EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - November 19, 2020

1 view

Emerald

Nov 19, 2020, 6:38:12 AM11/19/20
to Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
Michigan Governor Moves to Prevent Great Lakes Oil Spill by Shutting Down Aging Pipeline

Arsenal joins with UN to tackle climate change
"We're delighted to reinforce our commitment to tackling climate change by becoming the first Premier League club to sign up to the UN Sports for Climate Action Framework. "

LOCAL REPORTS
Sonoma County airport’s $31 million terminal expansion project begins
To join local activists who are actively opposed to airport expansion contact Stop Airport Expansion (SAE) at StopAirport...@gmail.com.  This group is affiliated with 350 Sonoma and CONGAS.

Public Banking Act Gives Us A Proven Model to Address Unprecedented Crises

Rush is on in Sonoma County to protect burned watersheds ahead of winter rains

Geysers operator pays state $2.1 million to settle alleged fire system violations

Barge overtaken by king tide leaks fluids into Petaluma River

Extent of sudden oak death spread in California unexpected in dry year

What's Next For Incarcerated Firefighters in California?

Santa Rosa takes tentative step toward electric scooter system

Lower Russian River to get first big regional park near Monte Rio

How Santa Rosa residents want to spend the $95 million from PG&E wildfire settlement
"Better vegetation management topped Santa Rosa residents’ wish list after thousands answered the city’s call for help deciding how to spend the $95 million wildfire settlement paid out by PG&E. In addition to vegetation management, improving resilience by adding generators and microgrids ranked high with survey respondents, as did building better evacuation routes and increasing the community’s wildfire preparedness through education. Overall, jump-starting affordable housing projects with incentives, repairing roads outside the fire zone and building new parks or fields were among the lowest priorities for respondents."

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
Exposure to Common Herbicide Potentially Harms Endangered Species

U.S. Military Responsible for Widespread PFAS Pollution in Japan

FOSSIL FUELS
Living Near Drilling Is Deadly. Why Don’t California Lawmakers Care? (video)https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000007452219/california-oil-drilling-legislation.html

To protect public health and fight environmental racism, LA City Council must end oil drilling in our neighborhoods

Big Oil Splutters — How Will It Survive the Energy Transition?
"In the first nine months of this year, Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, BP and Total made a total loss of $36.4 billion (€30.6 billion), compared with last year's $50 billion in profit. As investors took flight, the oil majors were forced to slash costs... Already facing pressure to lead the energy transition and help the world ween itself off its fossil fuel addiction, oil giants have vowed to exploit the crisis to speed up investments in renewable energies."

PIPELINES
Land Back & The Leading Youth: Cherri Foytlin (audio)

Indigenous and Climate Leaders Outraged Over Minnesota Permits for Line 3 Pipeline

GREEN NEW DEAL
These freshman House Republicans might actually care about climate change

Chris Hedges: American Requiem
Warning: some adult images

WAKE UP CALL
Global warming bigger threat than coronavirus: Red Cross
"The world should react with the same urgency to climate change as is to the coronavirus crisis, the Red Cross says."

The Climate Movement Must Be Ready To Challenge Rising Right-Wing Environmentalism

Indigenous Communities on the Frontline as Two Climate Change-Fueled Hurricanes Slam Central America

Humans May Have Passed the 'Point of No Return' in Climate Crisis, Says Study—But That Doesn't Mean All Hope Is Lost
"The crisis "simply will not stop from cutting manmade greenhouse gases," Jørgen Randers, one of the study's two lead authors, told Future Human. Humanity, stressed Randers, "should accelerate its effort to cut greenhouse gas emissions... and start developing the technologies for large-scale removal of greenhouse gases from the atmosphere."

Are We Really Past the Point of No Return on Climate? Scientists Respond To Controversial New Study

Study: Climate Change Makes Hurricanes Stay Stronger, Longer

The Capitalist System is as Unprepared for Climate Change as it is for Covid-19

Biden EPA Transition Team Member Helped DuPont Dodge Responsibility for PFOA

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
Top 10 things you can do about climate change
by David Sukuki

ICE Horrors, Climate Crisis & Endless War Show Need for Mass Movement
Warning: may contain some adult language

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Energy-Efficient Homes Better Withstand Power Outages
"During a winter blackout in New York City, the temperature inside a typical single-family house would drop to 35 degrees Fahrenheit after just three days. But a high-efficiency house would stay above 60 degrees. An efficient house can also stay cooler during a heat wave, even without air conditioning, so it can reduce the risk of heat-related illness."

Secondhand Clothing Sales Are Booming – and May Help Solve the Sustainability Crisis in the Fashion Industry

Are Electric Cars Really Better for the Climate? (audio)

Have Old Political Signs? Donate Them To Help Bees Stay Warm and Safe
"These signs are the perfect size to keep bees warm, and ward off pests... corrugated plastic signs keep hives at their ideal constant 98 degree temperature... Signs placed at the base of beehives help with ventilation, control humidity, and act as a shield against cool night drafts that can chill the queen bee and babies."

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Linda Cayot: Lessons From a Life in Conservation

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.