Updates - Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa

Shelly

Mar 9, 2018, 5:43:15 PM3/9/18
Dear Friends of Public Banking,

Warm greetings to you all on this somewhat chilly winter day. I hope this note finds you all warm and well. It has been sometime since I sent out a blast on our Public Banking efforts here in Santa Rosa, so I wanted so share a few exciting updates.

First and foremost, I want to thank those of you who signed our online petition asking the City of Santa Rosa to fund a feasibility study for a Public Bank of Santa Rosa and for endorsing our proposed Resolution for a Public Bank as well, both of which may be viewed on our website at www.publicbanksantarosa.org. Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa reached out to the community in January asking for your support in the signing of these documents in order to bring them to council for their annual Goal Setting and Budget Priority meetings. A big thanks also to those of you who were able to attend those meetings and spoke out in favor of public banking. I am happy to say that between these 2 documents and signatures from signed petitions as well, we were able to inform city officials that we had over 500 signatures in support of these efforts (now over 600). As a result of the community support, we are making for a strong collective voice and having an impact.

Our specific ask of the council at this meeting was to fund a feasibility study for a public bank of Santa Rosa. The council voted to make this a Tier 2 Priority, up from last years Tier 3 level. The full breakdown of the Tier 1 & Tier 2 priorities may be viewed here; https://www.srcity.org/2476/Mission-Vision-Values-Goals-Priorities

We didn't expect this to move forward too quickly given that we didn't make Tier 1, but I am pleased to say that a few of us attended the city's Long Term Financial Policy and Audit Subcommittee meeting last month to hear the interim CFO Alan Alton give a report back on the current and future banking services for Santa Rosa. As many of you know, the city currently banks with Wells Fargo and has put out an RFP for banking services. We went to hear about this and were pleasantly surprised to hear Alan Alton state that he has set aside funds for a feasibility study for a public bank. He is awaiting the results of the Oakland feasibility study, which is set to be completed at the end of this month. I have attached our notes from this meeting if you would like to read more about the banks that have bid on the RFP and the city's recommendations. We will continue to monitor the progress on this RFP.

I also want to inform you all that we have changed the meeting time for our monthly Friends of Public Banking Santa Rosa meeting. We previously met from 2-3:30pm, but that has been adjusted to 1-3pm going forward. Also, we typically meet on the second Saturday of the month, but for this month only, we will meet on Saturday, March 24th as there were scheduling conflicts for this month on the second Saturday. In April we will resume meeting on the second Saturday of the month. As always we will meet at the Peace and Justice Center in Santa Rosa from 1-3pm in back to back meetings with the Divestment/Admin group from Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock, who will hold their meeting from 3-5pm.

Lastly, below is an excellent update from Trinity Tran who spearheads the Public Bank LA working group with major updates on public banking in LA, California and and across the nation. We are all part of this very vibrant and growing movement of public banking whose time has come.

To our collective best always,

Shelly Browning

"The tallest oak in the forest was once just a little nut that held its ground." ~ Unknown