Monday December 9th: RCPA Measure M, v2.0

Pete Gang

Dec 5, 2019, 3:08:21 PM12/5/19
to Wayne Yamagishi, Alex Goodman, Rebecca Chaboya, Bonnie Bibas, Bonnie Hamilton, Wayne Yamagishi, Grant Bradski, Katie Cartwright, kevin Conway, Melissa Ahearn, Nancy Conway, Naomi Anderson, Natasha Juliana, Nevin Wolfe-Sallouti, Sanna Thomas, Steven Pierce, Suzanne Farver, Suzy Karazik, Timothy Bingham, Ula Camastro, Gayle Goodbread, Diane Wheeler, mt...@aol.com, Mark Mortensen, Tyra Benoit, Andy Ferguson, Michael Lipelt, Elaine Wellin, Elaine Wellin, Laura Neish, mere c, Wally Juchert
Dear friends and allies,

At its Monday December 9th meeting, the Board of the Sonoma County Transportation Authority (SCTA) will be discussing an update of Measure M, the 2004 ballot measure that established a quarter-cent sales tax targeted toward transportation in our County.

Currently, that quarter-cent sales tax amounts to $22 million per year, allocated as follows:
  • 40% for freeway widening
  • 40% for local road paving and local road projects
  • 10% for bus transit
  • 5% for SMART train
  • 4% for bike/ped projects
  • 1% for administration
That amounts to 80% for roads and a measly 19% for transit/bike/ped (or “alternative transit”). In a county that has just declared a climate emergency, that is not acceptable!

We need to flip the scales: instead of 80% for roads and 19% for transit/bike/ped, we need at least two thirds for transit/bike/ped and one third for roads!

Short of flying cars and teleporting, there is no credible vision of a carbon-free future that does not feature a robust (intra-and inter-city) network of bike paths and bike lanes and an integrated public transit system that is free or low-cost for all.

If we’re are sincere about a livable future, that’s where the bulk of future Measure M funds must go.

Please come to the SCTA Board meeting on Monday December 9th at 2:30 at 411 King Street in Santa Rosa to help steer us toward a livable future

If you can’t come, please send a short email to the Board members. Your statement can be as short as this:

"In recognition of our climate crisis, I ask that ⅔ of all future transportation spending be allocated to transit/bike/ped infrastructure. We want a future that’s more like Copenhagen and less like LA.”

Thanks for all that you do!

Pete

Pete Gang

Dec 6, 2019, 5:28:47 PM12/6/19
to Wayne Yamagishi, Alex Goodman, Rebecca Chaboya, Bonnie Bibas, Bonnie Hamilton, Wayne Yamagishi, Grant Bradski, Katie Cartwright, kevin Conway, Melissa Ahearn, Nancy Conway, Naomi Anderson, Natasha Juliana, Nevin Wolfe-Sallouti, Sanna Thomas, Steven Pierce, Suzanne Farver, Suzy Karazik, Timothy Bingham, Ula Camastro, Gayle Goodbread, Diane Wheeler, mt...@aol.com, Mark Mortensen, Tyra Benoit, Andy Ferguson, Michael Lipelt, Elaine Wellin, Elaine Wellin, Laura Neish, mere c, Wally Juchert
Dear friends and allies,

It turns out that SCTA (Sonoma County Transportation Authority) is soliciting your views about transportation alternatives for our County.

Please please take 5 minutes to complete this survey: https://scta-rcpa.typeform.com/to/cjEqY8

Thank you!

Pete