EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - March 1, 2018

Emerald

Mar 1, 2018, 8:44:51 AM3/1/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.  Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Surrounded by Big Agriculture, Ron Rosmann Innovates and Inspires​
https://civileats.com/2018/02/21/surrounded-by-big-agriculture-ron-rosmann-innovates-and-inspires/

2) Schools for Climate Action on KOWS Radio (audio)
https://schoolsforclimateaction.weebly.com/news/kows-925-interview-on-12318
Don't miss this great interview with Park Guthrie and students from Sebastopol.
AND
Time for the Teens to Take on the Kochs Over Climate

https://www.ecowatch.com/teens-take-on-kochs-2539919031.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2180f76906-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2180f76906-86095421

3) The next breakthrough for a bike-friendly world: Protected intersections! (video)
https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/next-breakthrough-bike-friendly-world-protected-intersections-video.html
AND
Dutch junction design - safer for cyclists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDN9fUlqU8&noredirect=1

4) Time’s Up for California AG Becerra to Investigate #ExxonKnew and Prove He’s a Real Climate Leader
https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-california-becerra-2537146030.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e2c98fc918-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e2c98fc918-86095421
350.org: "In failing to take on Exxon's climate deception, Xavier Becerra stands to undercut California's vaunted leadership in global efforts to combat climate change. To build the fossil free world that works for all of us, we must use all of our tools to hold accountable those who have profited most from this destruction, in our legal system and in the court of public opinion."

5) BP: Oil Demand to Peak by 2040, With 5x Growth in Renewables
https://www.ecowatch.com/bp-energy-outlook-peak-oil-2537574216.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e2c98fc918-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e2c98fc918-86095421
"The suggestion that rapid growth in electric cars will cause oil demand to collapse just isn't supported by the basic numbers—even with really rapid growth," BP's chief economist Spencer Dale noted to the Telegraph. "Even in the scenario where we see an ICE [internal combustion engines] ban and very high efficiency standards, oil demand is still higher in 2040 than it is today."

6) Next 30 Years to Sway Sea Level Rise for the Next 300 Years, Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/sea-level-rise-prediction-2537637797.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e2c98fc918-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e2c98fc918-86095421
Climate Nexus: "Each five years of delayed action on climate change now could result in as much an additional eight inches of sea level rise by 2300, stark new research shows."

7) 3M to Pay Minnesota $850M in Surprise Settlement Over Chemical Disposal
https://www.ecowatch.com/3m-lawsuit-minnesota-2537620198.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e2c98fc918-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e2c98fc918-86095421
"The lawsuit was originally filed by Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson back in 2010, claiming 3M contaminated the state's water supply from 1950 until the early 2000s by dumping millions of pounds of waste into the ground and the Mississippi River from the production of perfluorochemicals, or PFCs, that the company used in its lines of nonstick products such as Scotchgard. The manufacturing conglomerate "knew or should have known" the toxic chemicals posed a risk to drinking water, harmed wildlife and human health long before stopping its production in 2002, officials said."

8) Nation's Largest Wind Farm Coming to Oklahoma
https://www.ecowatch.com/wind-farm-oklahoma-2538011028.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=e2c98fc918-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-e2c98fc918-86095421
AND
100+ Cities Now Powered by at Least 70% Renewables

https://www.ecowatch.com/renewable-energy-cities-2540308563.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2180f76906-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2180f76906-86095421
Be sure to check out this list of cities around the world!
AND
World's Largest Coal Miner Says It's a 'Matter of Time' for Renewables to Replace Coal

https://www.ecowatch.com/coal-renewable-energy-2539963915.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2180f76906-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2180f76906-86095421

9) Climate Refugees in Florida Could Change the Politics There for Generations
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-refugees-florida-2537123854.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f5152ec092-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f5152ec092-86095421
YES! Magazine: "Marámellys Castro-Pérez is a Puerto Rican refugee living in Orlando with her husband and twins after the one-two punch of Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Maria, in particular, scrubbed the island clean of electricity, working toilets and phone service. It dragged Castro-Pérez's world into the dark ages and pitted the island's modern, cosmopolitan populace against the once-tamed perils of hunger, biting insects and disease. "I was very sad because the island was in desolation. It was a hard hit," Castro-Pérez explained through an interpreter. "It truly hurt to see my home like that: flooded, with no light or water, seeing my children suffering. I've cried. I've suffered. But hopefully this [move] will make it better." The island's tropical rainforest climate, she said, is changing before their eyes. Local farmers are adopting drought-tolerant crops. Some have relocated as arable land goes sour from shifting water distribution patterns and rising seas, which drown aquifers. Two years earlier the island saw one of the worst droughts in its history. It spent more than a year grinding farmland into ash, but then broke with a maddening deluge that washed away crops just as delighted farmers were finally planting them. Then came 2017 and its cache of hurricanes... She claims Puerto Rico's climate-conscious inhabitants knew the value of recycling and a low carbon footprint long before the storms, but that couldn't stop them from being victimized. "We're a small population. We can carbon sink or recycle and bike more and plant all the trees we want, but that won't change anything on the larger scale," she said. "We're bearing the brunt of climate change and we're not really responsible for it." Sierra Club Florida Director Frank Jackalone said climate-conscious Puerto Rican refugees will likely swell the ranks of existing Florida residents who are also sounding the climate alarm. "Puerto Ricans are cognizant of the impact of climate change, but Floridians also are cognizant," said Jackalone. "We don't have a lot of (climate) deniers anymore." Hurricane Irma made an impact after knocking out power to more than 50 percent of the state. Jackalone said Floridians are also noticing the sea level rise, with saltwater intrusion in reservoirs in parts of Miami and in some parts of the Florida Keys."

10) Monsanto 'Commands' Civic Group to Turn in All Communications Over Glyphosate
https://www.ecowatch.com/monsanto-avaaz-glyphosate-2538134798.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f5152ec092-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f5152ec092-86095421

11) Contaminated Cosmetics Pose Growing Risk to Consumers
https://www.ecowatch.com/contaminated-cosmetics-risk-2537173563.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d2e8826eb9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d2e8826eb9-86095421
Burt's Bees lipstick is in the top 5 for lead. Use the OSC shopper's guide to help you find what products are trustworthy.

12) 'Keep It in the Ground' Approach to Fossil Fuels on Public Lands Would Cut Climate Emissions, Study Confirms
https://www.ecowatch.com/keep-it-in-the-ground-2540389052.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ea99ba81e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ea99ba81e8-86095421
DeSmogBlog: "Limiting fossil fuel production on U.S. federal lands would reduce both global oil consumption and overall carbon emissions, according to a new study by the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), a research organization focused on sustainable development. In the study, SEI researchers specifically examined the policies proposed in the "Keep It in the Ground Act," which would ban new and renewed leases to extract oil, gas, and coal on all federal lands, and was introduced in Congress in 2015, 2016, and again in 2017."
AND
Federal Judge Blocks Construction of Bayou Bridge Pipeline

https://www.ecowatch.com/bayou-bridge-pipeline-2539903149.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2180f76906-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2180f76906-86095421

13) Native Communities are Fighting for a More Inclusive Farm Bill
https://civileats.com/2018/02/26/native-communities-are-fighting-for-a-more-inclusive-farm-bill/
Civil Eats: “Our contention is tribes are not sovereign unless they can feed themselves,” says the prez of the Intertribal Ag Council, who's among those fighting for the inclusion of Native communities in the upcoming farm bill.

14) World's fishing fleets mapped from orbit
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43169824
AND
New Maps Reveal Industrial Fishing in More Than Half of World’s Oceans

https://www.ecowatch.com/industrial-fishing-maps-2539848876.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d5809cb2b6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d5809cb2b6-86095421
If you eat fish, look for non-toxic farm-raised fish to give the oceans a chance to recover.  Refer to the OSC Shopper's Guide.

15) Six Months After Harvey, Environmental Justice & Climate Change Absent from Houston’s Recovery Plans (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/26/six_months_after_harvey_environmental_justice?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=a51550eb90-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-a51550eb90-191276697

16) World's Largest Seed Bank Hits One Million Unique Food Crops
https://www.ecowatch.com/global-seed-vault-svalbard-2539843402.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d5809cb2b6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d5809cb2b6-86095421

17) Uranium Mining's Toxic Legacy: Why the U.S. Risks Repeating Mistakes
https://www.ecowatch.com/uranium-mining-health-2538101514.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d5809cb2b6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d5809cb2b6-86095421
The Conversation: "There are approximately 4,000 abandoned uranium mines in Western states. At least 500 are located on land controlled by the Navajo Nation. Diné (Navajo) people have suffered some of the worst consequences of U.S. uranium production, including cancer clusters and water contamination."

18) Want to Know More About Polar Regions? Check Out These 13 Books
https://www.ecowatch.com/books-on-polar-regions-2535500355.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d5809cb2b6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d5809cb2b6-86095421

19) Life After Fire
https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/life-after-fire/Content?oid=5375236

20) Judge Says Public Doesn’t Need Cancer Warning Label
http://www.momsacrossamerica.com/judge_hides_cancer_causing_chemical_from_public

21) Germany's Top Court: Cities Can Ban Diesel Cars to Fight Air Pollution
https://www.ecowatch.com/germany-diesel-cars-2540356084.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ea99ba81e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ea99ba81e8-86095421
"This ruling is a victory for clean air, and shows what's possible when public health is the priority," Niklas Schinerl, clean air campaigner at Greenpeace Germany said. "Across Europe, decisions like these are making it clear that diesel cars are on the way out."

22) World's First Plastic-Free Supermarket Aisle Debuts in the Netherlands
https://www.ecowatch.com/plastic-free-supermarket-2540794987.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ea99ba81e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ea99ba81e8-86095421
AND
The Last Straw? EU Official Hints Ban on Single-Use Plastic Across Europe

https://www.ecowatch.com/eu-ban-single-use-plastic-2538546402.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=d2e8826eb9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-d2e8826eb9-86095421
AND
Plastic Straws, Stirrers, Utensils Banned From Malibu Restaurants

https://www.ecowatch.com/plastic-ban-malibu-2540406956.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ea99ba81e8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ea99ba81e8-86095421

23) California Court Ruling Ends Decades of State Pesticide Spraying
https://www.ecowatch.com/california-pesticides-health-2539988928.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2180f76906-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2180f76906-86095421
This is awesome!

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Thursday, Mar 8, 5:30 PM

Schools for Climate Action Monthly Meeting
Please register here: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/9c8b51ba1d164446dc2040ba88984b7b

Monday, March 19, 7-9 PM

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Saturday, March 24​, 2-5 PM

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock Meeting

2-3:30 pm Divestment & Public Banking
3:30-5 pm Main Meeting
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.s...@gmail.com

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Monday, March 26, 7-9 PM

KBBF Presents An Occupy Sonoma County Teach-in: Urban Farming & Backyard Sustainability
Free with Donations Welcome
Carpenters' Union Hall, 1706 Corby Ave, Santa Rosa 95407

While healthy food can be prohibitively expensive, unhealthy food costs us even more in the long term with health costs and shorter lives. There is an answer to this dilemma: learn how to grow organic foods in your backyard year-round in healthy soils free from petrochemicals.
Presenter Jonathan Bravo, a field expert at LandPaths and Bayer Farm, has been dedicated to education and community action where he can express part of his life philosophy, 'what you seed you will harvest.'

​Pay-What-You-Can Plant Sale & Free Seed Exchange (bring your extra seeds to share).​ Everyone is welcome to this free event.
For more information go to OccupySonomaCounty.org or call (707)877-6650.

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. March 31 (the last Saturday every month)

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communitys...@gmail.com

Monday, April 30 ​, 7-9 PM,

Sonoma County Climate Activist Network Meeting - SoCo CAN!
Peace & Justice Center

Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
Join the new Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCAN.

Thursday, May 10

2nd Annual ​Sonoma County Zero Waste Symposium
Zero Waste Sonoma is making great strides in reducing waste across Sonoma County through reducing, composting, reusing, and recycling.K​ick off Zero Waste Week (May 6 - 12)
For more info go to: https://zerowastesonoma.org/

Volunteer Opportunities

• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.  We especially need help covering Petaluma, Cotati and Rohnert Park.

• Video editing help is always needed - even one hour would help

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

Can you help us upload some video clips to our Youtube page?

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.