New OA discovery tool

Glenn Hampson

Apr 24, 2018, 12:08:37 PM4/24/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Everyone,

Our friends at 1Science have just released an important and innovative open access discovery tool. The press release from 1Science President Eric Archambault is pasted below. First, here’s a summary from Brooke Struck:

Today, 1science announced the the official launch of 1findr, its platform for research discovery and analytics. Indexing 90 million articles—of which 27 million are available in OA—it represents the largest curated collection worldwide of scholarly research. The platform aims to include all articles published in peer-reviewed journals, in all fields of research, in all languages and from every country.

Here are a few resources if you’re interested in learning more:

·        Access 1findr platform: www.1findr.com

·        Visit the 1findr website: www.1science.com/1findr

·        Send in your questions: 1fi...@1science.com

·        See the press release: www.1science.com/1findr-public-launch

A picture containing clipart

Description generated with very high confidence

1SCIENCE LAUNCHES 1FINDR, THE WORLD’S LARGEST CURATED COLLECTION OF PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES

90 million articles discoverable using 1findr free and institutional editions

Montreal, Canada, April 24, 2018 – 1science today announced the general availability of its innovative analytics and discovery platform 1findr. From the get-go, 1findr has aimed to include all articles published in peer-reviewed journals, in all fields of research, in all languages and from every country. With both the free and the institutional editions offering twice as many open access articles as the leading competitor, 1findr is a giant leap in convenience, affordability and accessibility.

The free edition of 1findr takes on uncurated data sources such as Google Scholar, while the institutional edition cost-effectively replaces numerous specialized abstracting and indexing databases. “Uncurated data is error prone, and silos are dead. Thousands of publishers and millions of researchers worldwide want more thoughtfully built and more inclusive analytic and discovery tools,” says Dr. Eric Archambault, President and CEO of 1science Inc. and Science-Metrix Inc.

Archambault adds: “For the last fifty years we narrowly accessed and measured scientific knowledge with tools that were largely biased towards Western countries. Users in academia, charities, government and corporations want a more convenient, powerful and affordable way to access and measure the peer-reviewed research conducted globally.”

Both the free and the institutional editions comprise an initial curated collection of 90 million records. 1findr uses the systematic one-click download of open access articles pioneered by 1science in 2015: “1findr enables everyone to legally access 27 million green and gold open access articles harvested by 1science from thousands of renowned organizational sources and repositories such as arXiv, DOAJ and SciELO.”

The institutional edition offers a rapidly growing set of features that will appeal to both entry-level and power users, including organization search and single-click multiple downloads for up to 50 full-text articles. 1findr will soon offer even more immersive searching, driven by expertly designed citation metrics and journal impact statistics. Users can expect other types of carefully curated content to become tightly integrated in 1findr in the future.

1findr is here to help users work faster and more intelligently while radically expanding the breadth and depth of the peer-reviewed literature conveniently made available by librarians to their patrons.

Access 1findr http://1findr.com

Visit our website 1science.com/1findr

Send us your questions 1fi...@1science.com

About 1science: We started 1science because we believe that there should be easier, more accurate and more cost-effective ways to make use of the peer-reviewed research literature. Our products are for strategic planners and policymakers who need rigorously produced information, for librarians helping their patrons, for researchers who produce and rely on scientific knowledge, and for students who need to find facts fast for their term papers.

Contact Information:

Eric Archambault, Ph.D.
President and CEO, 1science Inc.
eric.arc...@1science.com
+1.514.518.0823
https://1science.com
#weare1science

Congratulations to 1Science on this achievement!

Sincerely,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

osi-logo-2016-25-mail

2320 N 137th Street | Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 417-3607 | gham...@nationalscience.org | nationalscience.org

image003.jpg
image004.jpg

David Wojick

Apr 24, 2018, 2:09:15 PM4/24/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
It appears not to be doing full text search, which is a significant limitation. I did a search on "chaotic" for 2018 and got 527 hits. Almost all had the term in the title and almost all of the remainder had it in the abstract. Normally with full text, those with the term only in the text are many times more than those with it in title, often orders of magnitude more.

But the scope is impressive, as is the ability to filter for OA.

David

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

Toby....@oecd.org

Apr 24, 2018, 2:26:35 PM4/24/18
to gham...@nationalscience.org, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to rain on their parade, but just looked for the OECD’s flagship series, OECD Economic Outlook. We have every issue from 1967 online. 1Findr has three records, from 1999, 2000 and 1998 and just the English version, missing the French and German, and no links to any actual content. So much for their claim to have carefully curated their coverage . . . If anyone at 1Science is reading this, do get in touch so we can feed your system accurately via our content management database.

Toby Green
Public Affairs and Communications Directorate
OECD

On 24 Apr 2018, at 18:08, Glenn Hampson <gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

[...]

<image004.jpg>

<image003.jpg>