nancy Davenport, Joann Delenick, Mel DeSart, Chris Erdman, Glenn Hampson, Patrick Herron, Gemma Hersh, Claudia Holland, Bhanu Neupane, Joyce Ogburn, Eric Olson, Abel Packer, T Scott Plutchak (interim Summit chair), Wim van der Steldt, John Warren.

The overall goal of the meeting was to develop action plans for the coming months, as OSI shifts from the information gathering / discussion phase to a more action oriented one.  Several items resulted from the day and a half of discussions:

  • OSI Briefs – a series of short (1200-1500 word) papers that distill thee key findings from the OSI conferences and online discussions to date.  The Briefs would have a similar structure including a concise statement of the topic, previous work done, work that still needs to be done, organizations working on the topic, key stakeholders, policy makers who might be able to influence the topic and strategies for collaboration.  A “prospectus†including draft introduction, sample Brief, potential list of topics, and proposed timeline will be shared with the full OSI list for comment in mid-April.  It will be critical to develop a solid marketing and evaluation plan in order to gauge the impact of the Briefs.
  • OSI structure & governance – agreed to continue as is for the next year, with an informally organized Summit group of about 30, drawn from the various stakeholder groups.  The Summit group will develop the action plans and will report regularly to the full OSI list to solicit feedback, ideas and volunteers to work on projects.
  • Regional & local meetings – there is an opportunity to work with the SCIIELO 20 program committee to develop a session during their conference in Brazil in the fall.  A possible OSI presence at the proposed UNESCO “International Congress On Knowledge Economy†in China this October or November is under development.  The group talked about returning to the “tiger teams†concept to look for opportunities to do OSI related sessions at various conferences and meetings during the course of the year.
  • RSComm website – agreed to temporarily put the RSComm website on hold and instead redesign the OSI website, turn it into more of an open resources portal and link to the Briefs as they are published.
  • Summit meetings and OSI discussions – Summit group will continue to hold mmonthly Zoom meetings.  We’ll schedule two meetings each month in order to maximize participation from non-US based members.  We need to have additional discussion on the mechanics of using the discussion list and other tools (e.g., Slack) to better facilitate discussion among all of the OSI participants.

splu...@gmail.com
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4712-5233
http://tscott.typepad.com

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

T Scott Plutchak

Mar 22, 2018, 3:51:34 PM3/22/18
to David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Correct.  More details when we send out the prospectus next month.

Scott

Glenn Hampson

Mar 22, 2018, 4:11:00 PM3/22/18
to T Scott Plutchak, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Or maybe correct-ish? For instance, is it taking a policy position to publish a paper describing the open spectrum? Some people might see this as a statement of fact; others might see this as a betrayal of BOAI principles; still others might intone from this a new and legitimate method of capturing the range of open activities at their institution and from this trying to move these activities toward a more open state.

One of the main takeaways from the summit conference, I think, was an affirmation of our intent to embrace a wide range of approaches to and perspectives on open while at the same time move toward real, wide-scale, collaborative and lasting improvements in open and the scholarly communication environment. So these papers serve as mile-markers for where are now---very broad pieces that capture a range of ideas and perspectives in ways we don’t normally see---but they may also lay out goals (where possible) for where we should be heading (in accordance with the wishes of the group, as derived from OSI conference papers). This isn’t the same as saying “we know best, are in total agreement, and have decided the world shall do this,” but we will start nudging the scholarly communication community to work together in certain ways and directions. Step one is to spell out exactly what we think in easily digestible bits---that’s what these papers represent

So, I would suggest that we keep the “ish” in “correct.”

Correct? 😊

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson