RE: Bundling

Manfredi La Manna

Oct 14, 2019, 4:26:19 PM10/14/19
to Mel DeSart, Glenn Hampson, Bryan Alexander, The Open Scholarship Initiative

Hello there. I am new to this list and hence very hesitant to suggest a reference to such a well informed set of people. As an economist I am obviously biased in favour of a colleague of the stature of Ted Bergstrom, but I think that his piece in the PNAS (Bergstrom et al. “Evaluating big deal journal bundles”, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(26), 16 June 2014, https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/111/26/9425.full.pdf is very informative. In a nutshell, bundling (as in “The Big Bundle”) is a very informative signal for imperfect competition and (some) commercial publishers exploit this pricing policy in a textbook manner, charging different prices to different customers, etc.

Just a thought …

Kind regards,

Manfredi La Manna

cid:image001.png@01D1C888.D454F4E0

Dr Manfredi M.A. La Manna

Reader in Economics

School of Economics and Finance

Castlecliffe

The Scores

St Andrews KY16 9AR

+44 (0)1334 46 2434

Oct 14, 2019, 5:36:31 PM10/14/19
to Manfredi La Manna, Mel DeSart, Glenn Hampson, Bryan Alexander, The Open Scholarship Initiative
Um, no. The pricing of many large packages are historical. They are based on historical spending. If a publisher had a $50,000 contract with a library for 500 journals prior to a "big deal" being introduced, the Big Deal might add 1,000 journals for an additional charge of 15%, or $7,500. Another library may have had a $100,000 contract for 800 journals, and the Big Deal then added hundreds more, for an additional 15%. Over time the difference from library to library grows. I am not defending this pricing structure (I have no dog in this hunt), but it's wrong to call this discriminatory pricing. Different publishers introduced different programs. There is no one explanation for pricing and no "system" or standard.

Joe Esposito

--
Joseph J. Esposito
espo...@gmail.com