Fwd: BREAKING: Case dismissed... we can't be stopped - Greenpeace

Emerald

Feb 19, 2019, 6:57:53 AM2/19/19
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding, great news from Greenpeace on 2/15: "The USD $900 million lawsuit from Energy Transfer — the company behind the Dakota Access Pipeline against Greenpeace and others has been thrown out of court!" - see below.

Image

Case
                                    Dismissed!

The movement cannot be stopped!

The USD $900 million lawsuit from Energy Transfer — the company behind the Dakota Access Pipeline against Greenpeace and others has been thrown out of court!

I couldn’t be more thankful for your solidarity as we faced this unprecedented challenge.

The lawsuit tried to rewrite history by falsely claiming that Greenpeace actually orchestrated the Standing Rock protests. This was a racist slap in the face to the peaceful, Indigenous-led movement that inspired people all over the world.

As if that weren’t enough, this kind of lawsuit is also intended to silence free speech, intimidate people from gathering and speaking out, and drain the resources of anyone who disagrees with the company. At times, the lawsuit felt like a massive weight held over my head, and the heads of our entire movement.

But thanks to your support, we didn’t let Energy Transfer distract us from our critical work fighting new dirty pipelines and doing all we do for the environment.

So this is bigger than a win in court. It shows that people power and democracy — and everyone fighting to protect people’s rights, land, and water from destructive pipelines — can overcome greedy fossil fuel corporations.

In the last few months, people all around the world have shown immense courage in the face of this intimidating lawsuit. These types of bogus lawsuits are only succeeding in bringing movements and activists together, as shown by the Protect The Protest task force1 launched by Greenpeace, the ACLU, EarthRights International, Human Rights Watch, and many others.

We couldn’t have done this without the tremendous support of people like you. Over 400,000 people have pushed back against Energy Transfer and its dirty tactics by calling on a group of leading global banks not to fund its destructive tar sands pipelines in light of the threats they pose to human rights, Indigenous sovereignty, and a safe climate.

While the lawsuit’s dismissal is a huge relief, this fight is far from over. As threats to land, water, and people’s basic rights continue, the peaceful resistance against destructive pipelines will go on — from Bayou Bridge in Louisiana to Line 3 in Minnesota.

With all our gratitude,

Annie Leonard
Executive Director, Greenpeace USA

P.S. Did you know that Greenpeace doesn’t take a cent from corporations, governments, or political parties? That’s what allows us to stay independent — and it’s thanks to people like you.

Greenpeace never takes a dime from corporations or governments. Everything we do is thanks to the generous support of people like you!

Greenpeace

702 H Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20001 | 1-800-722-6995

(Donation requests removed as per OSC listserv policy)