EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - January 28, 2021 - Special Joe Biden Issue

1 view

Emerald

Jan 28, 2021, 3:56:03 AM1/28/21
to Earth Action Campaign
Joe Biden Canceled Keystone XL. Indigenous Leaders Demand the Same for the Dakota Access Pipeline (video)

Joe Biden’s Cancellation of the Keystone Pipeline Is a Landmark in the Climate Fight
by Bill McKibben

Youth Climate Leaders Say Global Future Depends on Biden Being Bold
https://www.ecowatch.com/youth-climate-activists-biden-2650054864.html?rebelltitem=5#rebelltitem5
"Being better than Trump isn't enough," they wrote. "But also simply continuing where the Obama administration ended is far from sufficient." According to the young activists, Biden's stated goal of achieving net-zero emissions by 2050 is simply too late. "Be braver," they wrote."

Consequential Biden Actions Nobody Is Talking About
"These orders need to turn into real actions from top to bottom in the federal government and in partnership with state and tribal governments as well as internationally. None of the challenges we face will be solved without action at all levels."

We Should Cause Trouble, Not Make Nice With Biden

Here Are Biden’s Day One Actions on the Climate and Environment
"It is imperative that we keep the pressure on President Biden to put an end to ALL fossil fuel infrastructure and projects, making the ones that are near or on Indigenous territories of top priority," Tasina Sapa Win Smith, co-founder of Cheyenne River Grassroots Collective, said in a statement from the Indigenous Environmental Network."

Climate Groups Begin Vying for Power in the Biden Era as Pressure for Unity Fades
"Climate groups have to have some real conversations with the labor movement and workers that will be most adversely affected [by the energy transition], and we have to treat those workers as holistically, to ensure they’re guided through a transition that is grounded in keeping those communities whole.”

Greta Thunberg's message to world leaders at #DavosAgenda
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/01/greta-thunberg-message-to-the-davos-agenda?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=The+Davos+Agenda+2021&utm_content=25%2F01%2F2021+19%3A45
"Today, we hear leaders and nations all over the world speak of an “existential climate emergency”. But instead of taking the immediate action you would in any emergency, they set up vague, insufficient, hypothetical targets way into the future, like “net-zero 2050”. Targets based on loopholes and incomplete numbers. Targets that equal surrender. It’s like waking up in the middle of the night, seeing your house on fire, then deciding to wait 10, 20 or 30 years before you call the fire department while labeling those trying to wake people up alarmists."

“The Work Continues”: Cornel West & Maria Hinojosa on the Promise & Dangers of the Biden Admin
"No matter how many people of color you sprinkle around, even in high places, if they can’t reshift that trajectory of the empire, then, in fact, you end up with a deep, deep disappointment."

Greta Thunberg says 'time will tell' if Biden administration fulfills promises on climate change (video)

After 'Incredible First Steps' on KXL and Paris, Biden Urged to 'Go Further' on Climate

https://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.