UNESCO update

Glenn Hampson

Jun 4, 2020, 4:05:56 PM6/4/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Folks,

--just a status update on our UNESCO paper. I had a nice conversation this morning with Ana Persic at UNESCO. Our group’s recommendations have been well received and are in-line with UNESCO’s thinking that “open” is a diverse space and that one-size-fits-all solutions are neither wise nor workable.

The next milestone in UNESCO’s consultative process will be an EU/North American policy maker summit meeting in early July. I will make a presentation on behalf of OSI. After this step, a first draft of UNESCO’s open science policy will be developed by September and will then begin additional rounds of review and feedback.

In parallel, I’m still trying to get US science policy agencies together to discuss their various and disconnected open roadmap efforts. It’s important that these groups understand the contours of each other’s plans, and also understand how their plans might mesh or conflict with other large scale policies (including each other’s).

That’s it for this topic---happy to field question on or off list.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

image002.jpg

Joyce Ogburn

Jun 4, 2020, 8:19:23 PM6/4/20
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Can you remind of the roadmaps to which you are Referring? I’ve lost track!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2020, at 4:05 PM, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Glenn Hampson

Jun 4, 2020, 9:53:31 PM6/4/20
to Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Joyce,

True. We’ve spun out three big ideas so far this year. The first was the case for common ground action on open scholarship reform, upon which the second big idea---Plan A---was based.

The third big idea was this group’s consolidated specific ideas and recommendations for UNESCO about open science---a “roadmap” for how to get to the future of open science using common ground and Plan A.

These pillars all connect, and are all related to the themes developed by/in OSI of embracing the diversity in this space, and working together on common goals and interests.

Here’s the link again: http://osiglobal.org/2020/06/01/open-science-policy-recommendations-to-unesco

Best,

Glenn

Joyce Ogburn

Jun 5, 2020, 7:41:38 AM6/5/20
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
This is the roadmaps I was talking about:

In parallel, I’m still trying to get US science policy agencies together to discuss their various and disconnected open roadmap efforts.

Joyce

Sent from my iPhone

Glenn Hampson

Jun 5, 2020, 12:14:31 PM6/5/20
to Joyce Ogburn, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Aha. Well:

  1. The National Academies launched an effort about a year ago (the “Roundtable on Aligning Incentives for Open Science”) to try to map out the challenges and potential solutions for open science in the US. This group has met twice so far (Sept 2019 and Feb 2020), and looks like a mini-OSI---lots of cross-stakeholder representation.
  2. Separately, the US Office of Science and Technology Policy has, as you know, been considering “updating” the US Public Access policy (I’ve had conversations for a long time now with OSTP leaders, and also submitted a personal comment regarding OSTP’s latest RFI on this policy).
  3. Also separately, the US National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, American Association of Universities, American Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities, and a number of scholarly societies, have all floated their own long-range plans (or at least plans for developing plans) for the future of open science. Some of these are just one-page proposals made a few years ago and then shelved (and the NAS effort is kind of a surrogate for continuing this thinking); others are active.

Both in the US and UN, there is a lot of siloed thinking happening on this subject. I’ve been working since last year to get WHO, UNDP, and other relevant agencies (i.e., those with development goals connected to education and research) involved in UNESCO’s process---email channels are open anyway, so at least they’re aware of UNESCO’s work. I’ve also been working---without success so far (but I’m not giving up)---to generate interest in a “virtual mini-roundtable” of US agencies so they can compare notes on goals, direction, progress, etc. If researchers and institutions everywhere (not just in the US) can align behind broad and inclusive goals for open research, and also align with UN policy, imagine what kind of tsunami that could unleash in terms of investment focus, infrastructure development, policy rollout, etc.

So, that’s the “roadmap” I’m talking about Joyce---happy to answer any questions.