More on patents

Schultz, Jack C.

Aug 16, 2017, 9:42:42 AM8/16/17
to osi20...@googlegroups.com
The tweet that triggered the discussion I just circulated about patents is here. Do you agree with the premise in paragraph 2?

  JACK

Richard Poynder

Aug 16, 2017, 10:45:23 AM8/16/17
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Jack,

I have responded to your tweet here: https://twitter.com/RickyPo/status/897821779581906944

My main point: OA has primarily been driven by librarians, and librarians primary focus has always been on reducing costs.

Best wishes,

Richard

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Michael Eisen

Aug 16, 2017, 10:56:22 AM8/16/17
to Richard Poynder, The Open Scholarship Initiative
That's an "odd" view of the history of OA.

On 16 August 2017 at 14:42, Schultz, Jack C. <schu...@missouri.edu> wrote:

[...]

Michael Eisen, Ph.D.
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor of Genetics, Genomics and Development
University of California, Berkeley

Schultz, Jack C.

Aug 16, 2017, 10:57:45 AM8/16/17
to mbe...@gmail.com, Richard Poynder, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Agreed

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to osi2016-25+...@googlegroups.com.

Joyce Ogburn

Aug 16, 2017, 7:25:21 PM8/16/17
to Schultz, Jack C., mbe...@gmail.com, Richard Poynder, The Open Scholarship Initiative
In my work on principles, economic factors were only one of the principles listed even in the early days. See for example this excerpt from my chapter published last fall:

"Principles for Emerging Systems of Scholarly Publishing, known as the Tempe Principles, was issued in 2000. This set of principles resulted from a meeting sponsored by the Association of American Universities, the Association of Research Libraries, and the University Extending the Principles and Promise of Scholarly Communication of Kansas with the intent to “build consensus on a set of principles that could guide the transformation of the scholarly publishing system.” The participants tied “the creation, dissemination, and application of new knowledge” to “an informed citizenry and a healthy global economy.”viii The document identifies nine principles that urge action to deal with current issues of scholarly publishing. Principles cover containing the cost of publishing, electronic capabilities, the permanence of scholarly publications, and the evaluation of the quality of publications. Other principles call for achieving a better balance of copyright for owners and users, negotiating faculty rights favorable to ready use, reducing the time from submission to publication, assuring that quality of publications rather than quantity guide faculty evaluations, and protecting the privacy of the users of scholarly works."

The Tempe Principles precede by a couple of years the formal establishment of OA principles and definitions, but many of the principles remained the same.

Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

Jo De

Aug 17, 2017, 2:03:57 PM8/17/17
to Joyce Ogburn, Schultz, Jack C., mbe...@gmail.com, Richard Poynder, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Thanks for providing the background Joyce.  From my perspective, open access is a way to demarcate the types of new knowledge that are segregated.
Joann