UNESCO webinar tomorrow

Glenn Hampson

Sep 29, 2020, 11:39:36 AM9/29/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hi Folks,

Bhanu asked me to send around a reminder about tomorrow’s UNESCO webinar, "Open Access an imperative for Open Science for Building Resilience in the Face of COVID-19.” To register, go to  https://bit.ly/3i7Eohi.

This event will run from 10:30 a.m. to noon, New York time. The final 30 minutes will be devoted to audience Q&A. The outcome of this webinar will contribute to the drafting of UNESCO’s open science policy recommendation.

I’ll send you presenter slides (or a link to these slides, including my deck) after the event, but a sneak preview is that Jean-Claude will emphasize the moral-ethical foundation for open, Rob Terry (WHO) will emphasize the potential of Plan S to help improve access to medical research, and I will emphasize the big picture of how open solutions are just one part of the equation (an important part on which there is much common ground, but these solutions alone won’t cure all that ails research---we also need to focus on connected issues like peer review, impact factors, the culture of communication in academia, repository integration, etc.)

Here’s the presenter list (in the order presenting):

  • Jean-Claude Guédon, Université de Montréal, Canada;   (MODERATOR)
  • Rob Terry, Senior strategic and project manager, Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, WHO;
  • Samia Charfi Kaddour, Rapporteur of the Committee, Director-General, Scientific Research, Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Tunisia;
  • Abel L. Packer, Foundation of the Federal University of São Paulo. Director of the SciELO / Program. Project Coordinator;
  • Johan Rooryck, Plan S. Director Coalition S Leiden University, Center of Linguistics (LUCL), Leiden University;
  • Arianna Becerril García, AmeliCA.  Executive Director, Redalyc, Network of Scholarly Journals from Latin America, the Caribbean, Spain and Portugal;
  • Glenn Hampson, Executive Director, Science Communication Institute (SCI), Program Director, Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI).

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

image003.jpg

Jo De

Sep 29, 2020, 12:08:24 PM9/29/20
to Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Thanks for the reminder, Glenn! Registered just now and will catch up with you tomorrow. Joann

--

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.

---

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/009401d69676%24baaebf10%24300c3d30%24%40nationalscience.org.

Bryan Alexander

Sep 29, 2020, 2:04:44 PM9/29/20
to Jo De, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Thank you, Glenn.  Looking forward to as much of it as I can claw free time to make.

anthony.watkinson

Sep 29, 2020, 5:56:20 PM9/29/20
to Bryan Alexander, Jo De, Glenn Hampson, The Open Scholarship Initiative
I have also registered but not yet sure whether other commitments will allow time to actually attend

Anthony

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.
As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/osi2016-25/CAJNuR2hJ3-TH39P%3DdH0Xzwbnx0H6SSLZSn%3DdxasKD2RxUVcx6g%40mail.gmail.com.

ric...@gedye.plus.com

Oct 19, 2020, 8:18:54 PM10/19/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative

The First draft of the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science has now been published.

https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/en-unesco_osr_first_draft.pdf

Also available in French.

https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/fr-unesco_osr_first_draft.pdf

Richard

--

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The Open Scholarship Initiative" group.

image001.jpg

Glenn Hampson

Oct 19, 2020, 11:44:19 PM10/19/20
to ric...@gedye.plus.com, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Yes---thanks Richard. UNESCO will be soliciting feedback and comments on this document until the end of the year. You will note a lot of OSI sentiments in this document, and as well as ideas that many of the experts in this group might disagree with. I’ll be compiling some feedback for Ana and Bhanu---your ideas are most welcome.

Best,

Glenn

image001.jpg

Wagner, Dr Caroline Wagner

Oct 28, 2020, 4:05:03 PM10/28/20
to Glenn Hampson, ric...@gedye.plus.com, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Dear Glenn,
Thank you for all you did towards the UNESCO-WHO call for open science! Wonderful work.

Caroline S. Wagner
Milton & Roslyn Wolf Chair in International Affairs
John Glenn School of Public Affairs
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio USA 43210

Oct 29, 2020, 12:36:24 PM10/29/20
to The Open Scholarship Initiative
congratulations to all who have worked on this international effort.   I know for some of you progress seems slow but I am amazed at how quickly a significant cultural change is occurring.   Best, SUSAN