EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - April 4, 2019

Emerald

Apr 4, 2019, 7:13:04 AM4/4/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
‘People Will Wonder Why We Didn’t Do This Sooner’: New York Becomes Second State to Ban Plastic Bags
https://www.ecowatch.com/new-york-plastic-bag-ban-2633370385.html

Federal Judge Halts Drilling on Public Lands Over Climate Concerns

EU Parliament Bans Plastics Responsible for 70% of Ocean Trash

Rep. Jared Huffman becoming key Democratic leader on the environment

BAYER/MONSANTO
Man Who Developed Cancer After Roundup Use Awarded More Than $80 Million in Damages
https://www.ecowatch.com/roundup-cancer-lawsuit-2633020482.html
Edwin Hardeman developed cancer after using the glyphosate-containing weedkiller to control poison oak, weeds and overgrowth on his Sonoma property.

FOSSIL FUELS
Opponents to Expanding Petrochemical Industry in Louisiana Fight Back

Push to Reverse Obscure Shipping Law Could Flood Puerto Rico with Fracked Gas

Global 'collapse' in number of new coal-fired power plants

PIPELINES

GREEN NEW DEAL
Emissions inequality: there is a gulf between global rich and poor

Green New Deal Policy Writer: Senate Vote Against Climate Plan Was Attempt to Stifle Growing Momentum (video)

“Tell That to the Families in Flint”: AOC Demolishes GOP Claim That Green New Deal Is “Elitist” (video)

How Do the 2020 Candidates Rate on Climate Action?

Green New Deal Policy Writer: Senate Vote Against Climate Plan Was Attempt to Stifle Growing Momentum (video)

3 ways Sunrise Movement and Justice Democrats are changing what is winnable
https://wagingnonviolence.org/2019/03/how-sunrise-justice-democrats-are-changing-what-is-winnable/

WAKE UP CALL
State commissioners meet in Santa Rosa to discuss how to pay for future fires

Second Houston-Area Chemical Plant Fire in Weeks Kills One, Injures Two

'Tragic showcase' of how climate change could affect world's poorest

Study Links Air Pollution and Teenage Psychotic Experiences

Oceans Do Us a ‘Huge Service’ by Absorbing Nearly a Third of Global CO2 Emissions, but at What Cost?
https://www.ecowatch.com/oceans-absorb-co2-2631712140.html

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
From Science to Art, US Teachers Educate Students on Climate Change

DIRECT ACTIONS
Blessed are the youth, they have the purity of message

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
Rail Travel Is Cleaner Than Driving or Flying, but Will Americans Buy In?

Latest Agriculture Emissions Data Show Rise of Factory Farms

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Puerto Rico passes 100% renewable energy bill as it aims for storm resilience

Take Action - Get Involved!

Friday, April 5, 7-9 PM

Occupy Sonoma County Presents

Giants: The Global Power Elite with Peter Phillips
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401

Free with donations welcome

For more info go to OccupySonomaCounty.org

Monday, April 15, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
We will be discussing our plans for Plastic Free July - and other stuff.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, ​April 17, 7pm
350 Sonoma Meeting
For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sonomacounty@gmail.com

Monday, April 29, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Emerald
Notetaker: Jory

Volunteer

• OSC is putting on teach-ins on April 5 (the global power elite), May 6 (plant-based eating for climate change), and July 22 (zero waste).  Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.  Download flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.