EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - July 30, 2020

Emerald

Jul 30, 2020, 5:09:51 AM7/30/20
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

*******
Occupy Sonoma County is participating in Plastic Free July.  Download our Action Picker handout at http://OccupySonomaCounty/PlasticFreeJuly.  We urge everyone to sign up at http://PlasticFreeJuly.org.  340 million people participated in Plastic Free July worldwide last year!  Will you take the challenge?  Give up plastic for the month of July.  How low can you go?
*******

BREAKTHROUGH!
First downstate project through Illinois community solar program completed

Austin, Texas, puts a price on carbon

Solar farm the size of 313 football fields to be built at Edmonton airport

LOCAL REPORTS
Is America's biggest gas utility abusing customer money? A California watchdog demands answers

Trump can’t weaken California’s climate change carbon market, federal judge rules

Highway 101 bike bridge, small cell rules go before City Council

SMART seeks support for low-income discount program in ticket price review

Sonoma County airport expects to finish expanded passenger gate area in August

Santa Rosa, Sonoma County collect more than $240 million in PG&E settlement for 2017 fires

Water Quality Agency Fines Phillips 66 Refinery, Again, for Polluting Bay

BAYER/MONSANTO
Bayer Investors Investigate Company’s Directors for Possible Securities Fraud over Roundup Cancer Cases

FOSSIL FUELS
'Tired of being the canary in the mine': pressure grows to push oil and gas wells away from homes

Covid-19: G20 countries bet on fossil fuels for economic recovery

California Resources Corp., leading oil and gas producer, files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

PLASTIC & POLLUTION
We’re set to add a billion tons of plastic to Earth in the next 20 years
"Unless drastic action is taken a billion more tons of plastic could cover the planet by 2040 – with immediate action, we’ll still add 710 million metric tons of plastic."

WAKE UP CALL
Cogs in the climate machine
"A short course in planetary time, for planetary survival."

Cogs in the climate machine

Environmental Impacts of Dams

Revealed: oil giants help fund powerful police groups in top US cities
"Investigation portrays fossil fuel industry as common enemy in struggle for racial and environmental justice in America."

Photos show scale of massive fires tearing through Siberian forests

The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance

First active leak of sea-bed methane discovered in Antarctica

Climate Change Tracker: Breaching the heat barrier

Why Africa’s heatwaves are a forgotten impact of climate change

A Plunge in Mass Transit Ridership Deals a Huge Blow to Climate Change Mitigation

THINK TANK & STRATEGY

Why we need to declare a global climate emergency now

How climate change misinformation spreads online
"The misinformation network begins with funding supplied by corporate and philanthropic actors with a vested interest in climate change – particularly in fossil fuels."

DIRECT ACTIONS
Stories From the Youth Climate Movement in the Global South

Eco-activists fall 20 feet and suffer injuries after rope cut
"Anti-HS2 protesters fell 20 feet and were injured after contractors cut rope."

Three Extinction Rebellion activists held after Thames rig protest

Protesters board Silvertown Tunnel drilling rig this morning

Louisiana Activists Face 15 Years for “Terrorizing” Oil Lobbyist with Box of Plastic Pollution (video)
"Two environmental activists with the Louisiana Bucket Brigade face up to 15 years in prison for leaving a box of plastic pellets, found on the Texas coast, at the home of an oil and gas lobbyist in December. Advocates say the “terrorizing” felony charges reflect longtime attempts to criminalize environmental activists in Louisiana and come amid a campaign to block Formosa Plastics from building a new plant in St. James Parish, an area known as Cancer Alley."

The Bicycle as a Vehicle of Protest

Greta Thunberg says EU recovery plan fails to tackle climate crisis

John Lewis And His Environmental Legacy

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
How Regenerative Agriculture Can Make Your Food Greener
"Regardless of regenerative agriculture’s potential to make livestock carbon neutral, the scientific community still has high hopes for its carbon sequestration abilities in the fight against climate change. In the future, humanity will likely need to significantly reduce the amount of livestock that is raised and consumed in order to keep global warming at bay. Until then, however, regenerative agriculture is an innovative way to make global food production greener."

UK plans to boost cycling and walking under threat, say campaigners

Good Life For All Within Planetary Boundaries
"No country in the world currently meets the basic needs of its citizens at a globally sustainable level of resource use."

Meat and dairy production emit more nitrogen than Earth can cope with

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Baby turtles thrive on tourist-free Thai beaches and bright orange baby monkeys 'living happily' in parks
"Before the pandemic, Koh Samui was one of the top holiday destinations in Thailand, with visitors flocking to the island's stunning beaches, but the outbreak closed borders and turtles have been taking the place of tourists on the peaceful sands."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.