Another alternative funding scheme

Wagner, Caroline S.

Jul 27, 2017, 5:17:14 PM7/27/17
to Barrett, Kim, Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, Schultz, Jack C., susan, The Open Scholarship Initiative, dnn...@gmail.com, lau...@gigasciencejournal.com, cb...@empeerial.com, anthony....@btinternet.com

With this new system, scientists never have to write a grant application again

By Jop de VriezeApr. 13, 2017 , 3:00 PM

AMSTERDAM—Almost every scientist agrees: Applying for research funding is a drag. Writing a good proposal can take months, and the chances of getting funded are often slim. Funding agencies, meanwhile, spend more and more time and money reviewing growing stacks of applications.

That’s why two researchers are proposing a radically different system that would do away with applications and reviews; instead scientists would just give each other money. “Self-organized fund allocation” (SOFA), as it’s called, was developed by computer scientist Johan Bollen at Indiana University in Bloomington. When he first published about the idea in 2014, many people were skeptical. But interest appears to be growing, and thanks to the work of an enthusiastic advocate, ecologist Marten Scheffer of Wageningen University in the Netherlands, the Dutch parliament adopted a motion last year asking the country’s main funding agency, the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), to set up a SOFA pilot project.

Competition for funding has become too intense, especially for young scientists, Scheffer and Bollen say, and the current peer-review system is inefficient. It’s also unfair, they argue, because a few scientists get lots of grants—Scheffer is one of them—whereas many others get few or nothing. But when Scheffer explained his idea at an NWO workshop about “application pressure” here last week, the agency didn’t appear sold yet.

The duo says the numbers speak for themselves. At the U.S. National Institutes of Health, the overall success rate for grants applications has dropped from 30% in 2003 to 19.1% in 2016. In the latest round of European Research Council Starting Grants, the rate was a paltry 11.3%. At NWO, the success rate for grants for young scientists has dropped to 14%. A 2013 study estimated that writing and reviewing applications for €40 million worth of these grants costs €9.5 million annually.

In Bollen’s system, scientists no longer have to apply; instead, they all receive an equal share of the funding budget annually—some €30,000 in the Netherlands, and $100,000 in the United States—but they have to donate a fixed percentage to other scientists whose work they respect and find important. “Our system is not based on committees’ judgments, but on the wisdom of the crowd,” Scheffer told the meeting.

Bollen and his colleagues have tested their idea in computer simulations. If scientists allocated 50% of their money to colleagues they cite in their papers, research funds would roughly be distributed the way funding agencies currently do, they showed in a paper last year—but at much lower overhead costs.

Not everybody is convinced. At the meeting, some worried that scientists might give money mostly to their friends. Scheffer said an algorithm would prevent that, for instance by banning donations to people you have published with, but he acknowledged it would be a challenge in small research communities. SOFA might also result in a mismatch between what scientists need and what their colleagues donate, and a competition for donations could lead to a time-consuming and costly circus, comparable to an election campaign.

The way to find out, Scheffer and Bollen say, is a real-world test, and they say the Netherlands, a small country with short lines of communication between scientists, politicians, and funding agencies, is a good place for one. Last year, Scheffer convinced Eppo Bruins, a member of the Dutch House of Representatives, to submit a motion calling for a pilot program at NWO, which the parliament approved in June 2016. The money could be taken from a €150 million NWO pot currently distributed among consortia of innovative Dutch scientists, Bruins suggested.

But NWO is not obliged to carry out the proposal, and so far has shown little enthusiasm. “NWO is willing to explore together with scientists and other stakeholders how to improve allocation rates, but is still considering practicality and support” for SOFA, a spokesperson tells ScienceInsider. At last week’s meeting, NWO President Stan Gielen said the funds Bruins has in mind are distributed by NWO but are earmarked by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science, which would have to give permission. Gielen added that any experiment should not come at the expense of existing funding.

Scheffer says he’s not giving up. It’s not a risky experiment, he says: “The money would not be wasted, after all, but just be given to other scientists.”

Science Magazine

From: <osi20...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of "Schultz, Jack C." <schu...@missouri.edu>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:06 AM
To: susan <su...@jsmf.org>, The Open Scholarship Initiative <osi20...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "dnn...@gmail.com" <dnn...@gmail.com>, "lau...@gigasciencejournal.com" <lau...@gigasciencejournal.com>, "kbar...@ucsd.edu" <kbar...@ucsd.edu>, "cb...@empeerial.com" <cb...@empeerial.com>, Anthony Watkinson <anthony....@btinternet.com>

Collaboration is an essential and widely-accepted aspect of modern science. Tough questions just can’t be addressed by solo investigators. That includes data-sharing by prior agreement.  Reanalyzing publicly-accessible data without prior agreement is not collaboration.

  JACK

Jack C. Schultz

jackcs...@gmail.com

@jackcschultz

https://schultzappel.wordpress.com

From: <osi20...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of susan <su...@jsmf.org>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:59 AM
To: The Open Scholarship Initiative <osi20...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "dnn...@gmail.com" <dnn...@gmail.com>, "lau...@gigasciencejournal.com" <lau...@gigasciencejournal.com>, "kbar...@ucsd.edu" <kbar...@ucsd.edu>, "cb...@empeerial.com" <cb...@empeerial.com>, "anthony....@btinternet.com" <anthony....@btinternet.com>

As someone who trained as a biochemist/biophysicist and has kept touch with active researchers in these fields over the past 30 years it is clear there has always been an  active, ongoing tension between competition and cooperation.   Labs could be very open about sharing reagents, tools, findings - even training individuals from other labs on techniques.  In the "old days" data sharing was perhaps not so much a part of the collective spirit as unpublished data was typically thought of as something internal to the lab - BUT - unpublished findings were shared.     Wearing my current hat as a funder of research - and typically skewed early career - I am seeing a spirit of openness - particularly about data.   We just had a grant call for early career developmental scientists (mostly studying young children) and all were perfectly fine with our open requirements - including depositing video of the experimental set up in a open access repository among other requirements.      Our grants are international and I have not (anecdotally) seen a big difference in the fields we support concerning openness among early career scientists in various countries.    One exception might be open access publications - in some countries, particularly those in Latin America, our experience indicates widespread belief that all publications should be fully accessible.    Of course - any "socio-cultural" issues are very field/discipline dependent and very dependent on local conditions.   Those early career scientists whose futures are most tenuous might think and behave quite differently from those for whom the world is their oyster.    For any scholarship on these kinds of issues I suspect the grain size of analysis is critical.

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:36:04 AM UTC-5, anthony.watkinson wrote:

sorry to bore on about the research I am immersed in but I have been struck by the collaborative spirit of the early career researchers in the U.K. and the U.S. whom I have interviewed - they talk a lot about their research with their colleagues and seek help on techniques etc - and on the whole they are also positive about their mentoring by advisers, PIs and supervisors. They really do believe in OPEN and SHARING. OK they do not publish OA usually and they often do not share their data because such behaviours get in the way of getting into the top journals BUT they are very aware of the lack of consistency in what they do and they blame it on the current system

Jo - may is send your email round my colleagues in China, France and Spain and maybe others. The attitudes and experiences in their countries may be different. I will not attribute? I shall report back

Anthony

Jul 27, 2017, 5:46:00 PM7/27/17
to Wagner, Caroline S., Barrett, Kim, Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, susan, The Open Scholarship Initiative, dnn...@gmail.com, lau...@gigasciencejournal.com, cb...@empeerial.com, anthony....@btinternet.com
This conversation group should really appreciate the fact that the publications referenced below are behind paywalls.

I don’t see how this can work. Among other things, there are so many potentially eligible scientists in the US that existing funding would provide a minuscule amount to each individual. (BTW who WOULD be eligible? Tenure-track faculty? Postdocs? Industry?) In fact, a STEM research program cannot be run on the hypothesized $100K/yr. One positive might be that this would force the formation of collaborative coalitions.

Countries (e.g., Canada) that have tried distributing grant money equally have inevitably found that it doesn’t produce top notch results.  It may seem sad, but human nature dictates that winning is a personal motivator that leads to excellence. You can’t be ‘fair’ and excellent at the same time.

Successful scientists master the proposal writing exercise and don’t spend months on one. It’s a critical professional skill. Some of us even enjoy it.

  JACK

Follow us on Twitter@GigaScience; Find us at FaceBook; ReadGigaBlog; Sign up forArticle Alerts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barrett, Kim

Susan Fitzpatrick

Jul 27, 2017, 5:58:04 PM7/27/17
to Barrett, Kim, Wagner, Caroline S., Glenn Hampson, Rick Anderson, Schultz, Jack C., The Open Scholarship Initiative, dnn...@gmail.com, lau...@gigasciencejournal.com, cb...@empeerial.com, anthony....@btinternet.com

Agreed.   Not that we should not consider the merits or not of different kinds of systems – but we first need to be clear on what it is that the funding system is attempting to do…

And sadly – I do wish that funders would run some small scale experiments – although my own experience reinforces how difficult this is because whatever you do remains imbedded in the dominant system.    I typically see a vast mismatch between the idealistic rhetoric funders use and the operations – typically the first thing a funder does is seek a “blue ribbon” panel comprised of the same people who have been running the uber-system for decades.    And the first stuff that gets funded is the same old same old.   It is remarkable to me how little we each seem to understand of the others worlds.

Susan M. Fitzpatrick, Ph.D.

President, James S. McDonnell Foundation

Visit JSMF forum on academic issues: www.jsmf.org/clothing-the-emperor

SMF blog  www.scientificphilanthropy.com

Fiore, Steve

Aug 13, 2018, 10:47:12 PM8/13/18
to The Open Scholarship Initiative, SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov

Hi Everyone - Here is an editorial just published in Nature that is related to something we discussed on the OSI list last year.  I'm including NSF's SciSIP list in this email, though, because the scheme is quite radical. More importantly, some of the numbers in this editorial are striking. For example, the author cites one study that found that "the European University Association in 2016 estimated that the equivalent of at least one-quarter of Europe’s Horizon 2020 funding programme goes to preparing grant applications".  Another showed that "Australian scientists collectively spent more than five centuries of time preparing 3,727 proposals in 2012."

Cheers,

Steve

Who would you share your funding with?
I want to see whether the wisdom of crowds does a better job than conventional grant review at supporting research, says Johan Bollen.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05887-3

--------

Stephen M. Fiore, Ph.D.

Professor, Cognitive Sciences, Department of Philosophy

Director, Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, Institute for Simulation & Training (http://csl.ist.ucf.edu/)

University of Central Florida

sfi...@ist.ucf.edu

Aug 14, 2018, 12:07:40 PM8/14/18
to susan, The Open Scholarship Initiative, SCI...@listserv.nsf.gov

Forwarding Susan’s reply (below---it went to OSI only) and adding my own 2 cents.

I’m not an expert in the area of research funding so apologies if this seems a bit tangential, but what about F&A charges? It seems to me anyway that this can be a very effective way of redistributing wealth. At the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center here in Seattle---which for many years has received more NIH funding than any other independent research institution in the country---the F&A charge on federal money can be very high (north of 70%). The logic is that these charges support the true total cost of research---e.g., experts and equipment that no single project or lab could supply on its own---which saves money, drives team science, and accelerates the translation of research into cures.

Does the effective application of F&A get us closer to this vision, Steve?

Best,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director
Science Communication Institute (SCI)
Program Director
Open Scholarship Initiative (OSI)

OSI-logo-email-sm2

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/osi2016-25.

As a public and publicly-funded effort, the conversations on this list can be viewed by the public and are archived. To read this group's complete listserv policy (including disclaimer and reuse information), please visit http://osinitiative.org/osi-listservs.
---
[...]

image002.jpg