EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - May 7, 2020

Emerald

May 7, 2020, 8:14:08 AM5/7/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Record Ozone Hole Over the Arctic Has Closed

Germany Exceeds 50% Renewable Energy Use Milestone

Media Coverage of Climate Change Increased in 2019
LOCAL REPORTS
Federal funds help Sonoma County airport fast-track $30 million terminal expansion project
If you want to get involved in opposing this airport expansion contact: StopAirportExpansionSC@gmail.com.

Dry season with summer fast approaching renews drought threat in Sonoma County

Santa Rosa, Sonoma County poised to get $300 million in PG&E settlement

FOSSIL FUELS
U of G to Divest from Fossil Fuels
"The University of Guelph’s Board of Governors today voted to divest from fossil fuel companies in its endowment portfolio. U of G is among the first universities in Canada to make such a commitment."

"Husky Energy lost $1.7 billion Canadian in the first quarter of 2020 as oil prices hit extreme lows."

PIPELINES
Enbridge Running Mainline with Unused Space as Canada Cuts Oil Output

The MPCA needs to listen to Minnesotans, not just multinational corporations

US delays oil pipeline approvals after environmental ruling

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Scientists Discover Highest Concentration of Deep-Sea Microplastics to Date

Cleaner Air in Europe Has Resulted in 11,000 Fewer Deaths, New Study Says

Don’t believe the headlines: We can still choose to refuse single-use plastic

GREEN NEW DEAL
Kenney rejects idea of Alberta speaking to Green New Deal advocates after oil prices drop
https://globalnews.ca/news/6867603/jason-kenney-alberta-oil-prices-green-new-deal-pandemic/

WAKE UP CALL
The World Is 'Way off Track' in Dealing With Climate Crisis, Says UN Head

Amazon deforestation soars as 'illegal loggers exploit coronavirus lockdown'

Antarctica Experiences First Known Heat Wave

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
German Business Leaders Call for Climate Action With COVID-19 Stimulus

How Norway Convinced Drivers to Switch to Electric Cars
"The adoption of all-electric and plug-in hybrids has been steadily creeping up over the last decade, yet electric cars make up only about 2% of new car sales in the U.S. Compare that to the situation in Norway, the world's unofficial leader in EV driving, where more than 40% of new cars sold are now electric and thousands of drivers are on waiting lists for the latest models."

4 Climate Crisis Solutions No One Is Talking About

Don’t Let Larry Summers Block Climate Progress Again

Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' Documentary Attacks Climate Solutions

Climate experts call for 'dangerous' Michael Moore film to be taken down

Once again Michael Moore stirs the environmental pot – but conservationists turn up the heat on him

Organizing on the Coasts Won’t Save the Planet

DIRECT ACTIONS
‘Fossil Fuel Companies Knew’: Honolulu Files Lawsuit Over Climate Impacts

Emma Thompson stars in new short film about Extinction Rebellion, released online on 1st May

Landlord LA Archdiocese of little help in neighborhood's long fight to close toxic oil wells for good
"An oil drilling facility in a south-central Los Angeles neighborhood is on the verge of being permanently shut down, potentially representing a long-sought victory for residents but one with virtually no assistance from the local archdiocese, which owns and leases the land."

A Quaker climate striker talks campaigning through lockdown

In Montana, Children File Suit to Protect ‘the Last Best Place’

NYC Looks at Shaming Fossil Fuel Financiers

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Compost 101: The Basics

Slashing U.S. Meat Consumption by Half Could Cut Diet-Related Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 35%, Study Finds

A New Vision for Farming: Chickens, Sheep, and ... Solar Panels

What’s the Difference Between a Plant-Based and Vegan Diet?
https://www.ecowatch.com/plant-based-vs-vegan-diet-2645486232.html?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

CATCHING UP
Coronavirus Delays COP26

Oil Refineries Face Shutdowns as Demand Collapses

5 of the Most Important Earth Days in Its 50-Year History

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.