Plan S article in Physics Today

T Scott Plutchak

Oct 16, 2018, 6:19:06 PM10/16/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
Very good article in Physics Today occasioned by Smits’s visit to the US to stump for Plan S.  I was particularly interested in the speculations about the possibility of OSTP making changes to their public access mandates.  https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.2.20181011a/full/

Scott

Glenn Hampson

Oct 16, 2018, 7:21:58 PM10/16/18
to T Scott Plutchak, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Wow. One wonders how the Trump Administration might view this issue. Depending on how much pull his science officers have, Plan S might be an easy sell. Too cynical?

Pro (adopt Plan S)

Con (don’t adopt Plan S)

Indifferent (who cares?)

If it overturns an Obama-era policy, it must be good

Big businesses are opposed

Lower resource areas of the world will be negatively affected

It removes “secrecy” in science by making more information public---a recurring theme

This requires cooperation with Europe---the US doesn’t do cooperation

Government agencies have their own carefully-crafted plans in place

It streamlines rules (by making all research follow the same publishing requirements)

Researchers don’t like it (but they’re all Democrats, so great!)

Science may be hurt (but it’s all fake anyway)

--
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---

JJE Esposito

Oct 16, 2018, 8:03:50 PM10/16/18
to Glenn Hampson, T Scott Plutchak, The Open Scholarship Initiative
No one knows how this will play out, and predicting the path of the mind of our esteemed leader is a task far beyond me, but I would imagine that someone will have the wit to tell his advisors that the U.S. is a huge exporter of research. Why make it free? this argument goes. A similar argument was raised in the UK some years ago, and had limited effect for a period of time.

On the other hand, if there were a case that Plan S would hurt or annoy the academy, the outcome would be inevitable. The fact is that Elsevier and Springer are not the institutions that turn the heads of young Americans away from guns, motherhood, and apple pie.

Joe Esposito
--
Joseph J. Esposito
espo...@gmail.com

David Wojick

Oct 17, 2018, 8:46:09 AM10/17/18
to T Scott Plutchak, The Open Scholarship Initiative
The OSTP meeting was just a program review at this point, hence the confusion. Public Access is by far the biggest thing that OSTP has ever done.

OSI might consider developing some proposals. For example, I have long argued for government wide integration of the agency repositories, to facilitate analysis and assessment. Many research topics cut across multiple agencies because the government is organized by mission, not by science. Being able to easily find everything funded on a given topic facilitates the dissemination goal of OA.

As for OSTP opting for Plan S, that is highly unlikely but not impossible. Most agencies probably consider their Public Access repository chores an unfunded nuisance. Plan S does away with Public Access in its present green form.

David

On Oct 16, 2018, at 6:19 PM, T Scott Plutchak <splu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Very good article in Physics Today occasioned by Smits’s visit to the US to stump for Plan S.  I was particularly interested in the speculations about the possibility of OSTP making changes to their public access mandates.  https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.2.20181011a/full/

Scott

David Wojick

Oct 17, 2018, 10:36:41 AM10/17/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
OSI can attack the Republicans if it so chooses, but there are obvious downsides to this policy position.

David

Glenn Hampson

Oct 17, 2018, 12:00:29 PM10/17/18
to David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

This isn’t anti-Republican David (whatever this means---the Republican brand, which I burnished as a younger man, is almost unrecognizable compared to 25 years ago)---just assorted quotes from President Trump. As with climate change policy, the wild card here may be how much President Trump cares about this issue. If the answer is not much, then maybe normal policymaking rules will apply.

Michael Eisen

Oct 17, 2018, 12:02:30 PM10/17/18
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I’m as left-wing as they come, but it’s important to point out that in US many of best open access/open science moves have some from Republicans, starting with Ernie Istook and the NIH Public Access policy.
Michael Eisen, Ph.D.
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor of Genetics, Genomics and Development
University of California, Berkeley

Glenn Hampson

Oct 17, 2018, 12:20:54 PM10/17/18
to mbe...@gmail.com, David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Yep---and modern NIH funding has fared better under Republican administrations as well. This definitely isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a partisan effort---unless one party has genuinely transformed into an aggressively anti-science party (and it’s hard to tell how much of this is bluster playing to the base or actual policy threat because until recently at least, when push comes to shove, moderate policies have still been the norm).

David Wojick

Oct 17, 2018, 2:16:06 PM10/17/18
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Glenn,

Your chart jibes are clearly anti-Administration (not just anti-Trump) but they are also commonly used against certain Members of Congress, the House Science committee, etc. No matter what your historical feelings, these are the Republicans in power. If they saw this chart OSI would be dead to them.

Heather has managed to keep OA relatively non-political, hence her invitation to the OSTP meeting. If OSI would rather present itself as an anti-Republican political group, which this chart certainly does, there may be advantages to that strategy. For example, the Democrats may win one or both Houses next month.

I take no position here, but I wanted to point out what you are doing strategically.

As for the wild card, I think OA is far too small an issue for anyone on Whitehouse staff to even hear about, certainly not the President. OSTP is about as far up as it is likely to get. If they tried Plan S that might change because it might hit the Universities financially, given potential annual APCs in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

David

At 12:00 PM 10/17/2018, Glenn Hampson wrote:
This isn’t anti-Republican David (whatever this means---the Republican brand, which I burnished as a younger man, is almost unrecognizable compared to 25 years ago)---just assorted quotes from President Trump. As with climate change policy, the wild card here may be how much President Trump cares about this issue. If the answer is not much, then maybe normal policymaking rules will apply.

Oct 17, 2018, 2:37:31 PM10/17/18
to David Wojick, The Open Scholarship Initiative

David----SPARC has been at this fight for a lot longer and much more prominent than OSI, hence their invitation. They are good spokespersons for the cause of open and we wish them well. However, their idea of open is very singular and because of this, SPARC has been far from non-polarizing---maybe apolitical, but certainly not centrist. OSI is much more centrist in this conversation, which is irritating to people with deeply-engrained beliefs on both ends of the spectrum (including SPARC). This is why UNESCO is working with OSI---to hear from a wide variety of stakeholder groups and try to come up with solutions that work for everyone everywhere. If we can get an invite to speak with OSTP as well, great---I’ll ask around (some of our colleagues on this list are from OSTP).

Joyce Ogburn

Oct 17, 2018, 2:50:09 PM10/17/18
to Glenn Hampson, David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com
Can we take a step back and not engage this way? I would encourage us to leave politically slanted statements out of the discussions - its a dangerous path.

Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Professor, Digital Strategies and Partnerships Librarian
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026
@libjoyce

Lifelong learning requires lifelong access

David Wojick

Oct 17, 2018, 3:14:32 PM10/17/18
to Joyce Ogburn, osi20...@googlegroups.com
I agree, Joyce. That is why I flagged Glenn's chart. It is politically incendiary.

Davi

At 02:49 PM 10/17/2018, Joyce Ogburn wrote:
Can we take a step back and not engage this way? I would encourage us to leave politically slanted statements out of the discussions - its a dangerous path.

Joyce

Joyce L. Ogburn
Professor, Digital Strategies and Partnerships Librarian
Appalachian State University
218 College Street
Boone NC 28608-2026
@libjoyce

Lifelong learning requires lifelong accessÂ

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 2:37 PM Glenn Hampson < gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

[...]

This isn̢۪t anti-Repubpublican David (whatever this means---the Republican brand, which I burnished as a younger man, is almost unrecognizable compared to 25 years ago)---just assorted quotes from President Trump. As with climate change policy, the wild card here may be how much President Trump cares about this issue. If the answer is not much, then maybe normal policymaking rules will apply.
OSI can attack the Republicans if it so chooses, but there are obvious downsides to this policy position.
David

On Oct 16, 2018, at 7:21 PM, Glenn Hampson < gham...@nationalscience.org> wrote:

Wow. One wonders how the Trump Administration might view this issue. Depending on how much pull his science officers have, Plan S might be an easy sell. Too cynical?

Pro (adopt Plan S)

Con (don̢۪t adopt Plan S)

Indifferent (who cares?)

If it overturns an Obama-era policy, it must be good

Big businesses are opposed

Lower resource areas of the world will be negatively affected

It removes “s“secrecy†in science by making more information public---a recuurring theme

This requires cooperation with Europe---the US doesnâ€ââ„¢t do cooperation

Government agencies have their own carefully-crafted plans in place

It streamlines rules (by making all research follow the same publishing requirements)

Researchers don’t like it (but theyâ€Ã¢â‚¬™re all Democrats, so great!)

Science may be hurt (but itâ€ââ„¢s all fake anyway)

Oct 17, 2018, 3:26:15 PM10/17/18
to Joyce Ogburn, David Wojick, osi20...@googlegroups.com

I’m sorry David if my shorthand here seemed anti-Republican. I’m not a fan of the party leadership’s philosophical bent (and it shows), but I am a big fan of working across the aisle. I agree that off-the-cuff remarks don’t serve us well.

I also agree with your general sense that policy inroads are important. We don’t have a government affairs arm, as do most groups working to inform policy decisions. If you want to help do this work for OSI, we’d be much obliged---maybe there are other policy wonks amongst us who can also help.

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director