Article in The Wire

Joyce Ogburn

May 9, 2018, 11:10:24 AM5/9/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Says there are  56,726 journals in existence

Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

Laurie Goodman

May 9, 2018, 11:30:32 AM5/9/18
to Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Wow- wonder how many of those are OA. Certainly that many journals can't be afloat under subscription.

Laurie Goodman, PhD Editor-in-Chief, GigaScience. ORCID

Main Email: edit...@gigasciencejournal.com; Website: http://www.gigasciencejournal.com

Follow us on Twitter @GigaScience; Find us at FaceBook; Read GigaBlog

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/osi2016-25.

Alexander Garcia Castro

Laurie Goodman

May 9, 2018, 12:01:42 PM5/9/18
to Alexander Garcia Castro, Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Oh, I'm totally agreed with that. I was looking at it from the standpoint of all the business models- and how that overall impacts  researchers with regard to costs of publishing across the board from the APCs.

I totally believe the PDF delivery system as a journal is quite antiquated (hopefully the changes we're trying to make at GigaScience show that). But, I also have serious concerns about the costs to researchers here. I think APCs are way too high in many many cases for what researchers get in return (especially if it is just a PDF delivery system without care of quality.) Once for researchers it was "I can't read the journals"- and now it's "I can't submit to journals".

Oh, related to costs- Spinger-Nature have pulled back their bid for an IPO.

-L

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Alexander Garcia Castro <alexg...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Glenn Hampson

May 9, 2018, 3:00:23 PM5/9/18
to Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative

There are about half this number when you filter for refereed and active journals published in English (according to Mark Ware and others). I’m not aware of any other type of count---interesting if true. Considering the rest of the content in this article, though, I don’t know….lots of misinformation, the same tired plot and cast (Elsevier as the villain, SciHub as Robin Hood, copyright as the great injustice), the same solution (access is a problem—the only solution is revolt). Unfortunately, this loud and simplistic kind of narrative commands headlines in today’s world.

--

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

Joyce Ogburn

David Wojick

May 9, 2018, 3:58:50 PM5/9/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
The context makes it sound like a Crossref number, or else it comes out of thin air.

The concept of a journal is too vague to support that kind of precision in any case. Nor is there any way to find and count them all. I seem to recall someone who claimed to have a list of 35,000 free journals awhile back. No subscription and no APC. Anyone else see that? Then too we have the 10,000 to 20,000 Beall's list journals, many of which probably have some sort of review, but who knows. Then there are the myriad regional non-English journals. This is really all unchartered territory.

Posting a number like that is shaky journalism.

David

At 03:00 PM 5/9/2018, Glenn Hampson wrote:
There are about half this number when you filter for refereed and active journals published in English (according to Mark Ware and others). I’m not aware of any other type of count---interesting if true. Considering the rest of the content in this article, though, I don’t know….lots of misinformation, the same tiired plot and cast (Elsevier as the villain, SciHub as Robin Hood, copyright as the great injustice), the same solution (access is a problem—thhe only solution is revolt). Unfortunately, this loud and simplistic kind of narrative commands headlines in today’s world.

Glenn Hampson

David Wojick

May 9, 2018, 4:42:38 PM5/9/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Isn't the science citation index based on English language journals?

David
<2013-publishers.pdf>

Joyce Ogburn

May 9, 2018, 4:46:55 PM5/9/18
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Since we are global and encouraging global participation perhaps we should look for a more inclusive number. I have no suggestions how to do this but we might aspire to this.

Joyce

Sent from my iPhone

Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz

May 9, 2018, 5:00:29 PM5/9/18
to David Wojick, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hello David, Glenn, OSI colleagues:

The Science Citation Index grew to be the Web of Science (a service offered by Clarivate Analytics). The Web of Science (WoS) includes:

  1. Web of Science core collection:

1.1.   Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED) --1945-present

1.2.   Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) --1956-present

1.3.   Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI) --1975-present

1.4.   Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) --2015-present

  1. Other sources:

2.1.   Derwent Innovations Index

2.2.   KCI-Korean Journal Database

2.3.   Russian Science Citation Index

2.4.   SciELO Citation Index

As you see by the names, the  collection includes publications from several languages. If you consult all publications for the year 2017, the idiom distribution is shown in the table below.

Languages

records

ENGLISH

5282892

KOREAN

76054

SPANISH

50553

RUSSIAN

44755

GERMAN

25215

PORTUGUESE

21792

FRENCH

20480

CHINESE

8728

ITALIAN

5876

UNSPECIFIED

2890

TURKISH

2851

POLISH

1960

JAPANESE

1946

CROATIAN

1565

CZECH

1227

NORWEGIAN

1097

DUTCH

680

SLOVAK

526

HUNGARIAN

505

ARABIC

395

SLOVENIAN

341

CATALAN

336

UKRAINIAN

286

SERBIAN

283

MALAY

249

AFRIKAANS

230

SWEDISH

215

PERSIAN

196

LITHUANIAN

180

INDONESIAN

136

ROMANIAN

130

GREEK

110

ICELANDIC

103

ESTONIAN

92

THAI

72

SERBO CROATIAN

61

BULGARIAN

44

GALICIAN

36

LATIN

20

DANISH

16

FINNISH

14

WELSH

12

MONGOLIAN

10

VIETNAMESE

5

LATVIAN

4

GEORGIAN

3

ALBANIAN

1

BENGALI

1

HEBREW

1

HINDI

1

MALAGASY

1

SWAHILI

1

If you consider only the Science Citation Index the total number is much smaller (350 thousand, approxim.), but still there are items in several languages.

Best

Brito

Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz

Diretor Científico

FAPESP

David Wojick

May 9, 2018, 5:01:34 PM5/9/18
to Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative
We are talking about the whole ocean of knowledge.

Based on my work on the WorldWideScience.org portal, most (or every) major country has a national archive of some national language journal articles. I am pretty sure that each country has lots of national language journals. Some of these document databases are listed here: https://worldwidescience.org/indextextWWS.org features local language translation search on these archives.

The WWS.org people might even have journal count numbers.

David

Glenn Hampson

May 9, 2018, 5:08:42 PM5/9/18
to Carlos Henrique de Brito Cruz, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Thanks Brito!---so yes, that’s about the same proportion: 95% of 5.5. million records are in English. Can you do a count for publishers while you’re in there? 😊 (and filter for active and refereed)

David Wojick

May 9, 2018, 5:43:43 PM5/9/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Right, but I am sure this in no way reflects the global picture. Several countries have complained bitterly about this English language bias in WOS, most notably Brazil.

Scopus and Google Scholar are also mostly English language I think.  WWS.org may well be the most global, but it is just a searchable federation.

David