EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - November 9, 2017

Emerald

Nov 9, 2017, 5:17:23 AM11/9/17
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently. This is a simple weekly newsletter. Your participation is encouraged. Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics. Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval. Thank you for joining us.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Act Out Episode #134
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImVbZDC1tA&feature=youtu.be

1) white genocide 2) net neutrality​ 3) dirty energy and indigenous people (some brief profanity)

2) I-Team: Cancer Patients Sue Roundup, Claim Ingredient Made Them Sick (video)
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/category/news/3757051-i-team-cancer-patients-sue-roundup-claim-ingredient-made-them-sick/

CBS News: "A popular weed killer is the target of multiple cancer lawsuits. The lawsuits claim the active ingredient in Roundup, known as glyphosate, causes cancer."

3) Monsanto halts launch of chemical after users complain of rashes
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-monsanto-chemicals/monsanto-halts-launch-of-chemical-after-users-complain-of-rashes-idUSKBN1D202Y

Reuters: "Monsanto Co put on hold the launch of a chemical designed to be applied to crop seeds on Wednesday following reports it causes rashes on people, in the latest instance of complaints about a company product that was approved by U.S. environmental regulators."

and
Bulgaria Prohibits Advertising of ‘Unhealthy’ GMO Foods to Children

https://sustainablepulse.com/2017/10/27/bulgaria-prohibits-advertising-of-unhealthy-gmo-foods-to-children/#.WgFruzHLdlR

and
Los Angeles Restricts Use of Monsanto’s Roundup in Public Areas

https://sustainablepulse.com/2017/10/27/los-angeles-restricts-use-of-monsantos-roundup-in-public-areas/#.WgFrrjHLdlR

and
How Monsanto Captured the EPA (And Twisted Science) To Keep Glyphosate on the Market

http://inthesetimes.com/features/monsanto_epa_glyphosate_roundup_investigation.html

In These Times: "Since 1973, Monsanto has cited dubious science, like tests on the uteri of male mice." A male mouse does not have a uterus.

4) Just Label It, News Roundup 10-27

http://www.justlabelit.org/just-label-it-news-roundup-10-27/
"Monsanto’s glyphosate dominated the news this week. The European Parliament voted to ban glyphosate in 28 countries."

5) UN Climate Summit Opens in Bonn

https://www.ecowatch.com/bonn-cop23-2507068393.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421
"The 23rd annual Conference of Parties under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change kicked off in Bonn, Germany Monday morning, as the world nations gather to discuss implementation of the Paris agreement."

and
Ahead of COP23 Climate Talks: 25,000 March Demanding End to 'Era of Fossil Fuels'

https://www.ecowatch.com/cop23-thousands-march-2506729920.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421

Common Dreams: "Just days before world leaders are set to gather in Bonn, Germany for the annual United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP23), tens of thousands of activists from across the globe kicked off a series of planned actions on Saturday by taking to the streets to demand an end to coal, denounce U.S. President Donald Trump's climate denial, and highlight the necessity of moving toward 100 percent renewable energy as quickly as possible.”

and
Chanting 'Keep It In the Ground,' Thousands Descend on German Coalfields

https://www.ecowatch.com/german-coalfields-2507051369.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421

Common Dreams: "Demanding an end to coal and all forms of dirty energy extraction, more than 4,000 activists descended on the Rhineland coalfields in Germany early Sunday in a mass demonstration just a day before COP23 climate talks are set to kick off.”

and
The Big Banks Are Committing Major Crimes Against Our Climate

https://www.ecowatch.com/banks-tar-sands-paris-agreement-2505848938.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421

Alternet: "Various players in the financial industry have talked a big game on their commitments to the Paris agreement. But their business practices prove otherwise."

and
Dr. Michael Mann on Paris and Clean Power Plan: 'We’re Seeing Real Movement'

https://www.ecowatch.com/mann-clean-power-plan-paris-2503801859.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4695a19a18-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4695a19a18-86095421

The Climate Reality Project: "I think we're seeing real movement, and I think we're seeing so much movement that there's really nothing that the polluting interests can do to stop the transition that's underway. All they can do is try to slow it down. If they can slow it down, well, they can make more fossil fuel profits in the meantime, says Michael Mann."

6) Why Did Trump Release a Report Confirming Climate Change Is Real?

https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-report-2507042608.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421
"Last Friday, the White House stunned many after it released a sweeping report concluding that climate change is not only real, but it also poses as a major threat to the U.S. and humans are "extremely likely" to be responsible.  The 477-page National Climate Assessment, which was mandated by Congress and reviewed by 13 federal agencies, conflicted with President Trump's notorious stance on global warming as a "hoax." It also defied Trump's continued efforts to dismantle environmental regulations on both the national and international scale."

7) Oxford Study Attacks Regenerative Agriculture — Monsanto Ally?

https://www.ecowatch.com/oxford-university-monsanto-2506308904.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421
and
This Little Lab-Grown Piggy Went to Market: Clean Meat Is on the Rise

https://www.ecowatch.com/clean-meat-production-2504409733.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421
and
It’s a Fact: 'Peel Back the Label' Is Bound to Fail

https://www.ecowatch.com/peel-back-the-label-2504884907.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421
"The fact is that more and more people want "clean" labeled foods with simpler and fewer ingredients and non-GMO is part of that trend. Peel Back the Label and whoever is behind it are fighting that trend; they want to continue keeping consumers in the dark and don't want them to know that the majority of dairy cows are fed GMO grains like corn and soybeans."

8) Recycled Plastic Can Fortify Concrete, MIT Students Find

https://www.ecowatch.com/mit-concrete-plastic-2501819686.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=350bb9b429-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-350bb9b429-86095421

and
Artist Gives New Life to Flint's Empty Water Bottles by Turning Them Into Clothing

https://www.ecowatch.com/flint-water-bottles-clothing-2504425483.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

9) Fears of Radiation Leak Soar After North Korea Nuclear Site Collapse Kills 200
https://www.ecowatch.com/north-korea-radiation-leak-2504456693.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

Common Dreams: "Experts are issuing urgent warnings of a possible radiation leak following the collapse of a tunnel at North Korea's Punggye-ri nuclear test site."

10) Report: Global Food Chain Increasingly Threatened by Corporate Consolidation

https://www.ecowatch.com/corporations-global-food-2504858599.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

Common Dreams: "As the European Commission considers a proposed mega-merger between Bayer and Monsanto, new research published Tuesday illustrates how corporations are monopolizing the global food system—jeopardizing consumer choice, labor conditions and efforts to eradicate world hunger."

The graphics in this article show the biggest corporate mergers in the past decade.

11) Beijing Starts the Biggest Shutdown of Steel Factories in History

https://www.ecowatch.com/beijing-steel-factories-2504305097.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

Greenpeace: "Dozens of huge steel mills in China stopped or curtailed their operations. In northern China cement plants are preparing to shut down entirely before Christmas. The measures are a part of an aggressive action plan that aims to cut wintertime particulate pollution by 15 percent year-on-year over the next five months. These cuts are badly needed as Beijing and the surrounding industrial provinces have suffered the winter's first serious episode this week, with PM2.5 levels across several provinces reaching "very unhealthy" levels."

and
Better Land Use Can Achieve 30% of Carbon Cuts by 2030

https://www.ecowatch.com/land-use-carbon-cuts-2504838715.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

Climate News Network: "Natural climate solutions—a way of saving protected forests, conserved marshlands and carefully managed farmland and pasture—could deliver 37 percent of the carbon mitigation needed by 2030."

12) Here's the Dirt That Industry Won't Tell You About 'Clean' Natural Gas​

https://www.ecowatch.com/industry-natural-gas-2504404301.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2eae6e7edc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2eae6e7edc-86095421

Earthjustice: "Cooking with gas is not, by itself, a big problem for the climate, but it ties into a larger American romance with gas that could be our undoing. "Natural gas" has a clean and healthy ring to it. But burning gas to heat and power our homes and factories, let alone our vehicles, is no more compatible with slowing climate change and preserving a livable planet than burning "natural" coal or "natural" oil."

13) In a Victory for 26,000 Penguins, Locals and Activist​s Defeat Giant Mining Project
https://www.ecowatch.com/chile-andes-iron-2505425407.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421

Oceana: "Andes Iron promised jobs and income. But people in La Higuera said they only needed to look to northern Chile to know their future. There, local people are still poor, and poorly educated, despite a glut of mines and industrial projects."

14) Exxon Refinery Catches Fire Day After Government Settles Over Pollution From Other Gulf Plants

https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-refinery-catches-fire-2505402070.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421
"Early morning skies Wednesday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, were alight from a fire that started around 2:30 a.m. at an ExxonMobil refinery. The blaze, though contained before the sun came up, is a reminder to the surrounding community of yet another danger of living next to refineries and chemical plants."

and
Exxon Settles Air Pollution Lawsuit, Will Pay $2.5 Million in Fines, $300 Million for Technology Upgrades

https://www.ecowatch.com/exxon-settles-with-epa-over-pollution-2504932474.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=01a3c8837a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-01a3c8837a-86095421

Climate Nexus: "The oil giant's agreement to pay $300 million to outfit oil and gas plants in Texas and Louisiana with pollution-control technology follows allegations that the company violated the Clean Air Act by releasing harmful pollutants at those plants. Exxon will also pay $2.5 million in fines."

15) Richard Branson Vowed to Rebuild the Caribbean After Hurricanes Destroyed It

https://www.ecowatch.com/richard-branson-rebuild-caribbean-2505469343.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421

Global Citizen: "The billionaire inventor and businessman, who owns a private island in the Caribbean where he rode out Hurricane Irma with his staff, is working with global leaders including the International Monetary Fund to help rebuild the islands, according to the report. Branson is insisting that the islands rebuild their energy grid on sustainable, renewable sources rather than fossil fuels."

and
As Elon Musk Proposes Taking Over Power Authority, Puerto Ricans Demand Community-Owned Solar Power (video)

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/11/1/as_elon_musk_proposes_taking_over?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=fd7e2e7195-Daily_Digest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-fd7e2e7195-191276697

16) 'Blocking the Sun': New Report Documents Efforts to Undermine Rooftop Solar
https://www.ecowatch.com/solar-energy-policies-2505417548.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2f915ce909-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2f915ce909-86095421

Environment America: "While nearly 9 in 10 Americans support the development of more solar energy, electric utilities and fossil fuel-backed special interests are trying to hold off the inevitable renewable-energy future by promoting policies that would make rooftop solar harder to obtain."

17) Hundreds of Sea Turtles Found Dead Off El Salvador and No One Knows Why

https://www.ecowatch.com/sea-turtles-dead-el-salvador-2505901455.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=4695a19a18-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-4695a19a18-86095421

18) World's Largest Tropical Reforestation to Plant 73 Million Trees in Brazilian Amazon
https://www.ecowatch.com/amazon-reforestation-brazil-2504950622.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=01a3c8837a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-01a3c8837a-86095421

19) Shocking New Investigation Links Berta Cáceres’s Assassination to Executives at Honduran Dam Company (video)
https://www.ecowatch.com/berta-cceres-assassination-executives-2505013617.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=01a3c8837a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-01a3c8837a-86095421

Democracy Now: "We look at shocking revelations released Tuesday that link the assassination of renowned Honduran indigenous environmental leader Berta Cáceres to the highest levels of the company whose hydroelectric dam project she and her indigenous Lenca community were protesting."

20) Amid tragedy and destruction, Northern California's fires present an opportunity

https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/qanda-with-stephen-j-pyne/Content?oid=4341102

and
Urban growth boundaries up for a vote as post-fire rebuild plans come into focus

https://www.bohemian.com/northbay/blazing-speed/Content?oid=4341228

21) The Cost of Resistance by Chris Hedges
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-cost-of-resistance/https://www.ecowatch.com/displaced-coal-miners-beekeeping-2501952089.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=56d843d0a0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-56d843d0a0-86095421

22)
Valve Turner Annette Klapstein faces trial in Minnesota for shutting down Enbridge’s Line 4 and 67 pipelines (video)
http://www.shutitdown.today/annette_klapstein?utm_campaign=annette_vid&utm_medium=email&utm_source=climatedisobedience

Don't miss this!

23) Displaced Coal Miners Turn to Beekeeping

https://www.ecowatch.com/displaced-coal-miners-beekeeping-2501952089.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=56d843d0a0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-56d843d0a0-86095421

Take Action - Get Involved!

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock meeting
Saturday, November 11, 3-6:00 PM
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

3-4 pm divestment and public banking
4-6 pm Sonoma Solidarity admin
For more info visit: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/

Zero Waste event
Tuesday, November 14, 7:00-8:30 PM
Sebastopol Grange - 6000 Sebastopol Ave. (Hwy. 12), Sebastopol

Learn about Zero Waste at home, work, school and events. Learn what Sonoma County communities and the State of California are doing to curb climate change, increase recycling, create jobs and move us toward a green economy. Zero Waste Sonoma County and other organizations.
For more info: http://sebastopolgrange.org/calendar-2/

350 Sonoma Co. "Community Conversation” and monthly organizing meeting
Wednesday, November 15, 7-9:00 PM
Peace and Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa

REBUILDING SANTA ROSA FOR RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY. BRING YOUR INTEREST AND EXPERTISE ON GREEN BUILDING PRACTICES.

Facebook: 350 Sonoma, Webpage: 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com.

Monthly meetings on the third Wednesday.

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Monday, November 20, 7-9 PM

Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists Meeting
Monday,  January 28​, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center
Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
We all agreed to support the 350 Sonoma Green Rebuild Campaign and we encourage you to attend their next meeting on Nov. 15 to get involved.

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Join The Shopper's Guide Research Team

We will be updating our shopper's guide in December. You can help with research - finding companies that meet our criteria, and the ones that don't. This update will expand to include pet food companies and continue adding more beer companies. If you use a product that is not in our shopper's guide you can help research it or send us the name for us to scrutinize.

• Customize Our Media Spreadsheet
Our media contacts have been updated. This contact info is much easier to use on a spreadsheet. We have a rough version that needs polish. Do you have spreadsheet skills that you can share with us?
• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.

• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.