11/19 Reach Code Call to Action - sample public comments

1 view

Hoai-An

Nov 17, 2019, 5:59:35 PM11/17/19
to ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition, AJR (Alliance for a Just Recovery), sunri...@gmail.com, Sonoma-NoDAPL, Anti-Racist Allies SC
Santa Rosa Reach Code.jpg
Hi folks,

Once again, I urge you to support the reach code for Santa Rosa this Tuesday, Nov. 19. Also ask any young people you know - particularly who helped organize the big Climate Strike on Sept. 20 to support. Note that as fossil fuel extraction often impacts low-income communities/ communities of color the most, this is absolutely a social justice issue.

Someone emailed me asking why we need to go all-electric. The quick explanation is that methane is the main component in natural gas. Methane is more than 80 TIMES more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Our existing natural gas infrastructure already leaks lots of methane. We shouldn't be adding any new fossil fuel infrastructure.

Here are two public comments I read to the San Jose City Council just recently. I've corrected some of the info/added in a little more detail that I couldn't include in a 2-minute public comment. I've also included my public comment on declaring a climate emergency, which I did not need to read, as the council ended public comments early and moved to vote for the climate emergency declaration immediately.

Feel free to use these to make your own public comments or borrow any info.

_______

2019-09-10 Reach Code (REVISED 11/2019)

WHAT IS A REACH CODE?

Reach codes are building codes adopted by cities or counties that require greater energy efficiency than the statewide building codes. Reach codes must also be cost-effective. Reach codes apply to all new construction, and are updated every three years.

So WHY ARE THEY IMPORTANT?

In San Jose, buildings are the second largest source of emissions (nearly 40%) after transportation (46%). About 2/3 of the emissions is from gas usage.

Methane is the main ingredient in natural gas. Natural gas extraction (fracking) releases a lot of methane, which is more than 80 times more potent at trapping heat than carbon dioxide. Fossil fuel extraction including natural gas often happens in low-income neighborhoods, and releases hazardous toxins, often right next to residences and SCHOOLS. Gas rates are going to go up - to upgrade aging gas infrastructure.

For health, climate & equity reasons, it’s important that we stop building new fossil fuel gas infrastructure and instead use clean energy. All-electric buildings are actually more cost-effective these days. Residents can save $4000 to $10,000 on utility bills over 20 years.

_________

Here is my related public comment re: San Jose’s supplemental policies which are even stronger than the new Reach Code San Jose voted in on 9/17/19. The city council voted for the supplemental policies as well:

2019-10-29 Supplemental Policies

My name is Hoai-An Truong. I am a climate activist and resident of district 3. I am a member of Mothers Out Front mobilizing for a livable climate, and Silicon Valley Youth Climate Action.

I was living in Santa Rosa when we experienced one of the most destructive fires in history. Now the Kincade Fire is raging in Sonoma County, which is still recovering from the last firestorm. This time, the evacuation area is many times larger, spreading all the way out to the coast.

We can’t dither and delay this ban on natural gas in new buildings. Methane, the main ingredient of natural gas, is more than 80 times more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2. Our aging gas infrastructure is leaking methane. Last summer, a study  found that U.S. oil and gas operations are leaking 60 percent more methane than the EPA had previously calculated. We cannot be adding more fossil fuel infrastructure. We are running out of time. If we don't reduce and REMOVE carbon in the atmosphere, these fires, drought, food insecurity, homelessness and many other problems are just going to get worse.

On behalf of Silicon Valley Youth Climate Action, we ask you to do your part to save our future. Don’t delay this action which we must take.

Buildings produce the 2nd largest emissions in San Jose after transportation. Fossil fuels are killing us, killing the planet. You have the chance to speed us along to a clean energy future, and away from fossil fuels. Where cities lead, the State of California often follows. You could set the standard for the state. Which in turn will inspire other cities and states across the nation and across the globe.
_________

Here is an article which helps people to understand the advances in electrical appliance technology. Most people my age or older (including myself) have really loathed all-electric kitchens for decades. But the technology has vastly improved. Please read this article which I wrote - or at least watch the short videos:

Additionally, heat pump technology has also greatly improved efficiency for both heating and cooling (air conditioning), and saves money on utility bills for years to come, as renewable energy costs diminish over time.
________

This is my public comment asking the City of San Jose to declare a climate emergency:

The effects we are seeing now (for example raging wildfires that are only going to increase in size and ferocity, and severe impacts on food production, and more), these are the delayed effects from emissions starting 30 years ago. The oceans absorb temperature and carbon dioxide and create a roughly 30-year lag between greenhouse-gas emissions and their effects. We are currently seeing the effects of greenhouse gases emitted before 1980.

More and more data is coming to light that was not included in the IPCC report, or is just being discovered. I believe we have more like 5 years, not 11.

In addition to the mayor’s proposed reach code, we MUST work on ways to sequester carbon (that is to say pulling carbon out of the atmosphere). We need to declare a climate emergency to mobilize and work on carbon sequestration as well as emissions reduction such as carbon farming, composting and reducing food waste which are among the top 11 ways to reduce and even REVERSE the climate crisis. We need a public bank to help us fund climate resilliency, and much more. We need a World War II scale mobilization to address thi crisis.

As Bill McKibben says, "Given the magnitude of the task, everyone has to step up their game."

Please declare an emergency now.

Share event on Facebook/social media:

Share WaccoBB.net announcement (if you are not on Facebook):

Thank you!

june.brashares

Nov 17, 2019, 11:22:05 PM11/17/19
to c-o...@350kitty.net, ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition, AJR (Alliance for a Just Recovery), sunri...@gmail.com, Sonoma-NoDAPL, Anti-Racist Allies SC