Fwd: Call for Proposals - SRJC We the Future Social Justice Conference

Hoai-An Truong

Feb 11, 2021, 10:19:15 PM2/11/21
to ClimateActivists-SC, OSC Earth Action, May 1st Coalition, Maya Khosla
Hi folks,
Santa Rosa Jr. College and North Bay Organizing Project (NBOP) are co-hosting the "We the Future" Social Justice Conference, free and open to the general public. In previous years, it has been held at SRJC's Petaluma campus. This year of course it will be virtual - both easier to attend and easier to present. They are requesting proposals for presentations by Monday, March 8. They often choose a central theme (such as food justice) but they also choose presentations on other topics such as public banking. This year's theme is Strength in Numbers.

I love this event. It has been popular among the students. I've attended at least once (wanted to attend in other years but it didn't work out). The keynote (that year's theme was food justice) was packed, standing room only. The whole day was busy with activity. They have also worked hard to make it more accessible by such things as providing lunch and a light breakfast for the event. Providing free food at this free event helped to make it easier for students to attend money-wise and time-wise. I don't know what attendance will be like this year now that it's virtual.

This year it is happening on Friday, April 16, about a week before Earth Day, Thursday, April 22. So if you or your organization is planning or would like to do an event for Earth Day, this might be a great opportunity to combine a climate justice event into this social justice conference by and for students AND the general public. It might boost your attendance and reach out to young people in the area at the same time.