EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - October 23, 2020

3 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Emerald

da leggere,
23 ott 2020, 11:11:5423/10/20
a Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
The United States Consumed Record Amount Of Renewable Energy In 2019

Wind, Solar Are Cheapest Power Source In Most Places, BNEF Says

New York Will Finally Enforce Its Plastic Bag Ban

LOCAL REPORTS
California Town Tests New Model for Microgrids

Not Just Fracking: Cut All Oil Drilling in California, Says Key Lawmaker

Sonoma County grape growers expect wildfire smoke damage to cost at least $152 million

Top Solar Power States Per Capita — CleanTechnica Report

GMOs, GLYPHOSATE & TOXINS
France Clamps Down on Use of Weedkiller Glyphosate in Farming

FOSSIL FUELS
Uganda's quest for sustainable energy poses fresh environmental threats

With Bankruptcies Mounting, Faltering Oil and Gas Firms Are Leaving a Multi-billion Dollar Cleanup Bill to the Public

Battered by Hurricanes and Pollution, It Is Time for Louisiana to Imagine Life Beyond Oil

Idled Venezuelan floating oil facility under repairs amid environmental concerns

PIPELINES
Indigenous Women to Financial CEOs: Stop Abetting 'Climate-Wrecking' Tar Sands Industry

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
Air Pollution Responsible for Over 6.6 Million Deaths Worldwide in 2020, Study Finds

London the worst city in Europe for health costs from air pollution

Bottle-Fed Babies May Consume Millions of Microplastic Particles a Day

The Double Jeopardy of Environmental Racism

WAKE UP CALL
Sea-Level Rise Takes Business Toll in North Carolina's Outer Banks

Alaska's new climate threat: tsunamis linked to melting permafrost

The World’s Largest Tropical Wetland Has Become an Inferno
"This year, roughly a quarter of the vast Pantanal wetland in Brazil, one of the most biodiverse places on Earth, has burned in wildfires worsened by climate change.... Naturally occurring fire plays a role in the Pantanal, in addition to the burning by ranchers. The flames are usually contained by the landscape’s mosaic of water. But this year’s drought sucked these natural barriers dry. The fires are far worse than any since satellite records began."

Why the UK needs a diverse leadership team for COP26
"The UK government announced the team of politicians and negotiators who will host the UN COP26 climate negotiations in Glasgow next year – and they are all men."

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Taking a Regional Approach to Electric Vehicle Readiness

The Map Is Not the Territory: New Routes to a 1.5°C Future

Sen. Merkley Introduces Bills to Stop Banks From Funding Fossil Fuels

Celebrity Endorsement of Environmental Causes: Does It Work?

This Is How the Government Can Ramp Up Climate Tech Investment

DIRECT ACTIONS
Quote from Greta Thunberg:
"As long as a dead tree is more valuable to us than a living tree and as long as the destruction of nature is worth more than nature itself we won’t be able to solve the climate and ecological emergency."

3 Ways COVID-19 Has Changed Youth Activism

Anti-fracking activists again break into W’Burg pipeline construction site
"We’re shutting down the pipeline, I don’t want people in my neighborhood Brownsville to suffer from cancer,” said Gabriel Jamison, of the group Brownsville Residents Green Committee, from below ground on Oct. 16. “I’m sacrificing myself so National Grid don’t have to build this fracked gas pipeline through none of our neighborhoods — I’m not with it.”

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Santa Barbara Schools Get Solar-Battery Backup, Saving Money at the Same Time

The Low-Carbon Jet Fuel Market Is Cleared for Take-Off

Promise or Peril? Importing Hydropower to Fuel the Clean Energy Transition

Kill Your Gas Stove
"It’s bad for you, and the environment. If you can afford to avoid it, you probably should."

ENDING ON A POSITIVE

How farmers in Thailand are using armies of 10,000 ducks to keep rice paddies pest-free

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
https://OccupySonomaCounty.org

(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore
Inoltra
0 nuovi messaggi