Re: from Jorge: comments at Council meetings

1 view

V Jacobi

Nov 7, 2017, 3:03:02 PM11/7/17
to Jorge Rebagliati, Osc_earth Action

yes - if there are lots of people wanting to speak    but a 2nd person can continue to read comments   like your wife etc   or a group of people... or give you there time probably and just stand next to you... I am sending my response to the Earth Action list because it is important info for Earth Action locally... Thanks tons Jorge.  Folks volunteering to show up and give Jorge all or some of your time would be cool.  There are sign in cards and you can probably clip a bunch of peoples together with a clip or rubber band and add a note about speaking jointly... the City Clerk is the expert on this   Thank you all tonssssssssssssssssss...

On 2017-11-06 20:53, Jorge Rebagliati wrote:

Dear Roni:

The maximum time for each comment at a City Council is 3', is that right?  Can they shorten that length of time during the Council meeting?

Love,

Jorge

"We are the ones we've been waiting for"

DECLARATION: "Climate Crisis Is Already A Major Disaster"

V Jacobi

Nov 7, 2017, 4:21:26 PM11/7/17
to Jorge Rebagliati, Osc_earth Action

sorry, I meant to say that reducing public comment maximum to 2 minutes for a large group of speakers is rather common... I don't think it gets reduced to 1 minute often and perhaps never... but again, the City Clerk would know the most on this currently

On 2017-11-07 12:03, V Jacobi wrote:

yes - if there are lots of people wanting to speak    but a 2nd person can continue to read comments   like your wife etc   or a group of people... or give you their time probably and just stand next to you... I am sending my response to the Earth Action list because it is important info for Earth Action locally... Thanks tons Jorge.  Folks volunteering to show up and give Jorge all or some of your time would be cool.  There are sign in cards and you can probably clip a bunch of peoples together with a clip or rubber band and add a note about speaking jointly... the City Clerk is the expert on this   Thank you all tonssssssssssssssssss...

Dear Roni:

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org
---

Merlin Davis

Nov 10, 2017, 1:51:32 AM11/10/17
to V Jacobi, Jorge Rebagliati, Osc_earth Action
At Tuesday's combined City Council/BOS meeting with an audience of 250 people they reduced comment time to 90 seconds.  And of course did their usual number of looking bored and watching the clock as people were commenting, and never responded with so much as a nod of the head.

Public comment is a mandated annoyance and nothing else.  To be honest it is better as a speaker to grandstand for the audience, IMO.  At least some people there might actually listen.  Just to keep expectations from being too high and all.  :-/

Merlin