EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - April 25, 2019

1 view

Emerald

Apr 25, 2019, 6:29:04 AM4/25/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.
If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

BREAKTHROUGH!
A Green New Deal for New York City
"The New York City Council last week overwhelmingly passed one of the most ambitious and innovative legislative packages ever considered by any major city to combat the existential threat of climate change."

‘It’s no longer free to pollute’: Canada imposes carbon tax on four provinces

PESTICIDES & TOXINS
'Finally!': Court Orders EPA to Stop Stalling Potential Ban on Pesticide Tied to Brain Damage in Kids

FOSSIL FUELS
Judge Rebukes Trump's Attack on Public Lands, Rules Coal Mining Push Illegal

POLLUTION
Surging Plastic Pollution in Oceans Revealed by Plankton Research Equipment

GREEN NEW DEAL
Noam Chomsky: The Green New Deal Is Exactly the Right Idea (video)

“A Message from the Future with AOC”: New Film Imagines World Transformed by the Green New Deal (video)

“We Can Be Whatever We Have the Courage to See”: Molly Crabapple’s Art Breathes Life Into Green New Deal (video)

Maine AFL-CIO Is First to Support a State-Level Green New Deal Bill

Movement to Build National Support for Green New Deal Starts in Boston, ‘City of Revolutions’
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/04/19/sunrise-movement-green-new-deal-tour-boston

WAKE UP CALL

'You Cannot Ignore Science': In Emotional Plea, Greta Thunberg Begs EU to Take Urgent Climate Action
https://tinyurl.com/y2u9k26c (Common Dreams)

Mapping the U.S. Counties Where Traffic Air Pollution Hurts Children the Most

Arctic's Melting Permafrost Will Cost Nearly $70 Trillion, Study Finds

Climate Change Has Increased Global Economic Inequality, Researchers Find

Greenland Is Melting 6 Times Faster Than in the 1980s

Arctic Laughing Gas Emissions Could Accelerate Global Warming

THINK TANK & STRATEGY
It’s Time to Transform the Tax Code and Implement a Green New Deal

What ‘Living in Truth’ Looks Like in the Face of Climate Catastrophe

DIRECT ACTIONS
1,000+ Arrested as Extinction Rebellion Protests in London Enter Second Week
Extinction Rebellion says, "This is an emergency".

'A New Day in New York': City Council Passes Visionary Climate Bill

Youth-Led Petition Urges 2020 Democratic Candidates to Hold Climate Debate

Ohio county sues EPA over Lake Erie cyanobacertia blooms

SUSTAINABLE LIVING
The world’s happiest people already have a Green New Deal, and they love it
"Green New Deal advocates in the United States should look to the Nordic countries for inspiration on how to overcome the 1 percent and address climate change." George Lakey

ENDING ON A POSITIVE
Rise up now
"There is new work to do and this is our time: a meditation for Mother Earth and the Tribe of the Human Beings by Steven Charleston (Choctaw)."

Take Action - Get Involved!

City of Santa Rosa 10th Annual Earth Day OnStage Celebration

Saturday, April 27, Noon - 4:00
Courthouse Square - Santa Rosa
The free, family-friendly event draws over 4500 attendees.  Food, live performances, earth-friendly products, eco-friendly crafts and activities for kids.

Monday, April 29, 7-9 PM
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!)
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
Please submit campaign proposals in writing: SonomaC...@gmail.com or to the SoCoCAN listserv (preferred)
Facilitator for this meeting: Emerald
Notetaker: Jory

Monday, May 6, 6-9 PM, Free with donations welcome
Occupy Sonoma County presents - Climate Change or Diet Change?: Earth Conscious Eating
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa 95401
6:00-7:00 PM. Plant-based potluck. Everyone who is able - please bring a potluck dish to share
7:00-9:00 PM Teach-in with Cyrelle McDonald, natural foods chef and health educator at Bauman College
We will share recipes, meal plans, and how-to information on switching to a healthy plant-based diet, for one or for a family on a budget
Free seed exchange - bring your extra seeds to share
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650 (website contact preferred)

Monday, May 20, 7-9 PM
Occupy Sonoma County Earth Action Campaign Meeting
We will be discussing our plans for Plastic Free July - and other stuff.
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650

Wednesday, ​May 22, 7pm
350 Sonoma Meeting
For more info go to Facebook: 350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sonomacounty@gmail.com

Volunteer

• OSC is putting on teach-ins on May 6 (plant-based eating for climate change), and July 22 (zero waste).  Please adopt the bulletin boards where you already shop.  Download flyers from our website or pick them up at the Peace & Justice Center Monday-Friday 1-4 PM.  Please let us know what bulletin boards you can cover.  Thank you.
• If you are an experienced builder who can help us build raised bed garden boxes please contact us.  We also need help delivering them if you have a truck.  This could be an occasional or ongoing project.  Sadly, our garden box builder is no longer with us.

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
 ​ (
en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.